all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Unilateral Strength Imbalance

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Ronin47

First Post
Hey Everyone,
I am just getting back to training after a series of injuries, the latest of which is a herniated disk in my neck at the c6-c7 level. This has caused a considerable loss of strength in one tricep, making push ups and pressing difficult. I have worked back up to pressing a 16kg Kbell with the weak arm. However, I am now pressing a 24kg Kbell with my other arm. My question to you all is, will this cause an imbalance in my upper body that I should be worried about? I have read some articles about unilateral training for people with injured limbs having carry over from the healthy limb to the injured one, but wanted to get some more opinions from the trenches. Thanks!

Michael,

So if you walk over to a wall and push the (pinky) side of your hand "into the wall," nothing happens? Is the muscle completely "dead"?

Sean

Michael, after a "series of injuries," I would make not getting injured priority #1. Have a movement screen done, follow its advice, and focus on easy-to-moderate exercise while trying to figure out _why_ you've had a series of injuries.

The first rule is Do No Harm - don't go near things that might get your reinjured until you have a complete understanding of how you got to where you are and have a plan for getting to a better place.

-S-

Sean,
The muscle is not completely “dead". But it is a great deal weaker than the other side. For example, doing pushups use to be no trouble, as I had to do them for PT test for my job. Now I can barely do 5. AS for any kind of weight training, I can do about half as much with the weak side as I can with the strong side. Should I continue to develope them individualy or with this cause problems later on?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom