all posts post new thread

Unity - Wave

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Tjerr

Level 6 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
Intro.
A couple of months ago, maybe a year or longer, I've started with my own programming. My client's had some great results with this type of programming, but I've been focussing om my own SFG 1. After my SFG I started Simple & Sinister again and build it in an A+A style up to 40 kg again.

On a smoking hot day while started doing a 40 kg get up my left shoulder semi-dislocated (bottom arm was wet and slippery from 160 swing @40), so I've stopped Simple & Sinister for now and wanted to focus on something else for now.

I really liked the wave version after the simple goal, so I've decided to add my previous program to the Pavel wave cycle and I will try this out for a couple of weeks.

Initial Thoughts.
The original program was strength based (3 x 5 reps) working only with the fundamental human movement patterns. After some research I've chosen 8 basic human movements and every training consited 1 exercise for every fundamental movement:"
  • Push
  • Pull
  • Squat
  • Hinge
  • Lunge
  • Rotation
  • Anti-Rotation
  • Loaded Carry
So, as example, on monday I could do Presses as push, on tuesday floor presses, wednesday Get up's, thursday push presses and friday some push ups. For my client's it worked like a charm, but the 3 x 5 approach was effective, but the same everytime. So I wanted to spice things up a little.

Unity: Background.
The goal of the programme is GPP (General Physical Preparedness). I want people to train every movement with a periodization format which means the volume of the training changes everytime. So, normally every exercise was 3 x 5 reps, which means 15 reps a day, 75 a week, and 300 a block of 4 weeks. I've waved these 300 reps in 4 weeks:
  • Deload; 45 reps the week (15%), 3 sessions.
  • Maintenance; 60 reps the week (20%), 4 session.
  • Development; 90 reps the week (30%), 4 sessions.
  • Stress-Development 100 reps the week (35%), 5 sessions.
The goal is to do a maximum of 3 x 5 for grinds (or less) and 3 x 10 for ballistics (or less). As example, in the 45 week there are 3 training days with a volume of 10, 15 and 20. On a 20 reps (press)day, we can use different exercises to get to 20 reps presses (each arm). This can also mean that while the press is Deload, the squat will be Stress-Development (100 reps) in the same week.
  • Option: 3 x 5 + 5 press (15 each arm), 3 x 1 + 1 One legged press, 1 + 1 bent press = 20 presses.
I've took the big six as basic exercises to be used almost every training, and the SFG 2 exercises as a specialized variety, and added some of my own exercises.

Unity:
A training that should never last more then 45 minutes. A typical form is [X] reps get up, 3 rounds of complex [X], loaded carry. I love using my Heartrate monitor so I will test with the Mafftone +/- 10 rule from a StrongFirst blogpost. For me: Maf = 150, so 160 max to 140 under. I'll do the first exercise, take a rest until my heartrate is 140 again and continue to the next exercise. When heartrate exceeds 160 I stop the exercise. This hasn't beent tested yet, so I may tweak this to only Maf (150 upper and 130 lower). I will try to do 5 training sessions the week.

Attachments

• Unity Tools.jpg
    Unity Tools.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Last week I tried my first 3 trainings of my program.

I liked it but it wasn't quite there yet. two things that bothered me most were the 'Exercises for the sake of variety' and I couldn't get my head around the fact that my press had the same weight with one arm, while my squat was the same weight on two legs.

So I threw away my first program and made a new one.

I still used the wave from Pavel, but I choose my exercises from th SFG 1 and SFG 2 course. No variety for the sake of variety, but quality exercises. Second, I made a randomness between lines. So when I have a 45 press week, and have to do 20 that training, the maximum amount for the press is 3 x 5, I always add 2+ 2 bent press in the workout. So every Push is based on the press, with variety after the 3 x 5 reps. For the 60 week I add (double) push presses and the 90 week will be (double) push jerks. So the workout is different every day, but within guidelines.

My workout from yesterday:

3 x 1 + 1 Get up @ 32

3 rounds of the following complex @24
- 5 + 5 Press
- 5 Double Front Squat
- 5 Double Clean
- 8 + 8 One arm Swing
- 10 Tactical Lunge
- 3 Double Push Jerk
- 1 + 1 Double Reverse Lunge
- 10 + 10 Snatch

Finishing with a 2 x 60m suitcase walk

I started every exercise with a heartrate of 140 and didn't pay attention to the upper limit. So 5 presses left, wait until 140, 5 presses right.
The training was 42 minutes, max heartrate 172 (double front squat) average heartrate was 146, never started an exercise while being out of breath. I felt in complete controle during the whole training. Recovery time according to my watch, 36 hours.

Last edited:
Training 2

Yesterday was a hard one, but what I love from my waviness, today was quite easy.

Today no get up's but only three rounds of the following complex:

- 10 Tactical Lunge
- 5 Double Clean & Front Squat
- 5 + 5 Press
- 7 + 7 One arm Swing
- 5 Double Push Jerk
- 5 + 5 Double reverse Lunge (goblet)

2 x 25 m single arm overhead walk

Average HR 145, max 171 (again double front squats), 21 minutes and 271 calories burned.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom