all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Universal Truths

• Thread starter Deleted member 5559
  • Start date
Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 5559

There are so many programs, philosophies, opinions, etc. I often attempt to find the universal arguments. For example, I've never heard anyone say, "I wish I would have taken less vacations." Therefore, vacations, I assume, to be good. I was hoping to see what universal truths are in the strength community. So far I can only think of two:
  1. Lift weights
  2. Recover

..."Swing and Getups."
I think an argument could be made for strength through other movements without these.

@Harald Motz do you mean waves vs linear programming or periods of plateaus and growth

I see a trend around, "you have to do the work and pay the dues"

@Bro Mo "Swings & Getups" are definitely not the be all end all, although I am relating them to your search for Universal Truths in the sense that a minimalist approach that yields maximum results for the most people is relevant here. I also believe that these movements are an excellent representation of combining raw strength with athleticism.

If you think a strength can be turned into a weakness,
I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness.

-Jack Handey

Would it be fair to say these:

1. Lifting weights tends to make you less likely to get sick.
2. Lifting weights much reduces chances of heart disease, stroke and cancer.
3. Lifting weights tends to increase life span significantly.

There are so many programs, philosophies, opinions, etc. I often attempt to find the universal arguments. For example, I've never heard anyone say, "I wish I would have taken less vacations." Therefore, vacations, I assume, to be good. I was hoping to see what universal truths are in the strength community. So far I can only think of two:
  1. Lift weights
  2. Recover
I've noticed two things that seem to be pretty consistent.
- Presence/focus at the practice and set scale.
- Processing/thinking outside of practice/set about what can improve in the next practice/set. This can be pretty unconscious. A while back I was on an pretty intense snatch protocol. I remember on many occasions falling asleep with my body twitching as it was already dreaming about doing snatches. Usually for me it's conscious, something like "the press didn't go as well today, and I didn't follow the bell with my eye like I usually do. Remember to put that back in."

We've all seen and some have been (right here) the person who has been going to the gym for years, but their mind is on the TV, the podcast, the music, the other people, while they are there and they don't think about it again until they are there next time looking for an empty machine. I suspect if nothing in their training got more sophisticated, but these two things changed you'd see progress.

do you mean waves vs linear programming or periods of plateaus and growth
is there such a thing as linear programming at all? Even when some programs may have some kind of linearity in it, they usually go back, and recycle with a bit more of intensity.

With waving regarding training I mean going up and down in volume (reps and sets) and intensity on a daily and weekly basis, waving exercises (same but different) on a more multiple month basis.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom