all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Updated RoP swing/snatch programming?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

One T

Level 2 Valued Member
I'm getting ready to start RoP after S&S. I was wondering if swings and or snatch programming has received any updates in the vein if a Q&D or A+A format? The timed sessions seem to be more along the lines of a HIIT/ MetCon style which appears to have fallen out of favor here at StrongFirst.
Thanks.

From what I’ve been told you can do an A+A routine with swings or snatches prior to your presses.

I'm getting ready to start RoP after S&S. I was wondering if swings and or snatch programming has received any updates in the vein if a Q&D or A+A format? The timed sessions seem to be more along the lines of a HIIT/ MetCon style which appears to have fallen out of favor here at StrongFirst.
Thanks.
They have and are available through the Kettlebell 201 Workshop.

Thanks.
I think the new recommendation is to do easy A+A before pressing.

I have written a die rolled variability plan for this. I am basically rolling the exercise (1H, 2H Swings, or Snatches), duration (6-15 minutes), effort level, and the weight to be used.

Always favoring "medium" values. The easiest version would be not to worry if you repeat a certain parameter and just roll once for each parameter. Another version would be to only allow the exercise to be repeated, but to vary everything else from session to session (as written).

Anyway, with this you need to determine your effort level on a daily basis. "Medium light" might mean something like "10x5 2H Swings @ 32 kg in 10 minutes", and "medium heavy" something like "8x8 in 8 minutes" or "12x5 in 8 minutes" with the same weight/exercise for me.

So far I really like this plan. You could change the ranges and parameters to your liking.

Die Rolled Ballistics - Bauer 22-08.JPG

I can't afford that on a working class diet of borscht. PPPOWWER TTTO YOU!
I recognize $100 is not an insignificant amount of money, especially if you have far to travel, and is one of the reasons I have yet to attend the 201 workshop - the closest one to me is 15 hrs away and in another country! Changing countries presents its own set of challenges. :)

If your goal is a program that combines clean and presses and snatches and not specifically an updated ROP, PM me. I have an idea I'm trying out.

I think the new recommendation is to do easy A+A before pressing.

I have written a die rolled variability plan for this. I am basically rolling the exercise (1H, 2H Swings, or Snatches), duration (6-15 minutes), effort level, and the weight to be used.

Always favoring "medium" values. The easiest version would be not to worry if you repeat a certain parameter and just roll once for each parameter. Another version would be to only allow the exercise to be repeated, but to vary everything else from session to session (as written).

Anyway, with this you need to determine your effort level on a daily basis. "Medium light" might mean something like "10x5 2H Swings @ 32 kg in 10 minutes", and "medium heavy" something like "8x8 in 8 minutes" or "12x5 in 8 minutes" with the same weight/exercise for me.

So far I really like this plan. You could change the ranges and parameters to your liking.

View attachment 18624
Looks good.
Personally I'd switch 1H and 2H swings.
It looks like you want a 50:50 SW to SN but 2H are easier than 1H. Definitely more on the "active recovery" side. IMO

I recognize $100 is not an insignificant amount of money, especially if you have far to travel, and is one of the reasons I have yet to attend the 201 workshop - the closest one to me is 15 hrs away and in another country! Changing countries presents its own set of challenges. :)

If your goal is a program that combines clean and presses and snatches and not specifically an updated ROP, PM me. I have an idea I'm trying out.
I was only kidding. I just wish they would share an updated RoP with the average person who doesn't want to attend an event regardless of money.

Looks good.
Personally I'd switch 1H and 2H swings.
It looks like you want a 50:50 SW to SN but 2H are easier than 1H. Definitely more on the "active recovery" side. IMO
Thanks.
Initially I wanted an equal distribution of 1H Sw, 2H Sw, and Snatches. But then I decided towards Snatches as I want to practice them more often. And because my Snatches are still pretty light (12 to 20 kg) they don't stress my legs much. Therefore I kept the 2H Sw (up to 40 kg), and reduced the 1H Sw.

All of this might change when my proficiency and priorities change.

As written the ROP still works really well. It is probably the most drastic physical change I've experienced on a pavel program.
But if you want a guide on programming the snatches check out the conditioning portion of this article: A Science-Based Plan to Prepare You for the SFG Level I and SFG Level II | StrongFirst

It aims to get you in the same place as the RoP does.
Thanks for all the replies! I'm thinking that running the swing/snatch programming in Marker's plan with ladders on strength days is my best option as my C&P 1RM isn't quite heavy enough and I don't have the bells for the percentage weights. And these days kettlebells have gone up almost as much as gasoline
That and I really like a daily, wake up and get it done, 30-45 min practice.

Do the two hand heavy day of swings as written. 40= 45 seconds on 15-20 off
Do the two hand medium day of swings as written. 35-40 seconds on 20-25 off
Do the snatch on easy day as written. 30 seconds on 30 off Or 5 reps each side.

Why reinvent the wheel?

Do the two hand heavy day of swings as written. 40= 45 seconds on 15-20 off
Do the two hand medium day of swings as written. 35-40 seconds on 20-25 off
Do the snatch on easy day as written. 30 seconds on 30 off Or 5 reps each side.

Why reinvent the wheel?
Not necessarily reinventing but refining. After reading Q&D and running a 12 week cycle to train for the Tour Divide, it's become very apparent that Anti Glycolytic training works very well for me. In RoP even the medium days can push into glycolosis. And as a mountain biker I likely push into glycoloysis more than I should. Thus my inquiry for a something based on an A+A/AGT model.

@One T You could also do 2-3x 044 template per week, sometimes with Snatches, sometimes with 2H or 1H Swings. Sometimes same day (maybe in the AM), sometimes the day after your presses.

Don't forget the option of only doing two series with 5/4 and limiting power a bit on days when you feel off.

If running ROP for hypertrophy, Id think you'd want more glycolysis than A+A.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom