all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Upper back pain after DFW

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Maldus

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi guys!
This is Maldo, from Spain. I have been reading this forum for years (I have to say I really appreciate this community), and now is time to post my first message, sadly to ask about pain...
Background: I'm 49, 93 Kg, 1.78m, I have benn with S&S, doing timeless simple and I could do several TGU with 40kg. I can press 1 or 2 times the 32kg bell, depending on the day. I have been learning the basics a couple of times with a certified SF trainer.
Last month I started DFW with a pair of 20kg KB, and it felt great. When finished, I tested my C&P with 24kg (one arm) and could do 7 reps, so I started with this weight. The 3rd day I felt the upper back getting sore but I finished the session. The day after mi upper back was in pain, the spine between the blades. I stopped the training and I am feeling better now but still notice the area, so I will wait a little bit more.
My questions->
a)Which technique should I try to refine or watch in the C&P or DFSQ? (I can´t go to my strongfirst trainer now) Wich could be the reason for this?
b)Which exercises can I use meanwhile without risking my recuperation? After DFW I was thinking to buy the Strong program, but I don't think is a good idea now. One of my future goals is naked warrior and pull ups. Could I go for it?

Thank you!

Hi guys!
This is Maldo, from Spain. I have been reading this forum for years (I have to say I really appreciate this community), and now is time to post my first message, sadly to ask about pain...
Background: I'm 49, 93 Kg, 1.78m, I have benn with S&S, doing timeless simple and I could do several TGU with 40kg. I can press 1 or 2 times the 32kg bell, depending on the day. I have been learning the basics a couple of times with a certified SF trainer.
Last month I started DFW with a pair of 20kg KB, and it felt great. When finished, I tested my C&P with 24kg (one arm) and could do 7 reps, so I started with this weight. The 3rd day I felt the upper back getting sore but I finished the session. The day after mi upper back was in pain, the spine between the blades. I stopped the training and I am feeling better now but still notice the area, so I will wait a little bit more.
My questions->
a)Which technique should I try to refine or watch in the C&P or DFSQ? (I can´t go to my strongfirst trainer now) Wich could be the reason for this?
b)Which exercises can I use meanwhile without risking my recuperation? After DFW I was thinking to buy the Strong program, but I don't think is a good idea now. One of my future goals is naked warrior and pull ups. Could I go for it?

Thank you!

Hi Maldo,

You said you had been working with an Instructor previously. I would just revisit and let him check your form with lighter and heavier bells.

You’ve built strength already if you’re able to use mentioned weights. It’s just a matter of refining.

First, get a doctor check it for you if you are still experiencing pain.

If there is just a slight pain/ discomfort, Try doing all the lifts you do with very light bells and see where you can get without pain.

Have a read of this and the other article on this website below

My questions->
My speculation is this is from a bad upper body pull, most likely when you were dropping the the bells out of their rack or on the bottom of a double clean. It's easy to do if you lose the tension in your upper back after a fatiguing set. Obviously, I'd avoid anything that involves upper body pulls (this includes when you have to clean and unrack bells). For me, it seems like the upper back takes longer to recover from tweeks than lower back, so I wouldn't rush it.

When you get started again in the future, you should incorporate some isometric holds of the double bells in rack position. Both standing and in the bottom of the squat position. This will help you build the ability of maintaining tension in the upper back. Good Luck!

My speculation is this is from a bad upper body pull, most likely when you were dropping the the bells out of their rack or on the bottom of a double clean. It's easy to do if you lose the tension in your upper back after a fatiguing set. Obviously, I'd avoid anything that involves upper body pulls (this includes when you have to clean and unrack bells). For me, it seems like the upper back takes longer to recover from tweeks than lower back, so I wouldn't rush it.

When you get started again in the future, you should incorporate some isometric holds of the double bells in rack position. Both standing and in the bottom of the squat position. This will help you build the ability of maintaining tension in the upper back. Good Luck!

I can get similar symptoms if I get sloppy / fatigued.

For me, it usually manifests as a trigger point / knot that makes my scapular motion feel crunchy, as if my scapula is passing over a big bump. Self-myofascial release (roller, lacrosse ball), stretching, and then re-patterning the motion with Indian clubs and bands helps.

Also:

I no longer do "real" RM tests....I usually stop 1-2 reps short of what I could do if I went to failure, leaving more in the tank, and just adding to the calculation.

Last edited:
Thank you for your help, really great information.
This morning I have been doing easy 5x1+1 TGU with 24kg KB, and easy one hand C&P with 16Kg, few reps, focusing on technique. No pain, we'll see tomorrow...
Thank you guys!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom