all posts post new thread

Barbell Upper Back Rounding In "Powerlifting" Con ventional Deadlift

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kenny Croxdale

Level 7 Valued Member
Upper Back Rounding in the Conventional "Powerlifting" Deadlift

Below is some additional information of allowing Upper Back Rounding in a Conventional Deadlift.

Why can you lift more weight when you round your back?

Rounding your back a bit shortens the length of the torso in the sagittal plane. In non-nerd speak, it lets you keep your hips closer to the bar front-to-back so they don’t have to work as hard to lift the same amount of weight. It’s actually very similar to how you can lift more weight in the low bar squat than the high bar squat – dropping the bar a couple inches lower on your back effectively “shortens” your torso so, all other things being equal, it requires less work from your hips to move the same amount of weight.

1598101352516.png

The numbers assume a lifter is 6 feet tall with average body proportions – 72 inches tall, the torso is about 30% of total body height for the average person, so that gives us 21.6 inches.

With the spine in a neutral position, it’s about 15.3 inches “long” front-to-back. With some (pretty substantial) rounding, that number is decreased to ~11.7 inches. That change in length front-to-back represents a huge decrease in the amount of hip extension torque that would be required to lift any given weight.

Takeaways:

Rounding your back makes the deadlift more mechanically efficient by reducing how much hip extension torque your hamstrings and glutes have to produce in order to lift any given weight.

Upper Back Rounding and COG (Center of Gravity)

As Dr Bret Contreras, another benefit of Upper Back Rounding in a Conventional "Powerlifting" Deadlift is that it enable a lifter to keep the bar in closer to the Body's Center of Gravity.

Dr Tom McLaughlin's Deadlift COG Researach
McLaughlin, T. "The Biomechanics of Powerlifting: The Deadlift," Powerlifting USA, Jul. 1981, p. 15.

McLaughlin's research determined that the effective load in a Deadlift is increased 25% if the bar swing out an inch rather from the Body's Center of Gravity.

400 lb Deadllift Math Example

Based on McLaughlin's research that means if an individual is performing a 400 lb Deadlift, allowing the bar to drive an inch away for the body would effective increase the bar load to 440 lbs!

Another interesting piece of McLaughlin's research with the Conventional "Powerlifting" Deadlift is also in regard to...

Leg Pressing The Weight Off The Floor

Many individuals are coached in the Deadlift to focus on, "Driving the feet through the floor; in other words, Leg Pressing the weight off the floor.

This method is counter productive for individual who's focus is on performing a Conventional "Powerlifting" Deadlift with the heaviest weight possible.

That because (McLauhlin's Research) the lower back is responsible for breaking the weight off the floor with some assistance from the legs.

A couple of examples in of the differences are....

Konstantinovs Deadlift

"He has deadlifted 939 in competition, but has said in interviews that he once tried to train his deadlift without letting his spine flex at all, and was unable to pull much over 700 pounds "

Contreras Deadlift

"With what's deemed "perfect form," characterized by maintenance of the natural lordotic and thoracic spinal curvature with the extension revolving around the hip joints, I'm able to pull 425 pounds. If I allow my back to round considerably, I can pull 565 pounds."

Strong Drive Off The Floor

Conventional "Powerlifting" Deadlifters are traditionally strong in coming off the floor. The sticking point is usually in the knee area.

That due to the fact that they initiate the drive off the floor with their lower back with some assistance from the legs

Slow Off The Floor

The issue with the majority of Conventional Deadlifters who are slower off the floor in the Deadlift is that they are Leg Pressing weight off the floor (Diving The Feet Through The Floor) rather than initiating the drive off the floor with their lower back.

Two Different Conventional Deadlifts

Essentially, there are two different type of Conventional Deadlifts...

1) Olympic Conventional Deadlifts

This method utilize Leg Drive to break the weight off the floor. This method allows Olympic Lifters to correctly position the bar for the Second Pull.

2) Powerlifting Conventional Deadlifts

This method utilizes the lower back to break weight off the floor. Upper Back Rounding ensure bar/weight is kept closer to the Body's Center of Gravity, as well as decreasing the distance the bar need to be pulled.

The Right Tool For The Right Job

These Deadlifts are tools.

Chose the right tool for the right job.

Attachments

• 1598101179770.png
    1598101179770.png
    106.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Good stuff @kennycro@@aol.com

I always found when trying to “leg drive” a conventional deadlift, my hips would be too low, knees too forward and my body would readjust to the proper position before I commenced the lift without the bar moving wasting energy.

Of course I pull sumo now but my foot stance is just outside my grip I.e. very narrow, unconventional sumo, I suppose, so the same rule applies. I find the legs are not weak when they’re in the higher hip position and my pull is much stronger focusing on my torso stiffness than leg drive.

I pull sumo now but my foot stance is just outside my grip I.e. very narrow, unconventional sumo, I suppose, so the same rule applies. I find the legs are not weak when they’re in the higher hip position and my pull is much stronger focusing on my torso stiffness than leg drive.

Squat-Deadlift

This is a pretty good article with a video on your Deadlift Method.

My only complaint with the Seedman's article is that the Squat*Deadlift "Basically has no sticking point." This is absurd.

Every movement has some weak link, has a sticking point.

Squat-Deadlift

This is a pretty good article with a video on your Deadlift Method.

My only complaint with the Seedman's article is that the Squat*Deadlift "Basically has no sticking point." This is absurd.

Every movement has some weak link, has a sticking point.

Yes I’ve seen this one but it does seem he gets his hips pretty low and drives the 45 degree torso angle quite heavily, almost like he’s making the deadlift more as a squat. I feel my style is almost exactly a conventional deadlift, execution wise (higher hips, torso closer to floor) just with the feet outside the hands ie Inzer.

I pull rounded back style, and have had great success. I have a long torso and I think that's why it works for me. However one thing I noticed is it's almost impossible (at least I think it is) to pull the slack out of the bar, since your shoulders/lats are protracted. I noticed KK never pulled the slack out either. I don't know anyone outside of JJ Morris (Strong8) who thinks this is optimal. Everyone tells me to arch my back and pull the slack out, but if I do either it ruins my rounded back, and I can't pull nearly as much. It is frustrating because people don't get it.

I pull rounded back style, and have had great success. I have a long torso and I think that's why it works for me.

Different Types of Conventional Deadlifts

There are essentially two type of Conventional Deadlifts...

1) Olympic Conventional Deadlifts

With this Deadlift the adage is to "Drive your leg into the floor" to initiate the movement. In other words, "Leg Press" the weight off the floor.

This method should be implemented with First Pull in an Olympic Pulling Movements. Doing allows the back to be maintained for the optimal position for the explosive, Second Pull.

With that said, this method is less effective for a Conventional Powerlifting Deadlift or for most Conventional Deadlift in a 1 Repetition Max.

As per the information in my previous post.../

Konstantinovs Deadlift

He has deadlifted 939 in competition, but has said in interviews that he once tried to train his deadlift without letting his spine flex at all, and was unable to pull much over 700 pounds "

Contreras Deadlift

"With what's deemed "perfect form,"
characterized by maintenance of the natural lordotic and thoracic spinal curvature with the extension revolving around the hip joints, I'm able to pull 425 pounds. If I allow my back to round considerably, I can pull 565 pounds."

2) Conventional Powerlifting Deadlift

With most Conventional Deadlifter, some Upper Back Rounding is going to occur; for the reason explained in the my previous post.

JJ Morris (Strong8)

I was not familiar with him. So, I reviewed the interview with him on...

JJ Morris

At 1 hour: 15 Seconds into the interview , Morris goes into Back Rounding in the Deadlift.

Everyone tells me to arch my back and pull the slack out, but if I do either it ruins my rounded back, and I can't pull nearly as much. It is frustrating because people don't get it.
"....People don't get it."

For some reason, the "Drive your leg into the floor"; in other words "Leg Press" the weight off the floor in ALL Deadlifts continues to be perpetuated.

The irony is that research by Dr Tom McLaughlin (PhD Exercise Bio-mechanics/former Powerlifter) demonstrated decades ago that in the Conventional Powerlifting Deadlift, the back break weight off the floor.

Contreras' research along with other article and anecdotal data have demonstrated Upper Back Rounding allows the bar to be kept closer to the COG, body's Center of Gravity. The farther that bar is from the COG, the more the weight of the bar is magnified.

How Much Can You Leg Press Off The Floor?

When someone as you how much you can Deadlift, they often ask, "How much can you pull?"

The because the Deadlift is a Pulling Movement.

No one will ask you, "How much can you Leg Press off the floor".

That because the Deadlift is a Pulling Movement.

Summary

Which Conventional Deadlifting Method you chose is dependent on what your objective is.

Choose the right tool for the right job.

How Much Can You Leg Press Off The Floor?

When someone as you how much you can Deadlift, they often ask, "How much can you pull?"

The because the Deadlift is a Pulling Movement.

No one will ask you, "How much can you Leg Press off the floor".

That because the Deadlift is a Pulling Movement.
I don't get the "Drive your legs into the floor" talk. That's beginner nonsense. A better cue would be to "Push the hips through". Activating the hips, glutes and the whole "Hinge" push works a lot better, IME.

I don't get the "Drive your legs into the floor" talk. That's beginner nonsense. A better cue would be to "Push the hips through". Activating the hips, glutes and the whole "Hinge" push works a lot better, IME.
Disagree. Visualization can be quite powerful, and whatever visualization lets you move the most weight in a safe manner is perfectly fine. Some people, me included, like the "push" cue, while others focus on bringing the hips through. There are many ways, once you've reached a certain point, to deadlift. For me, it has to be rounded upper back and push the floor away - if I don't do those things, I'm fine until the weight gets heavy, but then it doesn't budge.

-S-

I feel that the 'drive your legs into the floor' cue makes a lot more sense in the context of doing a clean in Olympic lifting where the focus is on maintaining the same back angle until you pass the knees so you can set-up a powerful hip extension when the time comes.

Practising cleans this way allowed me to add 12kg to my deadlift without training my deadlift much at all and finally pull double bodyweight. I'm pretty sure my max deadlift didn't look anything like my clean pull but there was certainly a heap of leg-drive involved in getting the bar up.

Body proportions play a part as well and the vertical-shinned, high hipped 'Andy Bolton style' deadlift never worked that well for me. If you start with your hips lower, 'pressing your legs through the floor' feels like just about the only way to get things moving while staying balanced.

Disagree. Visualization can be quite powerful, and whatever visualization lets you move the most weight in a safe manner is perfectly fine. Some people, me included, like the "push" cue, while others focus on bringing the hips through. There are many ways, once you've reached a certain point, to deadlift. For me, it has to be rounded upper back and push the floor away - if I don't do those things, I'm fine until the weight gets heavy, but then it doesn't budge.

-S-
I pulled rounded back when I competed. Very rounded upper back. I had a great pull. I learned to push my hips through on Car Deadlift, and it changed to lift. Once it breaks the ground I stop thinking about "Up". It's a lot easier to think "Push the hips through". It feels like cheating. Sure. I'm obviously still driving with the legs, and doing every other "Cue" that people reference. I do them all automatically by pushing the hips through. I am still Deadlifting well over 600 1RM at 48 years old. More than 2x BW. That will not work for everyone, the DL is my natural lift and it requires no firect work at all to maintain. Squats, on the other hand, typically get all of my focus to get anywhere even though we are talking largely about the same muscles.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom