all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed USAF Fitness Assessment

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

the hansenator

Level 6 Valued Member
I was looking at PT: THE U.S. AIR FORCE FITNESS ASSESSMENT, LONGEVITY & QUALITY OF LIFE from @Al Ciampa.

I really like the idea of having a few tests that can act as an indicator of ones health with some solid guidelines for improving. It looks like it was written with younger, able bodied, enlisted personal in mind. And it doesn't give the specific numbers to aim for, are those available?

Anyway, I was wondering if there would be any adjustments for the 50+ age range or if there are other fitness assessments or guidelines that might serve a similar purpose? It would be reassuring, or give me something to work on, to know if I meet some reliable health indicators.

Note: I don't have any particular reason for concern or anything to take to the doctor. Just trying to stay healthy.

Yes, there are adjustments for age. Here's a link to the standards charts.

It's a decent assessment. I was active duty Air Force from '88-'99 and Air National Guard from '99-'08, so I had 20 years of this annual test...Except for some years in the '90s when the Air Force decided to do a bike ergometry test for aerobic fitness. That had a decent theory behind it but it was somewhat of a disaster to implement, test, and convey to people how to improve. Anyway, I always passed it but never excelled... I was a smoker many of those years. I'm much healthier and fitter now, haha! Last time I tested myself to the standards in 2016 or so I beat any performance I ever had while in the military.

Yes, there are adjustments for age. Here's a link to the standards charts.
Maybe I didn't get to the bottom of the charts, but I saw run times but no distance mentioned. What's the distance? As someone who ran 3 half-marathons a few decades ago, I'm interested.

-S-

Saw some interesting charts a few years back that listed the % chance of mortality over the next 6 months based on the following.
Height to waist ratio.
Percent body fat.
Two minute plank
Sit-Rise test. From a standing position sit on ground then stand back up. You start with a score of zero and add one point if a
hand-knee-elbow-leg-arm touches ground. I've also seen this test used with the feet crossed at ankles to begin descent
and to finish in standing position with same crossed ankle position while maintaining balance.

Maybe I didn't get to the bottom of the charts, but I saw run times but no distance mentioned. What's the distance? As someone who ran 3 half-marathons a few decades ago, I'm interested.

-S-
1.5 miles for Navy and Air Force, 2 miles for Army and 3 for Marines.

I'm still actively flying in the Air Force (full/time Reservist), turn 57 in September.

I ran my Wing's Fitness Program for 3 years. I've not been active in the program for ~4 years and am going off the top of my head.

Yes, the waist measurement values don't change. Anything over 39" is failing, but there is now an "escape clause" which I'll mention later. Bottom line: health costs. Research shows the smaller one's waist the fewer health problems he/she encounters and the smaller his/her health costs to the Govt. It's not entirely fair, when I ran my Wing's fitness program we had a 6'7" CMSgt (E-9) with a 40" waist who ran his 1.5 miles between 11~12 minutes. He would have been at least in his 40's if not 50's..that's a fast time. He was in shape but penalized for his waist. Now, for members who exceed 40" if their combined pushup, situp, and run scores total at least 75 of the 80 available points they pass the test. However, to qualify for this they must test in all components including the run (more later).

The run is 60% of one's score, the waist measurement is 20%, pushups 10%, situps 10%. One can pass every component but not score 75% overall, which is minimum pass. 90% is excellent. Score 75-90 and you test every six months. Score 90 or better, you test once per year. Fail the test and you must retest within 90 days. Fail four tests and you're looking at being discharged.

There are provisions for pregnancy and injury. The medical folks write up a profile that exempts members from certain portions. I have seen that abused.

People on a run exemption walk 2 kilometer. It's no joke, the walk time is challenging.

Pushups, situps, and run times do relax with age. I'm not sure of the minimums but I do know that in the over 50 category I have to run a 10:37 1.5 mile, 35" waist, 44 pushups, and 46 situps. OK, just checked the minimums: 16:22 1.5 mile run, 39" waist (all ages), 24 pushups, and 28 situps.

I'm at work and probably missing something here and there, please fire away with questions!

Yes, a 50-59 year old male's max allowable 2km walk time is 16:40. I tried to edit the table and make it more readable but the computer gods have other ideas.

Age (yrs) Maximum Time (mins:secs)
Male Standards

Female Standards
< 30 16:16 17:22
30-39 16:18 17:28
40-49 16:23 17:49
50-59 16:40 18:11
60+ 16:58 18:53

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom