all posts post new thread

Barbell Using a bad bench and what to do about it

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

mjikia

Level 1 Valued Member
The gym I go to, which is at an optimal balance between cost/hygiene/distance from home they have these benches that don't have adjustable pins, just those two hooks. One is too low and the other is too high up. I can only unrack with bad form (with shoulders) and then try to get into position with the weight in my hands. So far I'm managing to do this, but it seems really dangerous down the road. I'm already taking up the only squat rack for a large amount of time with the squat, it seems a little obnoxious to use it for benching as well.

So I'm wondering:
1. Is this a common issue?
2. Will it be safe to keep doing this?
3. I've heard people mention that I shouldn't bench heavy without a partner, is there truth to that or is it just something scaredy cats say? (I don't always have someone I know to help me out. The random people I ask to help, sometimes help out properly and I'm happy, but sometimes they start touching the bar the moment I struggle a little, or they just don't know how to spot properly and get in the way instead of helping)
4. Should I consider an alternative? If so, what will be a good fit?
5. Is there a way to unrack that'll help me with this issue? I thought about a narrower grip as an option, but my grip is not that wide to begin with

Could also try "complaining" to management, emphasizing the danger to gym members. You never know, with diplomatic approach, they might be inspired to invest in a better bench (or two)

Hmm... #1 & 2 it's hard to say without seeing it. Maybe a photo?

#3 it depends. Are there safeties - pins or arms to set the loaded bar onto at a height just above your chest, if you fail the rep? Are you using a weight that you have any uncertainty about making the rep? Do you have any past injuries that you're afraid might cause you to need to bail on a rep? (On those last 2... best to have a spotter. Tell them to not touch the bar unless they see it start to go back down, or unless you say "take it".) If there are safeties, and/or people around that will help if needed, and you're using a weight you're confident with, it's OK to keep doing it as you are I think. One other safety measure you can take is to not collar the weights. That way you can dump them off one side and then the other as a last resort when the bar is stuck on you.

#4 dumbbell presses, maybe

#5 too low is better than too high. You want to be able to keep you shoulder-retracted tight setup position as you unrack and re-rack the bar. What's the downside to the "too low" position? Is it usable?

"3. I've heard people mention that I shouldn't bench heavy without a partner, is there truth to that or is it just something scaredy cats say?"

Definitely scaredy cats! I never ever lift with a partner and I don't ask people to spot and I do occasionally go heavy such as for singles. The goal is to know thyself and live without fear and always ALWAYS listen to Pavel when he says "never miss a rep!" but there have been some scary moments. Like the time my life was saved by a very pretty and observant young woman who dashed (in pink leg warmers) out of Pilates class to tip the weight off my neck. Oh the humiliation! I never went back to that gym but the CCTV will be somewhere. There was another occasion when I was on a cruise ship and forgot the difference between pounds and kilograms. I thought the plates looked impressive! How I even unracked is beyond me! But what goes up must come down and I let out a shrill cry of horror as the barbell went into free fall. Luckily I managed to perform the world's first bench-press-to-shoulder-press-in-one-easy-motion (and the bench was non-stick) so I shot off the end and the barbell landed where my face had previously been.

Like the time my life was saved by a very pretty and observant young woman who dashed (in pink leg warmers) out of Pilates class to tip the weight off my neck. Oh the humiliation! I never went back to that gym but the CCTV will be somewhere.
I logged in just to like this post

I’d say Bench in the rack, it far more customizable, but I doubt they have many.

"3. I've heard people mention that I shouldn't bench heavy without a partner, is there truth to that or is it just something scaredy cats say?"

Definitely scaredy cats! I never ever lift with a partner and I don't ask people to spot and I do occasionally go heavy such as for singles. The goal is to know thyself and live without fear and always ALWAYS listen to Pavel when he says "never miss a rep!" but there have been some scary moments. Like the time my life was saved by a very pretty and observant young woman who dashed (in pink leg warmers) out of Pilates class to tip the weight off my neck. Oh the humiliation! I never went back to that gym but the CCTV will be somewhere. There was another occasion when I was on a cruise ship and forgot the difference between pounds and kilograms. I thought the plates looked impressive! How I even unracked is beyond me! But what goes up must come down and I let out a shrill cry of horror as the barbell went into free fall. Luckily I managed to perform the world's first bench-press-to-shoulder-press-in-one-easy-motion (and the bench was non-stick) so I shot off the end and the barbell landed where my face had previously been.
Just as a reality check from an old geezer, all you listed to me says you've been very very lucky and would do well to start using a spotter when going really big. Just $0.02 for free, about what it's worth perhaps but how many times does one need to narrowly escape a permanently life changing injury before taking a slightly safer approach?

Just as a reality check from an old geezer, all you listed to me says you've been very very lucky and would do well to start using a spotter when going really big. Just $0.02 for free, about what it's worth perhaps but how many times does one need to narrowly escape a permanently life changing injury before taking a slightly safer approach?
@GeoffreyLevens, I think that was @LukeV 's tongue-in-cheek way of saying that you should NOT bench without a spotter or safeties. No one could use that many exclamation points and not be facetious ;-).

Last edited:
Luckily I managed to perform the world's first bench-press-to-shoulder-press-in-one-easy-motion (and the bench was non-stick) so I shot off the end and the barbell landed where my face had previously been.

My favorite part... ROFL I'm wondering if that's possible, but don't worry I'm not going to try it! Much amusement picturing it, though.

As @Anna C said, don't use collars on the bar when benching alone and I wouldn't be afraid to bench in the rack if you have to. I always did when benching heavy and nobody ever said anything as long as I put everything back afterwards.

Most folks who bench at my gym do crazy high reps (because bodybuilding, I guess?) and don't mind waiting for me to finish my sets of 2-5 reps.

Is getting a handoff possible? I had the same issue at my gym and found the lower setting to be best as it helped me wedge better and kept my shoulders down! However, too low and you’ll be doing a bench lockout. I use a wide comp grip so it was not TOO low for me, even with my monkey length arms. You could always revert to floor presses ?.

Training at home I've found my bench set up unsafe and pretty rubbish.

Personally I would only bench with a spotter or rack as you never know when it could go south (that's why they're called accidents - no one plans them!!)

I've started to floor press - take the weight off a stack of plates/steps. Good arch and there's minimal range of motion lost for me (short arms) - shy of an inch away from chest. If I fail no safety concerns

As much as I miss my bench, I find the floor press more than adequate. It's safer and takes up no room. Same space saving design as my bells.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom