all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Using a heart-rate monitor ... for the data-averse

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Harald, Polar has it's own software that works fine for tracking exercise. I use Elite HRV for monitoring Heart Rate Variability.

Andy, most of the work I have seen on heart rate variability looks at its impact on training elite athletes. Do you think it has a useful role in training average joes? ie what days to push hard, what days to back off?

Like most training tools it starts in a clinical setting, it's use for performance is discovered and it becomes utilized by athletes, and then it trickles down to us average joes. I do feel that it is useful. Once you get a baseline established it really is useful for seeing when to back off, and over time it's a good way to track changes in your autonomic nervous system.

Jeff, good overview here: http://hrvtraining.com/2012/01/16/heart-rate-variability-explained-part-1/

Andy,

Have you tracked anyone's HRV that you also switched from a historically high-intensity/glycolytic dominant program to a mod-intensity/aerobic dominated program? If so, what changes did you see?

Thanks.

I discovered that my Polar FT7 HRM monitors HRV, although it doesn't actually display a value for it. But it can present a graph that displays my current HR, along with the value of HR for where I cross over from being aerobic to glycolytic. If this is actually accurate, then I don't need to worry about whose formula is best. The way I understand it, a more favorable HRV allows me to work at a higher HR while remaining aerobic dominant. During last night's swing session that transition HR value actually increased as my workout progressed. Then at some point the monitor indicated I was glycolytic dominant and the HR I needed to achieve in order to remain aerobic dominant was significantly lower. If I understand this correctly, as soon as the HRV drops, the transition HR between aerobic and glycolytic also drops. When this occurs my swing session is over.

Al,

I cannot say that I have. Based on physiology you would think that the persons sympathetic nervous system would, over time, become more dominant. However, it's also not quite as simple as that. When the body is stressed the sympathetic nervous system kicks in, which would lower someone's HRV. But, if the body is stressed even further the pendulum swings hard to the other side.

For example, my HRV is normally in the low 60s, if my training load increases it hovers around the high 50s. When I begin to overreach, or get sick, it jumps to the high 60s. That's when I know I really need to dial it back.

So, if you get someone who has been training with a very high intensity and not recovering properly it's entirely possible that they're always in the red and thus have a high HRV, but not for a good reason.

I'm sure that's mostly review for you, but I don't have any case studies to present, so it's all I've got for you.

I've only really started using HRV in the last couple months, before that I just used resting heart rate, which is an okay proxy, but definitely less sensitive.

Andy,

Have you had any success in correlating body sensations to HRV values? In other words, have you learned what your body feels like when HRV is ready to change/is changing?

I also got HRV tracking set up. Had to buy a little widget for my phone so it would talk to my weird heart rate monitor. Unfortunately, that's where I stopped. I am very curious to see how well it reflects things like lack of sleep, and how it might inform the intensity of daily training sessions.

Hi all,
one step back, please:)
My S&S:
hr: 180-my age= 146 at most during/after the set of 10 swings. How low should my heart rate drop before starting the next step? Today I started again at 126...it took me 6min30 to finish 10x10 with my 16kg kb(heaviest kb I have), with an average hr of 128. 141 was highest hr.
Any opinions on these numbers? Am I doing anything wrong?
Thanks in advance!

Gergirl2,

You will learn from experience when to begin your next set of swings and still keep the spike in your HR below 180-age. If you think you can shorten your rest period then do it. If you see your HR going too high then lengthen your rest period a bit. Since your HR went up to 141 and your Maffetone ceiling is 146, you could probably begin your next set a little sooner, but not by much.

Thanks, Jeffrey!
My goal should be to finish the swings in 5 mins staying within the hr limits, right?

No need to keep heart rate below your 180-age level if you are shooting for 5 minutes. I think it is fine to train everyday within those limits but I wouldn't necessarily use it as a guide for when to move up in bell size. If you could do all your swings in 5 minutes and stay aerobic throughout then you would definitely be owning the bell in my opinion.

The fact that you can do a set of 10 swings with a relatively small jump in heart rate suggests to me it is time for a bigger bell :)

But I just started to swing my 16kg...bought the kb about 4 weeks ago?!My bf will kill me if I buy the next one. Perhaps working on 1hd swings with my 12kg kb could be the next task?! My actual goal is to do the "sinister" by T. Reifkind with my 16kg...that would be 4x 5,10,15,20 reps each set within 30sec. I am almost there...

If you can do 10x16 kg sets of swings in 5 minutes and stay aerobic, I reckon you would kill him ;-)

I hadn't realised you were working with 2 handed swings, maybe start practicing one handed with the 16 kg - it is a very different exercise, lots of extra forces to counteract.

lol...he'd better off behaving nicely :)
As soon as I stay within the aeroic 5 mins with 16kg, I will start working on 1hd with the 12kg...in about 4 weeks my indoor climbing will have to be reduced to 1 or 2x/week and than my grip can be strong enough to go on working with the 16kg 1hd.
I hope my TGU will be doable with 12kg soon.

Recently on "Marks daily apple.com" was an article about HRV. I think he often has good articles with good links to more scientific ones. Might be worth a read?!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom