all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Using a journal

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

conor78

Level 6 Valued Member
Has anyone got any journals they could recommend? I have been using evernote for years to save articles etc but I always seem to me productive if I actually note down my goals etc. I want to record my workouts, thoughts, goals as I work towards SFG cert in October.

@conor78, you can keep a training log here on our forum. I've been doing mine in a blog for years after first keeping it on my computer at home.

-S-

I use a large diary (started the one for 2017 already), and enter the weekly notes the next week in the training log section of the forum.

Thanks guys I'll look at logging on the forum and investing in a paper journal as well. Evernote is great for collating articles but I struggle with it in terms of logging workouts and goal setting. Similar to @offwidth, paper and pencil tends to work better for me in terms of embedding habits and sticking to a program..

Hello,

@conor78
Maybe old fashion...but simple and efficient : paper and pen.That way you can chose the form you want : chart, lines, etc...

Kind regards,

Pet'

I use excel spreadsheets. I'm a chart geek so I can see my progress at a glance.
I tried that for a while, but I love taking free-form notes, and a spreadsheet just wasn't cutting it for me.

I find that I'm most often interested in very recent workouts, e.g., to see what I did last session, or perhaps back a week or two, but only rarely do I want to go further back than that.

-S-

Hello,

Some folks almost make "Big Data Analysis" or "Deep learning" with sets / reps / measurements of all kinds (weights...). However, the simplest things are the ones which works the best. Body consciousness works great.

If one cycle ones training, then you do not need to note anything as there is an established frame to follow. E.g. Strength cycle then Power Cycle then a meet.

If you are on a long run routine, maybe it is more interesting to note once a week or something. Your performance - in terms of reps / weight - is not supposed to vary a lot from a day to another. However an each training session note on the forum can be useful to get some help or share feeling and information.

Kind regards,

Pet'

The only training log I've been able to keep up with the best is the public one here. All my other journals last a couple weeks and then I stop caring until I try to keep another one. Having it be public motivates me more to keep it going... I'm an extravert so that probably factors in significantly.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom