all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Using chalk when grip is no issue?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Nacho

Level 6 Valued Member
Pre S&S 2.0 I think lack of grip strength was holding me back a little. When I started using chalk, I had no issue with grip at all anymore even with 32kg. Now it seems like I can easily swing 32 without chalk.

But I wonder if I still should use it anyway... ? Even if I can do without it, I wonder if it sacrifices power without me necessarily noticing it. I mean if you think about it, you could as well make the argument of using vegetable oil on the handle to make it harder on your grip and it doesn’t sound like a good idea power wise, even if on could still swing. ?

so putting chalk on my hands has become a pre lift ritual for me so I more less alway use it. I also suffer from. sweaty palm syndrome so it counter acts that. to me there's no down side to chalk.

But I wonder if I still should use it anyway... ?
Great question! Personally I don't use it unless I can really tell the difference. At some point I am sure that an even surer grip won't matter. For me that is with the 24. For you that may or may not be with the 32.

so putting chalk on my hands has become a pre lift ritual for me so I more less alway use it. I also suffer from. sweaty palm syndrome so it counter acts that. to me there's no down side to chalk.

The sweat of the palm might also be different from day to day and depending on season at least. I`m thinking using chalk might make the grip feel way more consistent. It`s always at least close to same if you are using chalk.

Pre S&S 2.0 I think lack of grip strength was holding me back a little. When I started using chalk, I had no issue with grip at all anymore even with 32kg. Now it seems like I can easily swing 32 without chalk.

But I wonder if I still should use it anyway... ? Even if I can do without it, I wonder if it sacrifices power without me necessarily noticing it. I mean if you think about it, you could as well make the argument of using vegetable oil on the handle to make it harder on your grip and it doesn’t sound like a good idea power wise, even if on could still swing. ?
If you don't need something, then why use it?
(Chalk will also dry out your skin...)

If the palm isn't sweaty and you have a feel that you don't need it, let it be, but there is another use to chalk. Since it reduces friction, even if applied on the dry skin, it allows palm to remain more stable and therefore produce more power. I noticed this only with the heavy weight and smooth (or very light knurling, if speaking about barbell) surface. It is limited, it is minor, but it works for me.

If the palm isn't sweaty and you have a feel that you don't need it, let it be, but there is another use to chalk. Since it reduces friction, even if applied on the dry skin, it allows palm to remain more stable and therefore produce more power. I noticed this only with the heavy weight and smooth (or very light knurling, if speaking about barbell) surface. It is limited, it is minor, but it works for me.

When I don`t use chalk with a heavy enough bell, there is sort of slight moment at the plank where I let my grip go and re grip it. Realizing this makes me think, could this has have negative effects on the plank itself... ? I feel a bit stronger maybe in the plank when I do use chalk.

If you don't need something, then why use it?
(Chalk will also dry out your skin...)

I see what you`re saying. But I`m only trying to figure out if I need it or not. ;)
I`m starting to think I do need it to maximaze the results, even though I could do without it.

Once I got up to the 28 I started chalking. It's part of my ritual getting ready for the swings. Not sure if I need it, but I keep using it, going thru the motions of chalking my hands somehow gets mindset right to start swinging.

I have now experimented using chalk and going without it. At first I though I dont really need it since I could do the session without it... But one time I did 6 first sets without chalk and then put on some chalk for the last 4 sets and it really showed the difference for me. Felt like I got a boost of energy all over my body and the last 4 sets were so much more powerful. Not using chalk seems to really put some brakes on my hips, legs etc, because grip would not hold powerful swings.

Keep in mind that Pavel lives in California, AFAIK, so sweaty hands might be a bigger problem there than in, say, Wyoming, Nova Scotia or Finland. Unless you do your swings in the sauna, of course.

Use it if you need it. I always get some chalk in the beginning & I don’t usually need it again unless it’s humid. Get the good stuff that climbers use—friction labs—last longer. No affiliation.

Use it if you need it. I always get some chalk in the beginning & I don’t usually need it again unless it’s humid. Get the good stuff that climbers use—friction labs—last longer. No affiliation.
Yeah Friction Labs is top notch. If a person feels they need chalk it's the best.
But if you don't need it...

Keep in mind that Pavel lives in California, AFAIK, so sweaty hands might be a bigger problem there than in, say, Wyoming, Nova Scotia or Finland. Unless you do your swings in the sauna, of course.

Somehow I would not put it past a Finn to do swings in a sauna lol!!

I just used chalk for the first time ever (liquid form), today with one handed swings of the 24kg. I have reached Simple in the past so am familiar with this weight, am re-doing and am at 6 of the 10 sets currently. Like the previous people have mentioned, don't know if I would need it, but why not try and find out.

Generally in swings for myself if a set feels difficult it is because I catch myself hinging a bit too early and I will course correct that. Grip wise I don't feel finger fatigue in that I worry my fingers would open and I would lose a bell, but today the main thing I noticed right away, (not perceptable to me previously without chalk) was a small bit of upward rotation of the bell right at the top of the swing, and the chalk eliminated that. Very eye opening. Overall swings felt a lot better, I think I will keep going with this !!

When I don`t use chalk with a heavy enough bell, there is sort of slight moment at the plank where I let my grip go and re grip it. Realizing this makes me think, could this has have negative effects on the plank itself... ? I feel a bit stronger maybe in the plank when I do use chalk.

I see what you`re saying. But I`m only trying to figure out if I need it or not. ;)
I`m starting to think I do need it to maximaze the results, even though I could do without it.
I've recently gone through this with the regripping issue. Someone on the forum, sorry can't remember who, turned me on to using liquid chalk, and the results have been much better when the humidity while swinging 40kg with one hand has caused a lot of slippery palm/fingers. I immediately noticed a better connection and therefore a better expression of power. My technique was much better, too. I don't know that i would use chalk if I didn't need it, but right now I definitely need it with 75%+ humidity.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom