all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Using Eccentrics to progress in calisthenics; how long is the "ideal" rep?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

bluejeff

Level 7 Valued Member
I put this in the "other" thread because I felt it could be applied to more than just calisthenics training.

This is a commonly cited article when the question of isometrics or eccentrics comes up.

Indeed, I have cited it quite a few times myself. I'm just using this article as an easy reference point for my question. In the article, Low discusses one of the common obstacles in progressing in the calisthenics world: the large jump in difficulty between variations of specific exercises (so perhaps this may apply to kettlebells in some way?). My question here has to do specifically with eccentrics only, and how to use them bridge big in resistance.

In Steven Low's book, Overcoming Gravity (2nd Edition), he writes:
the irony of eccentrics is that the studies on eccentric training seem to indicate that one-second eccentric movements are better at stimulating hypertrophy and strength adaptations that longer eccentrics such as six seconds. This means that fast eccentrics preferentially activate the HTMUs (high-tension motor units), which have the greatest potential for power, strength, and hypertrophy.

He goes on to discuss how longer eccentric times will induce metabolic adaptation, or even get into slow twitch adaptations.

Now, here's my question. Since I think it's safe to say that most of us train using both eccentric and concentric portions of a movement, unless we are moving really slow, or going into very high rep territory, we are probably mostly using fast twitch fibers for our strength work. The general recommendation in the bodyweight and calisthenics community is to use 10 second eccentrics when using them to progress from say, pike pushup to a full handstand pushup (the plateau I have been stuck at seemingly forever). According to Steven Low, faster eccentrics elecit a better HTMU response. So wouldn't it be more effective to do a slightly higher volume of faster (say, 5-second) eccentrics if you want them to carry over to concentric, less slow-twitch biased movements?

That is, performing multiple cluster sets of eccentric handstand push-ups with an eccentric time of about 5 seconds or less, versus doing something like five sets of 3-5 eccentrics with the eccentric length being 10 seconds or more.

Slow Eccentrics

Here are some of the thing we know, about Eccentrics...

Strength and Hypertrophy is develop to a much greater degee with a Faster Eccenntric than a Slow Eccentric Action.

Short-term high- vs. low-velocity isokinetic lengthening training results in greater hypertrophy of the elbow flexors in young men
https://www.physiology.org/doi/pdf/10.1152/japplphysiol.01027.2004

...higher velocity (3.66 rad/s) isokinetic lengthening contractions are associated with greater muscular hypertrophy than slower (0.35 rad/s) velocity lengthening contractions.

We observed, despite a >10-fold lower mean torque-time integral (Fig. 6), a greater degree of hypertrophy (Fig. 3) with a training protocol that involved only high velocity lengthening contractions.

Fiber type-specific changes after eccentric training

https://www.patreon.com/posts/fiber-type-after-28196633

Not every type of eccentric training causes preferential increases in type II muscle fiber area, and some types actually cause type I muscle fiber area to increase more!

#2. Preferential type I muscle fiber hypertrophy

...when slow eccentric phases are used during normal strength training, this causes increased type I muscle fiber size, ...

Slowing down and eccentric does not enhancement or recruitment so it is not "eccentric overload". It only increases time under tension.

Research shows the slow negatives do not elicit the most effective response.

Slow eccentrics for growth? - Dan Ogborn

Dan Osborne found that with eccentrics/negatives are....

1) "...greater following high rather than slow velocity eccentric actions (29)."

2) "...as far as strength was concerned, fast eccentric actions were superior."

3) "...growth of type IIa and IIx fibres was greater with fast eccentric actions."

Negatives: You're Doing Them Wrong

https://www.t-nation.com/training/ne...ing-them-wrong

As per Chris Thibaudeau...

1) ..."going slower will not improve the stimulatory affect of the eccentric. ...it won't recruit and stimulate more fast-twitch fibers."

2) "The Essential Points: Focus on heavy and controlled, not on moderate weights lowered slowly."
I remembered @kennycro@@aol.com talking about this subject (sort of) in another thread, and if it's not an inconvenience, I'd love your opinion sir ?

Hello from weightlifter world, where we routinely avoid eccentrics and drop weights. ;)

Yeah that kinda blew my mind when I realized a Clean and Jerk was a concentric pull, followed by a concentric squat, followed by a concentric push... and then a drop. And a snatch is a concentric pull followed by a concentric squat... then a drop.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom