all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Using Resistance Bands & Kettlebells In My Training

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Rabbi Derrick

Level 2 Valued Member
When working out on Sundays, Tuesdays and Thursdays I like to put a spin to my wrestling training using Kettlebells with resistance bands.

It really help making real gains in strength, agility and endurance but, most importantly, it would not real boring when working out.

Who else uses resistance bands with Kettlebells?

One other thing: Anyone living in Syracuse like to workout with me, let me know. Let's meet at Armory Square some time.

Attachments

• IMG_20220729_133315~2.jpg
    IMG_20220729_133315~2.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 17
When working out on Sundays, Tuesdays and Thursdays I like to put a spin to my wrestling training using Kettlebells with resistance bands.
Strength Curves

Strength Movements are divided into three groups...

1) Descending Strength Curve

Exercise that are easy at the beginning and hard at the end have a Descending Strength Curve.

Example

a) Bent Over Rows

b) Lat Pulldowns

2) Bell Shaped Strength Curve

Exercise that are easy at the start, hard in the middle and easy at the end of the movement have a Bell Shaped Curve.

Examples

a) Triceps Pushdowns

b) Bicep Curls

3) Ascending Strength Curve

Exercise that are hard in the bottom part of the movement and get easier toward the top have an Ascending Strength Curve.

Examples

a) Squats

b) Pressing Movements

c) Deadlifts

Dr Ariel Gideon's Research

Gideon's research (published in 1973) determined that approximately one-third of and exercise overloads the muscle with approximately two-thirds of it being underloaded. Thus, only around one-third of an exercise optimally work the muscles a movement

Accommodation Resistance

Attaching Band and/or Chain to a Ascending Strength Curve Exercise ensures that the muscles in a movement are optimall worked though a greater range of the movement.

Kettlebell Swings

The Kettlebell Swing is a Descending Strength Curve Movement.

It is also a Power Movement. Research (Dr Bret Contreras) demonstrated that Power Output with a Heavy Kettlebell Swing rivals Olympic Movements.

The Issue With Kettlebells Swing

Many individuals perform Swings with a Kettlebell that is too light.

At some point in a light Swing, lifters allow the Bell to float. No force is being applied; Power is not developed in that part of the Swing when the Bell is allowed to float.

To ensure Power Output is fully developed in a Kettlebell Swing one of the following two options are...

1) Heavy Kettlebell Swings

Perform the Swings with a Kettlebell Weight that is between one-third to close to and individual body weight.

150 Lifter Example

That means a lifter who weighed 150 lb would need to perform a Kettlebell Swing with 50 to near 150 lbs to optimally train and devevelop Power.

2) Banded Kettlebell Swings

The Band Kettlebell Resistance ensure a lifter develops Force Production through a greater Range of the Movement

Take Home Message

If Power Output Development is the objective of the Kettlebell Swing, one of the two approaches above need to be implemented.

It really help making real gains in strength, agility and endurance but, most importantly, it would not real boring when working out.

Who else uses resistance bands with Kettlebells?

One other thing: Anyone living in Syracuse like to workout with me, let me know. Let's meet at Armory Square some time.
Am right up the thruway in Rochester, a bit too far to go for a workout unfortunately.
I have been known to take my isometrics on the road though, been training at Durand Eastman park a bit this Summer.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom