all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Utilizing the Benefits of S & S

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

njrick1

Level 5 Valued Member
Hello all,

I have had tremendous results with Simple and Sinister. I have been on the program for over a year and can get all my reps in with the 40kg just about everyday. I have the 48kg in my sight! After rereading Original Strength, I am convinced that I have the strength power and conditioning of an athlete and should be applying it.

I'm curious if anybody on this forum has any advice as to possible ways I could apply my strength in an athletic endeavor. My thoughts were Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, trail running or mountain biking. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

There is no right choice to be had here, IMHO. Think about a goal you'd like to achieve - it makes training more fun.

-S-

njrick1

If you have achieved all the standards for S&S with a 40 kg in just over a year I'd suggest you'd do well in almost any sport you wanted to try.

Many countries have sporting organizations where they will asses your limb length and determine some specific sports that will suit your body type.
The Russians were doing this as far back as the sixties and they pigeonholed athletes to sports that fitted their body mechanics way back then and achieved some really good results from that type of physical mapping.

Lately the Chinese seem to have picked up the ball in this regard and run with it and they are getting some good results.

Maybe you could compare yourself to successful athletes in different fields and try to see what fits your body type, compare femur length, height and other physical features and then determine if the sport is a power or an endurance sport. If you are good match for the limb lengths and the sport fits your particular dominant attribute - be it power or endurance then you will most likely excel at that sport.

Sometimes it's not about what you like, but what you are cut out for.

I believe you are correct, as to what you should do, that depends. I can say for me, as an avid archer, the core strength I have achieved through this system has improved my shooting tremendously. Have fun...

njrick1

If you have achieved all the standards for S&S with a 40 kg in just over a year I'd suggest you'd do well in almost any sport you wanted to try.

Many countries have sporting organizations where they will asses your limb length and determine some specific sports that will suit your body type.
The Russians were doing this as far back as the sixties and they pigeonholed athletes to sports that fitted their body mechanics way back then and achieved some really good results from that type of physical mapping.

Lately the Chinese seem to have picked up the ball in this regard and run with it and they are getting some good results.

Maybe you could compare yourself to successful athletes in different fields and try to see what fits your body type, compare femur length, height and other physical features and then determine if the sport is a power or an endurance sport. If you are good match for the limb lengths and the sport fits your particular dominant attribute - be it power or endurance then you will most likely excel at that sport.

Sometimes it's not about what you like, but what you are cut out for.

Wow that's really interesting. Do you have any links to additional information?

Wow that's really interesting. Do you have any links to additional information?

I never really had much information about it myself njrick1 only the results from my tests and a list of sports that would suit me. I was selected to be a gymnast but I had a torn rotator cuff and other shoulder problems so I chose my second recommendation which was a cyclist.

There's an online app that lets you enter your height and weight and it compares you to Olympic athletes and gives you some idea of what could suit you. It's very rudimentary as it doesn't consider limb length ratios, V02 max or box jump tests etc, but if you play around with the height and weight you can get a bit of an idea what sports people around your size are excelling at.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-19050139

njrick1,

As someone who coaches both BJJ and KB's, I can tell you there is definitely a carryover from the physical preparation side, but as you would imagine technique on the mats trumps all. When you first start, you'll probably feel "smoked" after every class, even though you're otherwise in great shape. You'll also look at some of the upper belts, who may not appear as fit/strong/conditioned as you, and they will look like they've barely broken a sweat - this is due to their efficiency on the mats.

It would be like if you took me (a mediocre swimmer at best) and put me in a pool. I'd be smoked after just a couple laps, not because I am out of shape, but I have no efficiency in my technique and I am VERY out of my element.

Once you spend enough time on the BJJ mats to get your bearings and get a little more efficient, then you'll definitely start seeing the benefit of the strength and conditioning you've built.

-Tony

Congratulations Rick!!

You are about two years ahead of me. I like your story.

Check out Obstacle Course Racing.
Spartanrace.com

It's a great way to test yourself in a complete way for strength and endurance.

It's my next step after Simple

I'll be putting a more detailed update on the Simple thread soon, but I've found great carry over to sport. I play cricket, the guys in the US are probably not familar (although it's growing in popularity in NY), it requires the same machanics as baseball. I've completed simple and found the expected results such as stronger non injured body, improved conditioning, solid core etc, but the one thing that has suprised me is the huge improvement in my co-ordination. I'm 39 so no spring chicken and yet I'm diving to catch balls I haven't done since my teens and my grip is so strong now that its a venus fly trap to a cricket ball. I think what ever sport you play you will gain a benefit by doing S&S, but the hand eye improvement was a suprising bonus.

njrick1,

As someone who coaches both BJJ and KB's, I can tell you there is definitely a carryover from the physical preparation side, but as you would imagine technique on the mats trumps all. When you first start, you'll probably feel "smoked" after every class, even though you're otherwise in great shape. You'll also look at some of the upper belts, who may not appear as fit/strong/conditioned as you, and they will look like they've barely broken a sweat - this is due to their efficiency on the mats.

It would be like if you took me (a mediocre swimmer at best) and put me in a pool. I'd be smoked after just a couple laps, not because I am out of shape, but I have no efficiency in my technique and I am VERY out of my element.

Once you spend enough time on the BJJ mats to get your bearings and get a little more efficient, then you'll definitely start seeing the benefit of the strength and conditioning you've built.

-Tony

thanks for the advice! I've gone to a couple classes and had a lot of fun. I definitely can't apply my strength to what I'm learning but I am looking forward to being able to roll more often. I really like that it's a sport in which you can compete everyday

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom