all posts post new thread

Nutrition V02 max testing different methods?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Do you use a heart rate monitor and the Garmin to measure the Vo2 max now? Curious to know how that estimate matches a real test.

There are numerous studies out there that have compared true metabolic cart V02 test results to estimates via Garmin/Polar etc.

The general consensus seems to be the estimates are close enough to be valid, usually within 10%. The estimates tend to lean towards overestimating rather than under in most cases.

What @Wes P said. My Suunto Ambit will give me a VO2max estimate on my runs. You can also get an estimate with the Cooper 12 minute run test. Distance covered in meters - 504.9 divided by 44.73. A long list of factors can affect your score. I have not done a test in a clinical setting to compare. I believe my Suunto number is a bit high and the cooper score closer to what I would see indoors with proper test.

Some factors: Temp,humidity, elevation,surface,equipment,caffeine,medication,effort,sleep,mental state,time,previous exercise,warm up,etc.

Last edited:
For sure it works only on flat track and street.
On trail with up and downs my garmin gives me lower results.

I also suspect it works only if you set the zones correctly but I'm not sure which algorithm it uses.
So for me it works only as a relative evaluation of my performances.
Same thing with race time prediction.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom