Other Vacation from S&S

Discussion in 'Simple and Sinister FAQ Questions' started by Brad May, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Brad May

Brad May Still New to StrongFirst Forum

I thought I would share my latest vacation experience.
    I’m 15 months in to S&S and have almost reached standard but was faced with the annual 2 week break to Greece.
    Having read a couple of forum posts I decided to pack a 20kg bell with a 2.5kg plate and take it with me. BA charged me £60 for this which seemed reasonable.
    I then used a combination of Dan Johns 10kg swing routine coupled with a standard S&S 100 swing 10 get ups just focusing on form.
    Two weeks later and I’m back and whilst I definitely felt the bigger bells felt heavy i have quickly reverted to form and in fact managed 3 x get ups with a 36 yesterday.
    So if anyone is mid S&S and concerned about losing traction I’d say follow the advice of others on here and use the time as a break- you certainly don’t need to pack a 32kg bell with you.

Neil, ShawnM, Craig1971 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Neil

Neil First Timer

Thanks for that. I’m at a similar stage to you in progression and I’m going away for 7 days. I was debating taking a 16 and just having an unloading week but really concentrate on form and technique, so you’ve helped me make my mind up, cheers.

Brad May likes this.
  3. Pavel Macek

Pavel Macek More than 2500 posts Master Certified Instructor

The general law is: the longer you do something, the slower you "detrain".

After 15 months of S&S I would not worry at all with 2 weeks holiday, and I would just enjoy it.

After you come back, have 3-5 intro sessions with lighter weights, and them right to your old weights.

Brad May, Jan, cmerrow and 1 other person like this.