all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Van Life and Training

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

mprevost

Level 7 Valued Member
I have been living in the camper van for 3 weeks with my wife. We are in coastal Southern California now. I will be camping for another month or so, then in August, we'll head out for an undetermined amount of time for unknown destinations. I had to come up with a simple training plan that was sustainable and relied on little to no equipment. All I brought along was my set of rings. Here is what I have been doing:

Day 1: Strength: Push, pull, squat, hip hinge, core. Done in a rotation, as "rounds" for about 5 rounds. Simple. Lately this has focused on dips, pullups, single leg squats, and some dynamic core work.

Day 2: Yoga: focus mainly on stretching what needs to be stretched. I need lots of work here.

Day 3: Run: Easy run of about 6 miles or so. I have always been a runner. These runs are as easy as I can make them.
Repeat......

I also do lots of walking every day, some biking and some extra stretching on strength and run days. I am doing something every day. I really like this simple layout for long term. It is not a "performance" plan but a simple "training for life" plan, what Dan John would call a "park bench" plan. It is sustainable long term, and low risk (DFYU !!) Now that I am 50, I find that my feet need a few days in between runs and the extra stretching is as valuable as the strength work.

Goal: Stay healthy, enjoy the workouts, continue to move well.

P.S. Van live is great!

Love the vanlife!

I did the Eight Brocades qigong and the DMPM. And the MTB.

Gotta build another one and get back on the road.

Sounds fascinating @mprevost . I am curious to know about your diet camping or not.

Camping diet:
Breakfast: Eggs, meusli and banana, coffee (pretty standard)
Lunch: Some type of meat/fish/chicken, vegetables, maybe some beans, plus fruit
Dinner: Try to get lots of veggies, plus protein (generally meat/fish/chicken).

This is the day to day diet. Every 2 days or so I eat out somewhere. It could be anything (but no sugar).

Home diet is similar but with more variety. Mainstay of my diet is meat/fish/eggs/chicken plus vegetables and fruit, along with a little beans and some rice, plus big salads almost daily.

Camping diet:
Breakfast: Eggs, meusli and banana, coffee (pretty standard)
Lunch: Some type of meat/fish/chicken, vegetables, maybe some beans, plus fruit
Dinner: Try to get lots of veggies, plus protein (generally meat/fish/chicken).

This is the day to day diet. Every 2 days or so I eat out somewhere. It could be anything (but no sugar).

Home diet is similar but with more variety. Mainstay of my diet is meat/fish/eggs/chicken plus vegetables and fruit, along with a little beans and some rice, plus big salads almost daily.
Good, simple, real food... ideal!

Hey Mike, VERY timely post as I'm about to hit the road myself soon if this current contract works out.

I will be following your training & diet with interest. I'll probably take a bell or two myself as I have plenty of room.

If you have some time, I'd love to see some pics of the van.

Hey Mike, VERY timely post as I'm about to hit the road myself soon if this current contract works out.

I will be following your training & diet with interest. I'll probably take a bell or two myself as I have plenty of room.

If you have some time, I'd love to see some pics of the van.

Here is the van I got. It is about the cheapest new camper van you can get right now. I really like the setup and the build quality is very good. Been comfortable for a month or so now. No regrets. They are located just North of Seattle.

Caravan Outfitter | Ultimate Camper Van by Campbell Auto Group Edmonds WA

Good, simple, real food... ideal!

Yes, simple is the key when you live in a van. Tonight I'll cook some steak, cut it into cubes, then cube an avocado, tomato, 1/2 cucumber, add some pinto beans, then mix it all together and season with chili powder and a bit of Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning (makes everything taste better). I do this one frequently.

Two interesting side effects from the van life:
1. I never sit for more than an hour. Ever. I am moving around constantly, which is very good. Seems to better match our natural physiology. I figure that I am walking at least 1,000 steps per day just going to the bathroom.
2. I always spontaneously lose weight when I am camping and this time is no exception. I am not deprived, but I still lost 4 pounds in the first week! Too fast really. Not sure what my weight is now since I don't have a scale at this campground (previously used the one at the gym on base). I think this has to do with the fact that I only have fruits, veggies, and nuts to snack on and I am mostly not snacking at all. Just 3 meals per day, but little hunger.

V05IOYeN2Dk3cEPo4G-ze-eouvmGvc6EGY55fCKVVoCu0sdpNYACI1E63s8qCtO8XxqpAqqf1fzUxlWry2IdpJPnlcuGOq31vPtEDcI2mtII6q1mSnEJCOEWjsCCjhv91O6zOQOMSgnp4Mt94HYpKOVZJ8PGrr6J7Hyz_Jbm16m2wI2yAcuka5AtpEqGFfz5j30V_i9BTo5rQGwD7l438eJPMlFhqbel45zK2LEWRe6H7o-xGgOqplVfqHEcRrqw8Dpvgd-ISRNiZqisQJCAP3__rIe9or165xGRd1It7NI6hupkFM1tcKrU2DKaB0JjzbM9tbMBkTpaqfJ-nS_KrUlvfSov1TUylIMb4mFQ7F7pXXeRRxjkPnAtsG4QUCOfOYykTJT9F8hUCibEtGNlTTr0eIgfhdEt-Glc3O6tvkoHKiy5SEmPpX5p05sXzXk-un3JvEnWg64y25sJ-HBmEUL6LcuyteItq8z6hCZtrEPUVwJI1-iyjbglKv1nw9miGbNFV5IKfqhmZjFnRB1qVKMk_0gEBD_EvXUQxjMZoKyLzP95Jb__ODfbL22pVEY2z3OL9QVpmM1d5VsGTPrwEX-4K6hKxlRn_v6zKvEPk2hyD3ThOh4wMy38cvWKCZOOHRB46gpIUCTALOf6ZxLI03dKMQAS1l4q6Q=w540-h720-no

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom