all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Vasil Lomachenko

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
One of the finest boxers on the planet and someone who is known for pioneering alternative training methods. Nice to see him using kettlebells.

Nice find, thanks for posting it.

Makes me wonder though with such single minded focus on becoming the best pound for pound boxer you would think Loma and especially his team would research the best methods for everything and so have found Pavel and StrongFirst and sought out private tuition from Pavel himself or senior StrongFirst elite coaches on how best to utilise the kettlebell and other modalities for his strength & conditioning. Imagine what would happen if he did so and adopted the methods utilising the planstrong and principles and anti glycolic conditioning so maximising his performance and minimising the fatigue so allowing him to truly give full energy to the boxing training whilst slowly building the engine steadily in the background!....?

Makes me wonder though with such single minded focus on becoming the best pound for pound boxer you would think Loma and especially his team would research the best methods for everything and so have found Pavel and StrongFirst and sought out private tuition from Pavel himself or senior StrongFirst elite coaches on how best to utilise the kettlebell and other modalities for his strength & conditioning. Imagine what would happen if he did so and adopted the methods utilising the planstrong and principles and anti glycolic conditioning so maximising his performance and minimising the fatigue so allowing him to truly give full energy to the boxing training whilst slowly building the engine steadily in the background!....?
This is indeed an interesting thought but it's worth remembering that the best in the world rarely play by the rules regular folks do.

Herschel Walker's and Mike Tyson's routines are pretty good examples of this. Look at what they achieved with quite frankly poor s&c programming.

They just don't need all the faff most do, everything plus a lot of effort works!

Hello,

As far as training is concerned, he has found a methodology that works for him.

Floyd Mayweather Jr is (was ?) also very good, and has a different way to train.

Is there a methodology better than another ? Is SF better ? This is IMO a balance between what works for us and what we have to do

Kind regards,

Pet'

You bet! ?
I also believe there is a video of him swinging a kettlebell. It’s more or less a miracle that he held up as long as he did!
I have heard his mma training was equally as intense. Those two factors most likely led to his career being shortened by so many injuries. Too bad since he was an absolute machine in the cage. I have wondered what it wouldve been like if he had a top strength and conditioning coach.

I have heard his mma training was equally as intense. Those two factors most likely led to his career being shortened by so many injuries. Too bad since he was an absolute machine in the cage. I have wondered what it wouldve been like if he had a top strength and conditioning coach.

Yes, he was very agile and had amazing cardio/conditioning for being in the hw division.

You'd be surprised how many people don't know who Pavel or StrongFirst is. To us Pavel and Dan John are big deals and household names but many others don't even know who they are.

This is indeed an interesting thought but it's worth remembering that the best in the world rarely play by the rules regular folks do.

Herschel Walker's and Mike Tyson's routines are pretty good examples of this. Look at what they achieved with quite frankly poor s&c programming.

They just don't need all the faff most do, everything plus a lot of effort works!

Hey Aaron,

True enough some with elite genetics can still be great with inferior training but same time with SF methods they would have been even better!

Last edited:
Hello,

As far as training is concerned, he has found a methodology that works for him.

Floyd Mayweather Jr is (was ?) also very good, and has a different way to train.

Is there a methodology better than another ? Is SF better ? This is IMO a balance between what works for us and what we have to do

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hey Pet,

Definitely truth to what you say of individual differences but same time IMO the body runs on the same fundamental principles of biomechanics, A&P, Psychology and so there must be ‘better and worse’ approaches but yet some can still excel with less than optimal methods due to superior genetics (Mike Tyson) or other factors like skill level (Mayweather). The Q&D theories from Pavel’s book and the same in Easy strength spring to mind...

Hey Aaron,

True enough some with elite genetics can still be great with inferior training but same time with SF methods they would have been even better!
Very much this...elite athletes are genetic freaks.

Now if you were to add on to this an truly efficient training program that was designed with that genetic freakness in mind...that would be really scary.

Very much this...elite athletes are genetic freaks.

Now if you were to add on to this an truly efficient training program that was designed with that genetic freakness in mind...that would be really scary.

Patterner

Yes! Like Lomachenko with his team being trained and advised by Pavel - watch out!!! ?

Patterner

Yes! Like Lomachenko with his team being trained and advised by Pavel - watch out!!! ?
Haha, yeah...but most S&C guys for the elites are too worried about injury prevention (not an invalid concern, but it's amazing how getting lots stronger helps prevent injuries) and so end up doing stuff that isn't super efficient, since for these freaks, just about anything will make them better, even if it's not most efficient way to go about it.

We only know a small part of their training, also we don't know what is the mindset of his/her coach or in other words, what the approach of the coach.

It's hard to say Pavel/Strongfirst team/me would be a better coach for athlete X; like it's hard to say X's success is from his S&C protocol.

Hello,

Haha, yeah...but most S&C guys for the elites are too worried about injury prevention (not an invalid concern, but it's amazing how getting lots stronger helps prevent injuries)
For example, Dan John is not a big proponent of heavy get ups. Heavy by his standard regarding this move is about 24kg.

I think there is thin line between getting stronger as way to prevent injuries and getting injured in the process of getting stronger. Probably the risk to benefit ratio is something fairly difficult to estimate.

We only know a small part of their training, also we don't know what is the mindset of his/her coach or in other words, what the approach of the coach.
I strongly agree. Maybe there is some kind of tradition as far as the training goes:
- Some trainers may say that lifting weights will build mass and make us slow
- Some other will say that lifting is necessary and that physical preparation is one of the most important thing we can do in training
- Some will say that technique is almost everything
etc...

For example, our boxnig teacher who is at national level is more a proponent of bodyweight training and perfect technique.

It's hard to say Pavel/Strongfirst team/me would be a better coach for athlete X; like it's hard to say X's success is from his S&C protocol
Richard Sylla, a great boxer, multiple world champion who sometimes come in our club to do training course said that Mike Tyson is famous for his 2000 push ups, sit ups and squats a day. However, what people may not know is that when he was 13 or 14 yo, he was already be able to bench 130kg. So his routine may gave him confidence and was a way to keep some kind of routine and discipline.

Alex Ariza, former Manny Pacquiao's S&C coach, said that his "famous ab routine" was almost useless, but he let him doing it for confidence and self discipline.

Kind regards,

Pet'

In my not so expert opinion I do not feel a switch in methods of strength training will make a difference as long as his current is not hurting him. From my little understanding many methods he has used in the past that strongfirst uses. I believe he did contemporary dancing as a child for several years. I feel there would be an extreme amount of fast and loose exercises. He also practiced sambo. Pretty sure that built some strength, explosiveness along with footwork in his throws. He never seemed to specialize in one sport in his youth and if i remember correctly dan john and strongfirst have commented on this. The man has a computer as a brain and digested everything useful for him from his life.. Ps... Fan boy. The man is strong. I saw a clip of him being able to do a handstand on his knuckles and jump up and down.

You'd be surprised how many people don't know who Pavel or StrongFirst is. To us Pavel and Dan John are big deals and household names but many others don't even know who they are.
Absolutely. The best thing anyone here could do would be to make our name better known by letting people know.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom