all posts post new thread

Nutrition Vegan body building

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

PeterLuffman

Level 5 Valued Member
Just wondering if we have any vegans here who are gaining strength and muscle?

Would love to hear what foods you eat and about your experience.

Hello,

I think it is possible to gain strength, but with additional protein intakes (whey, soy...). Without them, we fastly reach plateau.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Potato chips and beer when vegan day. That's usually a Saturday.

But seriously. I'm interest too. I wan't to try vegan diet someday.

Mike Mahler has been vegan for a long time.
Making the Vegan Diet Work - Mahler's Aggressive Strength

I've read up on Jason Ferruggia diet plan as well (though he fell off the wagon a while back). Seemed like he was pounding the supplements though most body-builder types tend to supplement heavily anyway.

Is pretty important you tolerate legumes well.

If you're really trying to power the pounds on, I cannot imagine a vegan diet getting it done. If the goal is a bit more spread out is not a problem. As long as you tolerate legumes.

Disclaimer, I have never managed to go strict Vegan for more than a couple weeks at a whack, ovo/lacto is no problem. I could happily live ovo/lacto if I'd never tasted bacon...

Edit to add: I put on a nice amount of mass using mostly vegetarian protein sources, supplemented with whole milk. Its easier than you might think.

I've tried Vegan and Vegetarian several times and just couldn't stick with it. Most of the issues were with legumes and tofu. My body hated legumes, my taste buds hated tofu. I can easily do eggs and fish with veggies, but yes bacon and steak are a major weakness. Lol.

Hello,

Animal protein contains all the 8 AA (anime acids) which are critical because the body can not produce them. But they are very acids which is not good for blood and kidneys

Plant protein have a deficit in lysine (for those from cereals) and a deficit in methionine (for those from leguminous). That way, it is advised to combine vegetables AND leguminous.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Animal protein contains all the 8 AA (anime acids) which are critical because the body can not produce them. But they are very acids which is not good for blood and kidneys

Plant protein have a deficit in lysine (for those from cereals) and a deficit in methionine (for those from leguminous). That way, it is advised to combine vegetables AND leguminous.

Kind regards,

Pet'
So it's best to combine grains, vegetables and meats? I've always assumed that dairy is necessary too; is this right?

Hello,

So it's best to combine grains, vegetables and meats?
Yes it is.

There are some combinations on the links below:
Food Combining: The Health and Weight Loss \'Secret\' We Swear By
Ayurveda Food Combining | Banyan Botanicals

I tried a lot of diet (IF, paleo, veg, etc...) because I like experiencing on myself. When I "used" veg diet, I lost weight at the beginning, but I mainly lost fat. Thus I was pretty lean. So to some extents, it makes you stronger on some moves because you are lighter (the muscle mass / total mass ratio increases). Eg: pull ups, push ups, etc... are easier.

It allows to reduce meat amount so I guess kidneys appreciate. Even if I enjoy, from time to time, a good steak !

As you say, "a little bit of everything" is ok.

About dairy, I mainly eat goat's cheese or sheep cheese. Some studies say it is better for joints and digestion. However, I still eat a little of cow milk chesse (I am French so... ;) )and everything is fine. I have a good digestion system. I guess some people are more sensitive than others.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hi Peter,

I've been eating almost raw vegan for about two years. Meaning, I get most my calories from fruit and I eat a ton of veggies per day (I personally eat raw and also cooked veggies). I eat very little fat in the form of avocados and a little olive oil.

I have trained with weights on an off due to lack of consistency, and have started S&S 2 months ago and I'm doing great. I won't impress you with my looks or my deadlift, but what I can tell you is that I haven't seen any difference in my performance from when I wasnt vegan. I am a bit leaner now, but I think that's because my eating habits were a bit messy when I wasn't vegan. That's the good thing about raw food: it's difficult to get fat because food takes so much volume you get bored of eating before you consume many calories.

I think that if you eat good food you'll do fine with lifting weights regardless of what type of diet you follow. If you want to go vegan give it a go and start slowly, and stay away from vegetable oils and refined/packed food as much as possible. If it comes inside of plastic, don't eat it.

Good luck!

It definitely not for me. I like to keep my calories in a range to build muscle and strength, but yet I find eating a pain in the a#@. So living on veggies and fruits isn't quite gonna cut it. Much easier to have a steak and a few eggs.

I am finding I naturally gravitate towards the Warrior diet ways, simply because I don't want to eat early on, I just want to get on and work.

Hello,

Coley is a pretty good option for fish: low fat, high proteins. Plus it is quite cheap !

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom