all posts post new thread

Nutrition Vegan body building

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hello,

As a general pattern, I like to eat as organic as I can: quality over quantity. I think it pays off on the long run. Good quality food is my N°1 money expenditure. A "rule" I noticed: the more color I put in the plate, the better I feel.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@Antti, I love coconut oil and, while I don't keep a jar of palm oil in the kitchen like I do coconut oil, I haven't made an attempt to avoid it. We do buy the smaller jars - it's what they sell.

I love my homemade nut butter. It's 6 parts almonds, 1 part peanuts, and 1 part cashews, all dry-roasted and unsalted. I add a little coconut and olive oils to it until it's the right consistency. I've never found ready-made that tastes anything like it.

-S-

@Antti, I love coconut oil and, while I don't keep a jar of palm oil in the kitchen like I do coconut oil, I haven't made an attempt to avoid it. We do buy the smaller jars - it's what they sell.

I love my homemade nut butter. It's 6 parts almonds, 1 part peanuts, and 1 part cashews, all dry-roasted and unsalted. I add a little coconut and olive oils to it until it's the right consistency. I've never found ready-made that tastes anything like it.

-S-

Your homemade nut butter sounds delicious. Love the idea of coconut oil in it. I'll have to give it a try if I ever get a food processor.

Just thinking about this made me go to the cupboard and get a jar of regular peanut butter out.

Gonna give that one a session.
@Steve Freides ......do you soak 'em first? Oven roast, chuck it all in a blender and whizz? Is that about it or any chef trickery involved? Cheers

Btw.....in UK, meridian nut butters come with no added paint stripper. No added shenanigans, just nuts.

We use a Sunbeam Oskar - it's a mini-food processor and we find them used on eBay. Sharp, not serrated, blade.

I put in 1/4 cup peanuts and 1/4 cup cashews (I eyeball it but that's about right) then fill it with almonds (about 2 cups) and turn it on. I let it go until it's stopped doing anything because the nuts are all stuck to the sides, turn it off and add some oil, and turn it back on again until it's blended and the consistency I like, adding oil as needed.

When you're making nut butter, you basically let it run until you're partially deaf. :)

I buy the nuts already dry-roasted - I could roast them at home, too - perhaps when I retire. :) But with a supply of dry-roasted nuts here, making nut butter takes five minutes.

That's it - we store it in old glass peanut butter or other jars.

-S-

Thanks @Steve Freides, sounds like my level of kitchen ability. I'll try it.
I know, surely someone techy will make a noiseless blender soon!! While they're at it, they could do the same with a vacuum cleaner. I prefer squalor and a house full of dog hair to perforated eardrums.

Gonna give that one a session.
@Steve Freides ......do you soak 'em first? Oven roast, chuck it all in a blender and whizz? Is that about it or any chef trickery involved? Cheers

Btw.....in UK, meridian nut butters come with no added paint stripper. No added shenanigans, just nuts.
Meridian is my personal favourite. I recently bought a jar of Whole Earth organic peanut butter (it was on offer), which has 'sustainable palm oil' to bind it and, aside from it not tasting quite as nice, it's a bugger to spread; it just rolls around in a clump on top of the bread/cracker/whatever you're trying to spread it on.

I made my own nut butter once (with almonds, if I remember correctly) but I forgot to roast them. Results were disappointing.

Hello,

@Chrisdavisjr
Related to almonds, you are right to roast them, above all if you want to eat them simply without any further transformation.

I buy them and them put them on a plate. Then, I put them in an oven, at 70 - 80° for at least 30 minutes. It can be more in function of humidity. When they are roasted, I get them out.

It make them far easier to digest.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

If you are interested in home made tofu, here is a receipe:
1L of soy milk (it will give about 150g of tofu)
2 tablespoons of nigari or 10 of vinaigar or 10 of lemon juice

- put the soy milk and make him boil
- put the 2 tablespoons of nigari or 10 of vinaigar or 10 of lemon juice in it.
- stop the heat, then take the curds in a big colander
- wait 15 - 20 minutes (to get rid of the water)
- press the curds to get rid of all the liquid and mould it

Kind regards,

Pet'

Ate vegan for six months at the end of 2015 into the beginning of 2016 and put on 10-15 lbs of muscle in the process to prove a point. Be prepared to eat higher carb - hard to get adequate protein consumption without upping carbs. It was a refreshing change of pace however from the starve-yourself zero-carb dieting most lifters follow. Lots of beans, hummus, broccol, spinach, and occasionally soy - don't rely on soy however. Not good for hormone levels to eat more than once every couple weeks for a male/once a week or so for a female. Better protein replacements - rice protein, hemp (THE BEST), **seitan, and others much improved. Also important to up your nut and seed intake. Brazil nuts in particular are great for upping testosterone levels. Overall nuts are the ideal - high fat/protein, low carb. Great reason to eat PB :) I would advise going vegetarian first however and then transitioning to vegan - milk and greek yogurt can provide a great protein source as you gain a better understanding of how to source protein solely from plant-based foods.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom