all posts post new thread

Nutrition Vegan Eating

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Michael Scott

Level 7 Valued Member
Has anyone, or is anyone, following a vegan diet? I ask because my daughter's boyfriend is vegan, and he is also a cross country runner. I don't fully understand this eating plan, mainly because I grew up a farm kid, where meat, potatoes, veggies were a regular meal. Salads and veggies were appetizers at best, not main courses.

I somewhat get that plants are the food sources, including plant based protein. I know that I can also google recipes and ideas. I am just curious about the "why", or the"how" from a personal point of view, not Google's search results.

I've been vegan for six years. My ex-girlfriend introduced the concept to me and, although she made no attempt to convert me from my previously omnivorous diet, I found her conviction admirable and decided to make the change to vegetarianism and then veganism.

I'd been slightly uncomfortable with the idea of using animals for food and had, in some small ways, decided to 'limit the damage' by omitting meat from certain meals but had always avoided really thinking about the ethical implications of eating meat and, by extension, consuming animal products.

It was only when I was encouraged to really think about it for myself that I made the decision to make a change. I'd been 'challenged' both directly and indirectly by vegetarians and vegans in the past but I've often found (and still do find) that the aggressive polemic of certain animal rights activists doesn't so much challenge other viewpoints as attack them and, when confronted with such an attack, my automatic reaction was to become defensive and then both parties in the discussion just end up getting angry at each other and nobody learns anything.

So for me, it was meeting someone who didn't care whether I was vegan or not, but honestly answered all of my questions about why they were that made me want to follow suit. I feel that ethics are a personal matter and, while I am certainly of the viewpoint that animal life is as important as human life, I do not judge or belittle people who don't share my views as I had held similar views for most of my life and don't think back on myself as a bad person.

So that's the 'why' part. The 'how' is tricky. My diet is far from perfect and I know I could definitely improve the way I eat to meet my health and strength goals but, at the moment, it's good enough and 'good enough' will do for me. Researching nutrition can be incredibly challenging, especially when you throw veganism into the mix, as the scientific studies on both sides of the 'plant-based v. animal-based' debate are riddled with confirmation bias and everyone is convinced that what they do is the single best way to do things and that everything else is nonsense. Annoyingly, the more I research nutrition, the more ignorant I feel about it.

My own approach to eating is essentially very basic:
  • Include a source of protein in every meal: Most grains, legumes and vegetables will yield a greater amount of protein when consumed in conjunction with others that have complimentary amino acid profiles, although they don't need to be eaten at the same time.
  • Eat something green with every meal: Generally good advice for everyone.
  • Try not to overdo it with sugary and salty snacks: See above
  • Eat big portions: Plant-based food is typically less calorie-dense than animal-based food so if you're going without meat, don't be afraid to really fill up your plate.
It's not very scientific and I know my own diet is fairly carbohydrate-heavy (I don't shy away from rice, bread and pasta, although I do stick to wholegrain for the most part), which won't work for some people, but I maintain healthy body composition and sport what I would call an 'athletic physique'.

As far as eating for significant hypertrophy is concerned, I personally know one or two vegans who have built very impressive bodies on plant food so I know it can be done. It's difficult, certainly, but then growing a body-builder's physique is difficult for everyone, otherwise we'd all be doing it.

The bodybuilder's maxim of "If you aren't sick of food yet, you're not eating enough," comes to mind: If you're lifting heavy at a high volume with abbreviated rest periods and consuming sufficient calories, you'll get bigger, meat or no meat. The physical volume of food may increase on a meatless diet, but the principle is the same.

Apologies for the length! I hope this is informative.

@Chrisdavisjr , I'm really far on the opposite side of the fence, but a nice post there.

Now, if we allow a meat lover to answer the two questions:

1) Why: The three most common answers are ethics, environmental damage, and health. Some people see that "meat is murder", etc. Some see that meat production accelerates global warming etc. Some people see that they could live a healthier and longer life without animal products.
2) How: It isn't really that different than an organized regular or omnivorous diet. But you have to add fat and take care of the protein content. The way I've understood it, it's better to really go high with the protein content, as the amino acid profile is more optimal in animal products so the necessary amounts may differ. B12 supplementation is also generally advised.

My personal point of view? I can understand the vegan viewpoint, and agree to disagree. Live and let live, right?.......

I "went Vegan" 31 days ago and have been surprised how easy the transition was/is, at least so far. I thought I wouldn't be able to go more than a few days before craving some bacon and eggs. Only craving I have had is for an acai bowl(very addicting).

About 40 days ago I just ran into the idea of eating Vegan everywhere I turned and then my Dr told me my cholesterol was too high so I thought meh - why not give this a shot. I am enjoying eating this way, dropped five pounds and 1/2" off waist with no effort. So I guess I am going to keep this up for at least another month.

While I am no expert on "diets" I have been reading and watching a lot about the reasons behind a plant based diet being the healthiest. I am not 100% convince of this but there is no doubt that eating tons of fruit and vegetables has to be a good thing.

I've been a raw-vegan for 3 years now. Nowadays I'm not strict, meaning that ~95% of my calories come from vegan sources, but I might eat non-vegan now and then. Most of the calories I eat come from fruit.

One day I went for lunch to a vegetarian friend's house. I found the food so tasty that decided to give it a try. Then I noticed that milk is suposed to be for baby cows, which I'm not, so I turned vegan.

There are many reasons for being vegan, as there are many reasons for eating meat. I don't even know why I'm a vegan nowadays, it probably is because I just don't enjoy much non-vegan foods. The foods I do enjoy, like a gigantic burger with cheddar and bacon once a year, I eat them.

The one thing I can recommend you is to listen to the guy. You might find some valuable and tasty things for your own eating.

My experience with veganism was not positive except from an ethical perspective (my primary motivation). Although paying close attention to nutritional balance I started to feel 'not right' after about three weeks and by four months felt quite weak and unwell. I then added eggs and within a couple of days felt about 50% back to normal. A small amount of dairy got me 100%. So vegetarianism was more of an option for me than veganism. Funnily enough a few months ago I read an article by Steve Justa where he recounted the same journey albeit over a longer time frame. I would never try and talk someone out of veganism, great choice, it seems, for some, but if my experience is a guide maybe not for everybody

Last edited:
I am a vegetarian for almost 26 years now. Tried veganism a few years ago for a few months and would not return to that. To me it has become a trend of 'health' and industry is selling it. A lot of convenient food, addititves, 'functional' food and health claims...if sth is blown up like this it is time to become sceptic about it.
What about soy? Meat mimicing products made of pure gluten?
I have the fullest respect to 'real' vegans but there are many people out there who hide a serious ED behind veganism or eat too much industrial 'food'. Like no lactose, gluten...again, those products are easy to sell although more expensive.
Apart from the fact that you have to have a lot of knowledge about nutrition - well, you could take those fancy vegan supplements!
I do not want to come across harshly and sorry if I do so!
My sister is vegan...love her but it makes some things more complicated.

A lot of convenient food, addititves, 'functional' food and health claims...if sth is blown up like this it is time to become sceptic about it.
Elli this makes a lot of sense to me. IMO, before choosing any particular diet (like omnivore, paleo, veganism, etc), its better to make sure most of our food is of natural, unprocessed sources. If we achieve this and eat veggies (veggies are my only "must" for all diets), we´ll do fine regardless of the specific diet. Just my opinion.

My father in law went vegan for close to 30 years and is still mostly vegetarian (is tough getting well rounded specialty diet in the retirement home).

He went vegan after his heart attack. He realized most medical doctors don't know the first thing about nutrition. He attributed the deaths of several of his peers to malpractice for heart related conditions that he determined were better treated with diet. Retired research engineer, he devoted a lot of time into studying nutrition and different diet strategies.

He did very well on that diet, eliminating daily drugs with exception of some vitamin/mineral supplements. Reroofed his house at 82 years of age. His diet was not far from MacDougal - lots of root veg and starchy carbs. Pretty much zero animal proteins with exception of some ice cream cake on his Bday.

Had absolutely nothing to do with ethical or environmental considerations.

Ok, silly follow up questions. What, to you, is the difference between Vegan & Vegetarian? Why do you prefer the latter over the former?

I am not trying to call you out, honestly. I am just looking for a real world, live-experienced answer. That is all.

I am a vegetarian for almost 26 years now. Tried veganism a few years ago for a few months and would not return to that. To me it has become a trend of 'health' and industry is selling it. A lot of convenient food, addititves, 'functional' food and health claims...if sth is blown up like this it is time to become sceptic about it.
I have the fullest respect to 'real' vegans but there are many people out there who hide a serious ED behind veganism or eat too much industrial 'food'. Like no lactose, gluten...again, those products are easy to sell although more expensive.
Apart from the fact that you have to have a lot of knowledge about nutrition - well, you could take those fancy vegan supplements!
I do not want to come across harshly and sorry if I do so!
My sister is vegan...love her but it makes some things more complicated.

So, what is a typical eating day look like for you then? What is your main protein source as a raw-vegan? Like my response to @elli, I am just looking to see your answer, from someone that lives this lifestyle.

I've been a raw-vegan for 3 years now. Nowadays I'm not strict, meaning that ~95% of my calories come from vegan sources, but I might eat non-vegan now and then. Most of the calories I eat come from fruit.

One day I went for lunch to a vegetarian friend's house. I found the food so tasty that decided to give it a try. Then I noticed that milk is suposed to be for baby cows, which I'm not, so I turned vegan.

There are many reasons for being vegan, as there are many reasons for eating meat. I don't even know why I'm a vegan nowadays, it probably is because I just don't enjoy much non-vegan foods. The foods I do enjoy, like a gigantic burger with cheddar and bacon once a year, I eat them.

The one thing I can recommend you is to listen to the guy. You might find some valuable and tasty things for your own eating.

I should add to this my daughter went vegetarian (ovo/lacto - meaning she will eat eggs occasionally and milk products, but "nothing with a face").

Since I cook most of the dinners this definitely has me eating a lot more vegetarian than I otherwise might, especially as I am becoming increasingly intolerant of dairy - is now a "treat" rather than a staple. I have also gotten handy at separating the meal at the point of adding the meat, making sure it isn't actually needed to balance the meal. Example - tonight I'm making a huge pot of split peas soup and will be adding the ham right after I blender half of the base stock.

Pasta, beans, root veg, peas, many veg sources even in an unrefined form can get your protein where it needs to be as long as you tolerate the source. It only gets easier if you are OK with cheeses, eggs.

Is possible to get a lot of muscle mass on a vegan diet, but if you look at the diets of many Vegan bodybuilders and athletes, they supplement massively - from veg sources, but in ratios you just couldn't get from nature. Of course many omnivorous athletes do the same.

So I have been vegetarian for a year or year and 1/2 for my own ethical reasons, I have killed animals for food so I can do it, I just hate it, so I won’t ask others to do it for me. I did go vegan for a bit as a challenge, here is what I noticed. Mild fat loss, consistent energy (not high but never low) I was generally more hydrated. I also felt less bloated, but in my case I’m lactose sensitive and while cheese doesn’t bother me that much cutting it out was better for me (it is my stress food so it came back quick.) I was eating HEALTHY vegan food ie. veggies, nuts, some fruit and ton of beans. You can be vegan and eat crap, Oreos are vegan and I have met a vegan that snacked all day on em. (Also stayed super lean because they had an insane metabolism and the universe isn’t fair). My thought is if you eat food that comes from the planet (veggies, fruit, meat ect.) and not stuff from factories your doing pretty darn good.
I can’t pretend that I know much about diet or nutrition, and if I wanted to know more a nutritionist would be who I talked to.

@Maine-ah KB, thanks for the response. I more or less understand the concepts of nutrition, but when it comes to vegan/vegetarian, I can read all day, and still not fully understand why someone would be drawn to this eating style. No disrespect to those that are, and that do follow this eating style, at all.

So I have been vegetarian for a year or year and 1/2 for my own ethical reasons, I have killed animals for food so I can do it, I just hate it, so I won’t ask others to do it for me. I did go vegan for a bit as a challenge, here is what I noticed. Mild fat loss, consistent energy (not high but never low) I was generally more hidrated. I also felt less bloated, but in my case I’m lactose sensitive and while cheese doesn’t bother me that much cutting it out was better for me (it is my stress food so it came back quick.) I was eating HEALTHY vegan food ie. veggies, nuts, some fruit and ton of beans. You can be vegan and eat crap, Oreos are vegan and I have met a vegan that snacked all day on em. (Also stayed super lean because they had an insane metabolism and the universe isn’t fair). My thought is if you eat food that comes from the planet (veggies, fruit, meat ect.) and not stuff from factories your doing pretty darn good.
I can’t pretend that I know much about diet or nutrition, and if I wanted to know more a nutritionist would be who I talked to.

Ok, silly follow up questions. What, to you, is the difference between Vegan & Vegetarian? Why do you prefer the latter over the former?

I am not trying to call you out, honestly. I am just looking for a real world, live-experienced answer. That is all.
Eggs. They make a big difference in your nutritional profile. Combined with potatoes or grains they give you a good combination of AA. Not to speak of Vit D and A.
I do not eat any meat and fish at all and dairy and cheese not on a daily basis.
So basically the eggs are the most important point to me.

@Maine-ah KB, thanks for the response. I more or less understand the concepts of nutrition, but when it comes to vegan/vegetarian, I can read all day, and still not fully understand why someone would be drawn to this eating style. No disrespect to those that are, and that do follow this eating style, at all.

I have been vegetarian off and on for a few weeks at a time, a month or so the max before falling off for whatever reason.

To me it is all about the ethical, something I never really considered much prior to taking up meditative practices. Yes, I was concerned with factory farming and living conditions prior to that, but after coming to a slightly deeper (for me) understanding of my consciousness I look at the issue differently.

I regard the unnecessary taking of an animal's life to be theft of something that doesn't belong to me, and which has far, far less value to me than it did to the rightful owner.

In cases where it is a necessity to continue one's existence is a different story. I can kill if needed should it come to that. I am also careful not to preach, as I DO still eat about 1/2 lb of meat a week, more or less. At some stage I'll have accumulated enough Veg lore to cut out meat entirely and not even miss it.

Oreos are vegan

And boy do I wish they weren't! I got hooked on these a while ago; I'd eat a whole packet to myself with a cup of coffee without even noticing. That's about 850 calories right there. It's been a while since I had any but if they ever start making them with coffee-flavoured creme in the middle I'd be ruined.

I'm definitely going to steal that term.

In answer to that question, for me (and probably most vegans) it's about taking the concept of vegetarianism to its logical conclusion*: While eschewing or even reducing meat makes a considerably difference to the environment, animal welfare etc. there is still animal slaughter involved in the production of dairy, eggs, honey and even wool.

Using dairy as an example: In order to produce milk, a dairy cow must be inseminated and bear offspring. These offspring either become dairy cows if female, or, if male, they are either destroyed immediately or become veal. Once the cow herself is no longer able to produce a sufficiently profitable milk yield, she is destroyed.

Similar paradigms can be found in the production of virtually all animal products, hence the idea of veganism. It's certainly a lot easier for most people to make the connection between meat and animal slaughter as it's more direct and should be apparent to anyone who knows what meat is. The link between milk and eggs is less readily apparent.

The vegetarian movement, while largely in accordance with the ethics of veganism, tends to view it as a less 'practicable' option and there is still concern among many than a diet entirely devoid of animal products may lead to nutritional deficiencies and ill health.

I hope this answers your question.

*'Fun' fact: The word 'vegan' is taken from the beginning and the end of the word 'vegetarian', the idea being that it's the beginning and the end of vegetarianism. Other names suggested for the movement were 'allvega', 'neo-vegetarian', 'dairyban', 'vitan', 'benevore', 'sanivores' and 'beaumangeur' (thank you, Wikipedia). Make of that what you will. I don't think they would have lasted very long if they'd gone with the last one.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom