all posts post new thread

Nutrition Vegan Eating

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
And, as always, I appreciate everyone's effort to keep the conversation civil. Please do use the report button or, if you prefer, simply PM me a link to something you think I should be paying closer attention to - and I will!

-S-

For what it's worth, I see this thread as being very informative. Many topics like this are difficult to find reasonable, anecdotal information about. Often times, as with politics, religion, etc, the reasonable majority is drowned out by the loud minority. It seems like this forum does a decent job of pre-selecting for reasonable folks in general, which makes it a nice place to learn about things with which I don't have much first-hand experience.

Obviously, my education is nobody else's responsibility. If ya'll want an actual "for vegans, by vegans" conversation, then my opinion should be disregarded.

It’s like when people see me in my cycling kit and feel the need to inform me of the all crazy things they’ve seen cyclists do. My answer is always to question how many crazy, dangerous things motorists do. People seem to feel justified blaming the minority.

If the discussion is supposed to be about health and training, then what animal rights activists do is an off topic distraction.

If the discussion is supposed to be about health and training, then what animal rights activists do is an off topic distraction.

Agreed, although I would like to include conversation that encompasses more than just "Where do you get your protein?". I'm relying on the discretion of the forum members not to wander into "Vegans say the craziest things" territory.

In order to get back on track, I'd like to ask what our plant eating members eat for breakfast as I seem to have fallen into a rut of soaked oats with chia seeds and a banana. I could use some variety and, quite possibly, a few more calories to break my fast.

Agreed, although I would like to include conversation that encompasses more than just "Where do you get your protein?". I'm relying on the discretion of the forum members not to wander into "Vegans say the craziest things" territory.

In order to get back on track, I'd like to ask what our plant eating members eat for breakfast as I seem to have fallen into a rut of soaked oats with chia seeds and a banana. I could use some variety and, quite possibly, a few more calories to break my fast.

I watched a video for a smoothie that was 1,800 calories made with 6 bananas, 2 cups of blueberries& pineapple and protein powder ‍♂️

Vegan pancakes are pretty easy to do. I make the batter up overnight and leave it in the fridge for less fuss in the morning. I've played about with a few recipes, some with egg substitute, some not.....get some semblance of fluffy pancake and eat with some fruit of your liking and choice. For culinary chemical reasons I can't explain, my experiments have been tastier with the batter left overnight. If I could offer you a recipe I would but I'm still experimenting when my daughter is here and haven't nailed it definitively yet. Reckon some thick cashew nut paste would be a worthwhile addition for better binding ability but yet to put that to the test. My last blender exploded from too many cashew nuts.
As said before I'm not a vegan but like cooking. A powerful blender is good for opening up possibilities and experimenting with vegan home cooking. Making up nut milks for thickeners, cheesecakes and all sorts. I'm going to invest in a better one, having wrecked 3 cheapie ones last year.
So how about a vegan cheesecake for breakfast? Generally, cashew nut 'cheese' (with coconut milk, the ratio I'm not sure but not overly coconut flavoured) - mix in fruit, a banana, blueberry, whatever - on a crushed up 'biscuit' base of pecans and dates. Make a big massive one at the weekend and that's breakfast for the week.
Bear in mind that if following a recipe online have some raisins or extra dates on hand, and or some coconut fat or olive oil or fat of choice, as it is the date moisture level that affects the binding ability. Better a little more moist than crumbly and dry as it will fall apart too easily. Dates can be awkward things to predict from a recipe - you may need a lot more or less than stated depending on the state of your dates. So ad lib a little.
Better than dairy cheesecake!! Because to be fair it isn't a cheesecake at all, just a massive fruit and nut lovely thing.
A good blender is essential.

Funny, my go-to is exactly what you describe except I add raisons, ground linseeds and some chocolate protein power. Delicious!

I'm generally not a breakfast person unless I have a taxing event (obstacle run, etc) the same day, so I prefer to fast till 13-ish.

Earlier in the thread there was talk about all the vegan options available now days. It's evident that more of the general public are becoming more aware of their food choices (for the reasons they have) and that's a good thing overall. However what bothers me is the fake-meats, bacon flavoured gluten-bacon and similar options. If one chooses to eat plants, eat plants! Otherwise you run the risk of poisoning yourself in the long-term.

@Chrisdavisjr , I'm really far on the opposite side of the fence, but a nice post there.

Now, if we allow a meat lover to answer the two questions:

My personal point of view? I can understand the vegan viewpoint, and agree to disagree. Live and let live, right?.......
Definitely

food definately effects ourself, interm of physical health and mental health. I see some great change of my body when i use no animal product for 3 months.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom