all posts post new thread

Nutrition Vegetarian Keto -has anybody tried their luck?

Pasibrzuch

Level 6 Valued Member
hello,
today I'm starting my two-week experiment with vegetarian keto. The reasons for this are:
- enjoying the mental clarity after eating keto breakfasts. I want to explore these benefits further.
- checking how keto affects my GPP
- checking whether vegetarian keto is sustainable in the long term

My current training goals: recovering from an injury, GPP, mental clarity
My current training: correctives, light/medium intensity and strenght training, a+a training, aerobic cardio

The products I want to base on:
primary products:
- eggs (lots of them)
- butter
- cheese
- tofu
- low carb soy products
- tempeh
- tahini
- avocado
- pumpkin and sunflower seeds
- olive oil
- lots of greens and keto friendly vegetables

secondary products:
- greek yoghurt
- cottage cheese
- peanut butter
- cocoa

My question is: is there anybody experienced in vegetarian keto? Do you think it's doable in the long-term? Looking at the product list do you see any potential mineral deficits I can run into?

I haven't tried it, but have contemplated it.
I have compared pea protein to beef amino acid content.

From my biased perspective, it's not a fair fight.

Animal proteins win out in several dimensions, including inflammation and allergenicity.

I've been thinking about trying vegetarian keto. I think what's stopping me is the struggle in getting creative and coming up with suitable recipe ideas.

Would be very interested if you could share a few days of meal planning?

I've been thinking about trying vegetarian keto. I think what's stopping me is the struggle in getting creative and coming up with suitable recipe ideas.

Would be very interested if you could share a few days of meal planning?
I don't do any serious meal planning. I just try to keep it simple. E.g. breakfast: scrambled eggs with butter and a pickle. midday snack: greek yoghurt, tahini and peanut butter. Dinner: low carb pizza (the dough is made from eggs, the topping is cheese, vegan salami, rucola, champignons). My other ideas are thai curry with tofu/tempeh and some keto-approved vegetables. Every meal is accompanied by a shot of powdered kale.
However, it's too limited for me and I think about switching to what I did before, that is the diet Andrew Huberman follows, i.e. staying keto during the day and eating a carb-rich dinner. Of course it will not make you enter ketosis, but being low carb during the day has enough benefits on its own for me (alertness, feeling satiated). Also, yesterday I had problems with falling asleep. I think I need this spike in glucose in the evening.

I don't do any serious meal planning. I just try to keep it simple. E.g. breakfast: scrambled eggs with butter and a pickle. midday snack: greek yoghurt, tahini and peanut butter. Dinner: low carb pizza (the dough is made from eggs, the topping is cheese, vegan salami, rucola, champignons). My other ideas are thai curry with tofu/tempeh and some keto-approved vegetables. Every meal is accompanied by a shot of powdered kale.
However, it's too limited for me and I think about switching to what I did before, that is the diet Andrew Huberman follows, i.e. staying keto during the day and eating a carb-rich dinner. Of course it will not make you enter ketosis, but being low carb during the day has enough benefits on its own for me (alertness, feeling satiated). Also, yesterday I had problems with falling asleep. I think I need this spike in glucose in the evening.

That's very interesting - thank you.

You make it sound easier than I had envisioned.

Of particular interest is the carb rich evening meal - I like that idea.

That's very interesting - thank you.

You make it sound easier than I had envisioned.

Of particular interest is the carb rich evening meal - I like that idea.
Take my approach with a pinch of salt - I am not well-versed in nutrition so I might be missing something and possible my diet would lead to deficiencies. I just tried to eat everything that's possible to eat on vegetarian keto.
Just a moment ago I've ceased my experiment with a huge bowl of starchy vegetables. I think I will wait with trying keto till they develop and market in vitro meat :)

If you are serious about wanting to try Vegetarian Keto, you might look at dietdoctor.com. It is a membership site, but a huge amount of information is in front of the wall. Their mission is to promote and encourage a diet low in processed foods that is highly nutritious and promotes good health. The company develops keto recipes and menus for omnivores, vegetarians, and vegans. They make trying keto easy for anyone. It is a wonderful company and great web site.
(I've been a member for several years, but have nothing to gain by promoting this site.)

You should also clarify if you are going to be on a surplus, on deficit or maintaining,

I'd be ok for deficit, maybe struggling a bit on maintaining under this kind of diet for a long term, but a surplus it may be difficult and /or expensive, considering my needs that are around 3000 kcals / day for maintenance.

Been trying to do it for a long time but low carb + vegetarian (just vegetarian is much easier with rices and tons of carbs for kcals) for me is rather difficult on the long term, I'm almost at the limit with my lipid profile consuming low carb / high Fat diet.

hello everybody, I tried the experiment one more time, this time 7 days. I will copy my observations from my log:

The last day of may vegetarian keto experiment. Some observations:
- I felt great at the beginning of the experiment and lousy for the last three days. So contrary to what I expected. I don't know if I'm knocking myself out of ketosis or it's just the famous keto flu. My urine test shows small ketone presence. I think I would have to give it another week(s) to see whether the promised mental clarity and sharpness comes or not.
- It's possible to maintain the diet, but certainly not convenient. I think being pescatarian is the bare minimum to not bore yourself to death with egg consumption, especially if you're diary-sceptical.
- it eliminated all cravings. 2MAD is way way easier.
A question to those well-versed in keto: what might be the reasons for being almost euphoric the first 3 days and sluggish for the rest of them?
An important footnote: the car consumption was ~50g per day. I know it's quite a lot for the adaptation period, but it's was impossible for me to create a diet with no deficits without upping my veggie consumption.

what might be the reasons for being almost euphoric the first 3 days and sluggish for the rest of them
Whenever I've tried keto in the past I had similar mental side effects, but the brain fog went on for weeks before I finally called it quits. One of the resident keto experts told me it was due to over consumption of protein which can knock you out of ketosis.

Whenever I've tried keto in the past I had similar mental side effects, but the brain fog went on for weeks before I finally called it quits. One of the resident keto experts told me it was due to over consumption of protein which can knock you out of ketosis.
well, certainly not this in my case. I seem to be right in the 1-1.5g per kg of bodyweight, sometimes under. As i mentioned before, it might be the carbs.
I forgot to mention another benefit of my keto week: improving my asthma. If my memory serves me right, I think it's quite well-grounded in buteyko method that you should limit your carb consumption.

Last edited:
hello,
today I'm starting my two-week experiment with vegetarian keto. The reasons for this are:
- enjoying the mental clarity after eating keto breakfasts. I want to explore these benefits further.
- checking how keto affects my GPP
- checking whether vegetarian keto is sustainable in the long term

My current training goals: recovering from an injury, GPP, mental clarity
My current training: correctives, light/medium intensity and strenght training, a+a training, aerobic cardio

The products I want to base on:
primary products:
- eggs (lots of them)
- butter
- cheese
- tofu
- low carb soy products
- tempeh
- tahini
- avocado
- pumpkin and sunflower seeds
- olive oil
- lots of greens and keto friendly vegetables

secondary products:
- greek yoghurt
- cottage cheese
- peanut butter
- cocoa

My question is: is there anybody experienced in vegetarian keto? Do you think it's doable in the long-term? Looking at the product list do you see any potential mineral deficits I can run into?
i will attempt doing a vegan keto diet :) i will try to post pictures of my foods everyday and im aiming at a <25 carbs and try to have it pretty high in kcal. So far i've found some really great foods!

Ill update :)

*also, if i say yoghurt,burger,milk or anything like that, ofc i mean the vegan alternative and im just too lazy to write it out :D

Back
Top Bottom