all posts post new thread

Nutrition Vegetarianism, carbs, and fat loss

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
You need to simply reduce your calories. smaller portions, maybe limit your eating windows? You will most likely feel hungry and find it challenging but that's the sacrifice. If you want to stay off animal products, a good way to cope with hunger is increased fibre intake and proper hydration. Start every day with 2-4 glasses of water, it may help. To keep the weight off you should aim to maintain your weight for 6-12 months as this will set a new body weight baseline, your metabolism will gradually improve with time.

FWIW, the conventional advice that protein and fat promote satiety is not at all true for me. I know I’m not alone in this.

For me, what best promotes satiety with appropriate calories is complex carbohydrates with intact fiber and water. Just as McDougall and Novick teach. In other words, whole plant foods. I can eat a days worth of calories in cheese, and not feel satisfied. Oil does not register at all. Meat is just plain disgusting.

But potatoes can satisfy me at a caloric deficit. And beans truly are the magical fruit, more than adequate protein, tons of slow burning carbs and fiber. Perfect!

YMMV

i haven’t read mcdougall but i’m the same way. I can eat a block of cheese or 12 strips of bacon and be unphased from a satiation standpoint, i haven’t read of many others like that. Meat doesn’t disgust me but i don’t look forward to it like i use to. A good slice of bread with tasty butter and some rice is more appetizing to me these days.

~500 calories deficit a day will get you there with any diet. Quantity and quality. Make sure to have quality whole food, all macronutrients, active lifestyle, strength and cardio work.

This is purely anecdotal, but I have been able to drop weight quite easily when necessary just by starting my meals with 200g of frozen peas warmed in a microwave. That's some 10g of protein, complex carbohydrates, and plenty of fibers.

You need to simply reduce your calories. smaller portions, maybe limit your eating windows? You will most likely feel hungry and find it challenging but that's the sacrifice. If you want to stay off animal products, a good way to cope with hunger is increased fibre intake and proper hydration. Start every day with 2-4 glasses of water, it may help. To keep the weight off you should aim to maintain your weight for 6-12 months as this will set a new body weight baseline, your metabolism will gradually improve with time.

This is very interesting, honestly, I have been trying to go off meat completely and I accept that I keep losing this battle but now I think I know that it happens because I don't my fiber intake , just as you have suggested. So, now I will surely try that and I will completely change my diet.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom