all posts post new thread

Old Forum Vegetarians and kbs.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Butch

Level 1 Valued Member
Any vegetarians here?

If so how is it going doing kettlebells? Feeling good?

What  do you do for protein besides powders ?

I doubt there are many. I'm sure it depends on where you fall on the spectrum. Strict vegan is very different from someone willing to eat eggs and fish. Exactly what limitations have you decided to put in place?

Hi Butch,

vegan for almost 6 years, been using kettle bells for 14. Don't use any protein powders. Just had my yearly physical and everything came back perfect, includiby blood work. I'm 57 years old and workout with the bells and body weight 5-6 days a week.

hi butch,

i am vegetarian (no meat,fish) and 20% vegan ;), since 13 years. no problems here, feeling awesome! even building muscles works without problems, if i eat enough..

Butch, you might also want to read Mike Mahler's stuff as I believe he's a vegetarian and has written about how to get big with KBs and being a vegetarian.

This is one article: http://www.mikemahler.com/online-library/articles/nutrition-programs/making-the-vegan-diet-work.html

Yes, he's double Olympic champion going  for a third.

But I don't think he was  a vegetarian then or now.

Thanks for the answers guys.

I am 65 and been full vegan about 6 years. Never use powders or extracts of any sort, just a minimal multi to cover any potential gaps and Vitamin D and a vegan omega 3 (algae sourced). Never been healthier. Been doing S&S (more or less due to chronic knee damage from poor mechanics and overuse in my youth) and steadily gaining strength and muscle tone and maybe a little size. No days off, train daily and feel fully ready to go every morning and good all day.

Mahler and I think majority of veg and vegan athletes do use protein powder etc but I think it is a misguided approach based on mythology and fad rather than fact. Here is an excellent reference

Fueling the Vegetarian (Vegan) Athlete

I presume the main point with the veggie diet is to have more variety to have a complete amino profile and mineral (like Zinc) . It involves more planning.

Humans are omnivores so they can eat anything depending what's available. One of the main contr-arguments I consider to veggie diet is the fact they say that evolution into homo sapiens would not have been possible on a veggie diet.  They say animal fat (bone marrow, brains, etc) was needed for brain development .

Also meat is more nutritional dense so hominids could have a smaller digestive track and larger brain.

But now that we are developed maybe we don't need as much fat and meat.

Butch, I would make no such assumption.  The overwhelming majority of vegetarians I know eat the way they do for ethical reasons.  One can have a nicely varied diet, thank you, without eliminating some of the variety that expresses itself as meat.

I, for one, have no need to hash out which diet - veggie, or not, or whatever - is better.  Success has been had by just about any dietary means available, and you should seek out the balance that works right for you.   If anyone cares for my personal history, I was a vegetarian from age 30 to age 50.

-S-

Butch.

If i remember correctly Ilya turned vegetarian in 2013. Last year he broke the world record in Clean & Jerk in the 105kg class and became world champion.

So knock your self out with a veggie diet/lifestyle and tell us how it feels in a month or two :)

One of the main contr-arguments I consider to veggie diet is the fact they say that evolution into homo sapiens would not have been possible on a veggie diet.  They say animal fat (bone marrow, brains, etc) was needed for brain development .

Also meat is more nutritional dense so hominids could have a smaller digestive track and larger brain.

But now that we are developed maybe we don’t need as much fat and meat.
This is really speculation based on what "they" say. People say all sorts of things. Here some stuff based on strong research, not at all speculative.
The secrets to a healthy life

Geoffrey,

There may be speculation about whether humans could have evolved without meat, but the fact that in reality we did evolve eating meat is hard fact. Archeological sites of human communities are littered with animal bones, and primitive communities documented in modern times all prized meat and offal as their preferred food source when available. There is also the fact that vegans have a shorter life expectancy than omnivores and are much more likely to have psychiatric disorders. Lastly, saying that Ornish is not speculative misses the point - he twists and manipulates and ignores real evidence more than he speculates.

I love (cooked) plants, and agree that eating lots of them is a good thing. However, plants being healthy does not make animals unhealthy to consume. I will also qualify that I try to only eat whole cuts of animals that are wild caught or at least fed a diet that they evolved to eat. Factory farmed schmeat will not cut it.

We did evolve eating meat for sure. There are no cultures known that did not and only small sub groups ever don't. But what was key in our evolution to larger brains etc is the speculative part.

There is no evidence that very small amounts of animal sourced foods aer harmful. On the order of 5-10% of total calories shows up as fine in all the big demographic studies. But it is also very clear that beyond that, there is a pretty much linear relationship between eating critter the protein in particular vs the fat) and an increasing risk of a great many diseases.

It seems to me obvious that factory produced, chemical and drug saturated animals would be dangerous to eat, at best. But there is so far at least, no evidence that wild caught etc is exempt from that increasing disease risk curve.

The wonderful world of ever shifting nutritional research..it's a topic that is hard to resist, it's almost as charged as religion and politics :)

the only food group I have not seen demonized by one fad diet or the next is fibrous vegetables. Oh wait, the American diet excludes those, my bad

If it weren't for supplements, a purely vegan diet would lead to anemia, either pernicious or iron deficiency, depending on what nutrient you run out of first. Regardless, I think we can all agree whole plant based foods should make up the foundation of our diets. Meat really can be eaten sparingly. One hamburger patty supplies more iron than a weeks worth of multivitamins-body doesn't absorb a lot of supplemented iron very well anyway.

Ha ha yes! I am sure they enjoyed a rather diverse gut flora of the parasite variety. Yikes, it never ceases to amaze me.  Gollum comes to mind

Preis SR, Stampfer MJ, Spiegelman D, Willett WC, Rimm EB. Dietary protein and risk of ischemic heart disease in middle-aged men. Am J Clin Nutr. 2010 Nov;92(5):1265-72.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20461067

http://www.nature.com/ajg/journal/v105/n10/full/ajg2010192a.html

And summary articles w/ lot of footnoted researcy

http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/green-living-red-meat-consider-your-health-and-the-environments-as-well.html

http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/cardiovascular-disease-red-meat-gut-bacteria-and-heart-disease.html

http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/stroke-red-meat-fiber-and-stroke-risk.html

Pretty endless really, search a bit....

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom