all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Venturing into 32kg S&S

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

built! not born

Level 2 Valued Member
Just looking for advice as I’m venturing into 32kg S&S...any advice on food, stretching, rest and etc. Would be very appreciated!

I’m predominantly plant based.

Just looking for advice as I’m venturing into 32kg S&S...any advice on food, stretching, rest and etc. Would be very appreciated!

Welcome @built! not born ! Have you read the new edition of S&S (revised and updated)? It is much more clear on the progression tactics.

Basically: Reducing weekly frequency to 3-4 sessions, replacing 20% of volume with new working weight every 4 weeks (2 sets at a time, 1 per arm), two-hand swings every 2nd or 3rd session with same weights, using rest-pause sets if needed.

I think the general advice is to not undereat and to resist the urge to add stuff to the plan.

I am now almost reaching timeless simple. My experience is that 24 kilo has always been very "easy" and that 32 kilo is something different. In the beginning I trained every day, but as more and more sets were With the 32 kilo, I got more and more tired and felt less and less rested. I also felt some slight pain in my underarms. So I would stand behind the recommendations of at least to consider training less frequently (like 3-4 times).

Althought simple and sinister can at times be boring I have tried my best to stick to the plan. I have however added a bit of reverse flyes, and a bit of crawling 1-2 times per week. I think they are good for my shoulder Health.

I have also become more disciplined about the finger extensor exercise With rubber bands. (recommended in the book)

And finally I have added one walk With a rugsack every week. Building up very gradually. It seems to work for me.

Im just curious about what the Word rest-pause sets mean ? In this article on t-nation it seems to be a way of increasing intensity:

Is this also the way you, Bauer, meant it ?

Welcome @built! not born ! Have you read the new edition of S&S (revised and updated)? It is much more clear on the progression tactics.

Basically: Reducing weekly frequency to 3-4 sessions, replacing 20% of volume with new working weight every 4 weeks (2 sets at a time, 1 per arm), two-hand swings every 2nd or 3rd session with same weights, using rest-pause sets if needed.

I think the general advice is to not undereat and to resist the urge to add stuff to the plan.

But you are supposed to reduce the frequency once you have replaced all the sets with 32kg, not when you are starting to use it.

In general, I also recommend to read the new version of the book. It’s amazing!

Hi, I'm mostly plant based too, and also working with the the 32kg on S&S. I've been trying a few things which seem to help.
  • Eat a banana or other quick carbs ~30 min before the session. I'll give you more energy and make the session feel less draining.
  • Take long rests if need be. Sometimes I set a timer for 3 or 4 minutes to make sure I'm fully rested for each set
  • Try to eat at least 20g of protein per meal. Apparently at 20g there is often enough leucine (i.e 1.5 to 2 grams) to signal to your body that you can build some muscle and that you have the materials available for repair.
  • Add a protien rich snack each day. (Like a shake or a bar)
  • For me personally, I wasn't developing enough power to do one-handed 32kg swings. So, I added volume, 100 swings a day x 6 days a week. I seem to be recovering well, so that worked for me
  • At the end of each session write down 2 things that you did well and one way that you could improve.
    • E.g. I noticed that often try to "rush" the swing and don't "load up" enough with a deep hinge. Noticing little technique tweaks like that every day, helps a lot.

I am now almost reaching timeless simple. My experience is that 24 kilo has always been very "easy" and that 32 kilo is something different. In the beginning I trained every day, but as more and more sets were With the 32 kilo, I got more and more tired and felt less and less rested. I also felt some slight pain in my underarms. So I would stand behind the recommendations of at least to consider training less frequently (like 3-4 times).

Althought simple and sinister can at times be boring I have tried my best to stick to the plan. I have however added a bit of reverse flyes, and a bit of crawling 1-2 times per week. I think they are good for my shoulder Health.

I have also become more disciplined about the finger extensor exercise With rubber bands. (recommended in the book)

And finally I have added one walk With a rugsack every week. Building up very gradually. It seems to work for me.

Im just curious about what the Word rest-pause sets mean ? In this article on t-nation it seems to be a way of increasing intensity:

Is this also the way you, Bauer, meant it ?

I know what you mean, it’s a big jump. If I were to jump from 24 to 32 I think I would have needed to cut down the frequency a bit. And then there is partial sets etc... I eventually decided to get a 28kg bell. I could train 5-6 times a week, keep it simple and I ”achieved” something every two weeks instead of four. I’m currently using 32kg for 2 sets, so also have a bit of work ahead until timeless simple is reached, but 32kg feels way lighter than before now that I first conquered 28kg, so I really feel it was a good choice and has kept me focused and motivated on training consistently. Something to consider at least... It’s all in the new book. ;)

As per S&S 2.0 it is this method, yes, but if is only used for when grip strength is not yet sufficient for sets of 10 in 1H swings. So for example 7+3 reps with 32 kg, because sets of 10 are not yet doable.

I can only speak out of theory here, but I also think that stuff like sleep and stress can influence the rate of recovery between session. I sleep under five hours pr. night and this probably reduce my rate of revocery significantly. So that might also be something to look into for other People too With kids, jobs, other illnesses etc etc.

I have read the book but not sure about when to do big jumps (increasing by 8 kilo) and when to do small jumps (increasing With 4 kilo).
They seem to recommend jumping 8 kilo in general, if Im not mistaken ?

At the end of each session write down 2 things that you did well and one way that you could improve.
  • E.g. I noticed that often try to "rush" the swing and don't "load up" enough with a deep hinge. Noticing little technique tweaks like that every day, helps a lot.

Great suggestion, in addition to your others. Some of the training logs are good for this... Especially @The Nail Less is More

Most people don't realize how important continuous improvement is, especially when you stick with it long enough to move up in weight. Every session is a practice. Every session should be a concentrated effort to improve your technique and power. It really does make a difference, and is essential to progress. Some comments on my Sinister video say that I make it look easy -- It does look like I just pick up the bell and swing it. What you don't see is the >10,000 swings I did with 32kg before that video, plus probably another >10,000 swings with 24kg, 20kg, and 16kg... Every single set, focusing on the task, refining technique and seeking more power and a more effective swing.

Great advice so far.

I would also add to really work on your hand care. Starting a heavier bell is always demanding on grip and at the beginning overgripping will just happen. For me, during the 24-32 journey, handcare was the biggest limiter at some moments, and it wasn’t that I didn’t not do take proper care before that. 5-7 days a week is really demanding on your Hands.

Good luck, your on the right path.

Hi, I'm mostly plant based too, and also working with the the 32kg on S&S. I've been trying a few things which seem to help.
  • Eat a banana or other quick carbs ~30 min before the session. I'll give you more energy and make the session feel less draining.
  • Take long rests if need be. Sometimes I set a timer for 3 or 4 minutes to make sure I'm fully rested for each set
  • Try to eat at least 20g of protein per meal. Apparently at 20g there is often enough leucine (i.e 1.5 to 2 grams) to signal to your body that you can build some muscle and that you have the materials available for repair.
  • Add a protien rich snack each day. (Like a shake or a bar)
  • For me personally, I wasn't developing enough power to do one-handed 32kg swings. So, I added volume, 100 swings a day x 6 days a week. I seem to be recovering well, so that worked for me
  • At the end of each session write down 2 things that you did well and one way that you could improve.
Thanks for info.

I usually train early morning, as I found that kind optimal time, after my morning coffee, will try with some fruit before session with 32kg and it’s a very god point for protein as well...thanks!

Do you do any additional stretching?

I have read the book but not sure about when to do big jumps (increasing by 8 kilo) and when to do small jumps (increasing With 4 kilo).
They seem to recommend jumping 8 kilo in general, if Im not mistaken ?

More important for me than the book's advice on how much heavier the next kettlebell should be is the book's advice on "owning the weight" that I am capable of lifting. The Turkish Get Up is safe for me when I am in tune with the signals regarding what my current capabilities are, and the only time I've come close to seriously hurting myself is when I disregarded those signals.

Thanks for info.

I usually train early morning, as I found that kind optimal time, after my morning coffee, will try with some fruit before session with 32kg and it’s a very god point for protein as well...thanks!

i also train early in the morning. I typically have a half cup of coffe before I get to my warm up. 3 minutes for Original Strength resets and 3 sets of goblet squats in 5 minutes and I am good to go.

I have met timed Simple 3 times and what I did was add a sets of swings with 32 every time I felt comfortable doing so. you have 5 sets per hand, so that’s technically 5 steps of progression. The talk test is your friend!

follow the stretching protocol from S&S and you shouldn’t need anymore.

Thank you all for comments and advise!!!

This morning I did my first 32kg session with 2H swings, and I was extremely surprise, that it did feel heavy it felt just right :)! I guess this is what the WTH effect is, as 6 months ago 24kg was just a mirage :))))!

Defiantly as @strongDad said, will need to work on food intake. And recovery as well!

Will stick to 2H swings for few days just to get use to the weight and after will start slowly phasing to 1H swings.

I've just managed timeless simple for the first time this week.
I aim to train 4-5 days a week. I was doing 2-3 but I felt progress was too slow.
But I also can't manage S&S practice with a 32 5x a week.

Here's what I do:
Every morning OS resets.
I also split my workout up to TGUs in the morning, Swings or Strength Aerobics in the pm a la Geoff Neupert.
I seem to be recovering better this way.
In the afternoon, Swings 3x weekly alternating with light Strength Aerobics (C&P+squat) for only 10 min 2x weekly.

On the days I do swings I do heavier TGUs. On Strength Aerobics days, which are my light days, I do light TGUs multiple reps per side eg: 4x2@20kg.
If time allows I do a short basic Flexible Steel session before or after the afternoon workout.
I plan my workout weights but if I'm feeling off or tired I'll scale down accordingly.

Once a week, normally on Mondays after weekend rest I will do a full S&S practice session.

YMMV!

I have a difficult time with those stretches. I don't know why but that straddle aggravates my knee. I wasn't doing them, but I found myself stiffening up and even hurt my back once while working with the 24kg.

So, I realized one way to hack the system was making the target behavior (stretching the QL) easier to do. So I googled QL stretches and found a standing version. I basically do that standing QL stretch, pigeon pose and brettzel every day, for about 60 seconds each. Which is less than book recommends, but hey it's more than zero stretching. :)

Lots of focus on technique, your current movement inventory and structure will mean your swing will look different from another's and that's perfectly fine..

Dont rush compressing rest periods, the volume and power of your swings will give you the conditioning benefit

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom