Verifiably True Ancient Greek and Roman Exercises

Discussion in 'Other' started by Kozushi, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Antti

Antti More than 2500 posts

Sadly, there are too many situations where you can't have one without the other.

However, what I tried to imply was that strength is more esteemed in the cultures where it is necessary for working ones job. The more a society becomes estranged from physical life, the more strength is dismissed.

Anna C and Kozushi like this.
  2. Kozushi

Kozushi More than 2500 posts

Yes, that's the problem. But what they don't think about is how they have to get strong in order to be healthy even though strength is needed for nothing in their daily lives at all. That's true in my case. I need no strength at all for anything in my career or home life, but I need it for health.

Antti likes this.
  3. pet'

pet' More than 5000 posts

Hello,

I am more or less in the same situation. I have a desk job, etc... Nonetheless, even if it can sounds a bit weird or ridiculous, I appreciate the fact of "being ready" whatever happens. Sometimes, it helps. A simple example: moving furnitures, being physically and mentally prepared to an agression. Both of them occurred to me. Then I became kinda "prepper".

Money is of course an item to consider. I can not speak for other countries but here in France, I can buy almost everything raw and organic, and it does not cost much more than anything else. Of course, I could save a few, but comparing to what I get from quality food, this is a very worthy investment.

I think strength is linked to way of life too. For instance, Indian wrestlers take good care of what they eat and listen to their body: they eat in function of what they need. Even if they eat simple things, in simple plates, top quality food can make all the difference. To a certain extent, we are what we eat.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Kozushi likes this.
  4. Kozushi

I have to say visiting France a couple of years ago that it sure seemed like a paradise on earth - no bugs, mild weather not too hot or cold, lots of land and space, logical, serious people and a fascinating history and culture.

5. pet'

Hello,

@Kozushi
    As you mentioned, culture and / or education may also be an element worth considering. Why are we practicing ? For instance, Spartan used to train for war since they were child because it was their culture, their raison d'être. I grew up while being aware of my environment "just in case". Basically, I anticipate a lot.

Kind regards,

Pet'

6. Kozushi

Strength matters.

7. pet'

Hello,

@Kozushi
    When I practice, I always look for different things, such as: strength, power, endurance / cardio / conditioning, and flexibility /mobility / coordination, while avoiding exhaustion. To reach these goals, I can use different tools: mostly bodyweight and bells.

The more mininalistic I can go with good results, the better.

Kind regards,

Pet'

8. North Coast Miller

North Coast Miller More than 2500 posts

This isn't exactly ancient, but I recalled reading some documented feats of strength during the Middle Ages. This is from Contamine's War in the Middle Ages re one Marshall Boucicaut:

He executed a somersault fully armed except for his bascinet and wearing a mail coat.

Item, he leapt onto a courser without planting his foot in the stirrup, fully armed.

Item, with a strong man mounted on a great horse he leapt from the ground onto his shoulders by taking his sleeve in one hand and without any other hold.

Item, placing one hand on the saddle pommel of a great courser and the other near the ears, seizing the mane he leapt from the ground through his arms and over the horse.

Item, two walls an arms length apart and as high as a tower, he could climb to the top without slipping on the ascent or descent simply using the strength of his arms and legs and without any other assistance.

Item, wearing a coat of mail he ascended the underside of a great ladder placed against a wall to the top without using his feet, simply jumping with both hands from rung to rung and then, taking off his coat, he did this with one hand until he was unable to ascend any higher.

9. Kozushi

The first half of this resembles the "vault" or "pommel horse" training the Julius Caesar had his troops do in large sheds all winter to stay ready for fighting cavalry or to get onto and off of horses easily when under the stresses of battle.

Another thing often forgotten about regarding ancient exercise was the "dancing" which isn't what you think it is - it's in armour and done with the mimicking of fighting moves. It resembled Native American war dances and there is also probably a cultural link to Kung Fu katas and similar.