all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Vestibular system??

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hey @watchnerd.

I get what you're saying here and it really does seem like you're not doing much. I've received tons of TBIs from impacts and explosions and have had to do tons of vestibular therapies. Those head nods help jog the loose ear crystals (dislodged calcium carbonate crystals normally embedded in gel in the utricle) back into place. It's a weird sensation if you need the therapy. If not, it just keeps things aligned. Think moving your phone to make the compass read perfect.

I conduct a bi-monthly therapy session for US Army paratroopers with TBIs. I put them through a lot of breathing, balance, memory and decision making shooting drills (yes, with guns), along with exercises in between shooting drills, to get the blood / oxygen flow going. It adds physical stress and helps me and the therapist better see their issues. My favorites have been the get-up and windmill, along with the single-arm military presses while standing on a half-ball.

The condition treated here is Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV). It's been proven that by strengthening, or better yet conditioning the brain, eyes, and vestibular system, one is much more likely to have less issues or come back quicker from any issues, after a traumatic event.

I hope I helped and didn't just go full nerd on you.

Last edited:
Hey @watchnerd.

I get what you're saying here and it really does seem like you're not doing much. I've received tons of TBIs from impacts and explosions and have had to do tons of vestibular therapies. Those head nods help jog the loose ear crystals (dislodged calcium carbonate crystals normally embedded in gel in the utricle) back into place. It's a weird sensation if you need the therapy. If not, it just keeps things aligned. Think moving your phone to make the compass read perfect.

I conduct a bi-monthly therapy session for US Army paratroopers with TBIs. I put them through a lot of breathing, balance, memory and decision making shooting drills (yes, with guns), along with exercises in between shooting drills, to get the blood / oxygen flow going. It adds physical stress and helps me and the therapist better see their issues. My favorites have been the get-up and windmill, along with the single-arm military presses while standing on a half-ball.

The condition treated here is Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV). It's been proven that by strengthening, or better yet conditioning the brain, eyes, and vestibular system, one is much more likely to have less issues or come back quicker from any issues, after a traumatic event.

You helped me, I’m gonna give it a try. Several TBIs and some vertigo, never tied them together...

Hey @watchnerd.

When we put the basics of OS ("Becoming Bulletproof" at the time) together back in 2010 (we = Tim, my wife (a Duke University trained Doctor of Physical Therapy, Mike McNiff, and me), the neck nods made our collective mouths hang open.

At the time, you didn't dare move the neck into extension - everyone was talking about "neck packing" and how if you moved the neck into extension - which was routinely confused with "hyperextension," it seemed that it was similar to "Crossing the Streams" in Ghostbusters (the original, 1984).

McNiff was a Navy SOF combat vet had some... "issues." As a result, his neck and t-spine ROMs were limited.

Which of course made him the perfect candidate for the neck nods. We tested his neck and t-spine ROM pre neck nods. Very limited, especially moving to the left.

10 or 20 neck nods later, and he had FULL cervical and thoracic ROM on both sides.

That got our attention.

The rest, as they say, is history.

@watchnerd -

You just described "vestibular magic."

Maybe this recent blog post on the topic will help:

I like this picture from the post:
Screen%20Shot%202021-02-07%20at%2011.21.03%20PM.png

When I started your SKS I noticed that my vision would get blurred while rolling. I could not see my surroundings clearly while rolling. Interestingly that has gotten much better over the course of the weeks. Therefore, I should now be able to better process my environment while moving my body and head. That in itself should lead to better movement, stability, better reactions and more safety.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom