all posts post new thread

Old Forum VF on The Swing and Get Up

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

rambodoc@gmail.com

Level 3 Valued Member
http://breakingmuscle.com/kettlebells/interview-valery-fedorenko-founder-world-kettlebell-club

He does have very different views than this community, for sure.

Valery is always interesting.  Questions were poorly chosen; but some good info despite that.  Would love to see more info from him on programming, I feel that's the biggest gap in the English language GS literature, and VF's approach (from what I've seen of it) appeals to me more than that of Rudnev et al.

Rob - different goals = different approaches

He obviously doesn't understand or use the Get-up as it can be used.  You do not need to already be strong to do the get-up...it builds strength just fine.

Two arm swings - yes very uncomfortable with a competition KB but very doable with a PB Elite or RKC style KB

Rob - should say "well said" after that first line of my post

Rob and Brett: I don't think he is talking about endurance training for GS. He is talking about training per se. For regular folk.

There's no way to determine that from the interview that I can see.

These matters are not religious questions for me. I don't particularly like the two-arm swing either.

The interesting thing is that VF's own coach (who has trained many, many international GS champions as well as very accomplished olympic weightlifters and armwrestlers), Filikidi, believes that the getup is a very useful exercise and includes it in his basic GS classes. Given this, I'm sure that Fedorenko has done plenty of getups in his own time... perhaps he is just trying to distance himself from the hardstyle 'chosen exercises' or whatnot.

I actually have some notes of Filikidi's GPP style training, if anyone wants I can post them here. He himself is almost demonically strong, and his gym is awesome. Kettlebells up to 200 pounds, olympic lifting platforms, armwrestling tables....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkT7XtAl6tg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CDPkm9a3FY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw8bdISp7Kc

I attended on of his first AKC certs and trained GS for @ 9 months before I went to the RKC.  Good workouts and strength/endurance  became very high. I hit 68/65 snatching the 24.  Needless to say the old snatch test was simple.

General Strength program

Train 5-6 days/week
Compound exercises, no exhaustion/isolation
Kettlebell exercises, just a few, called by Americans ‘proven power builders’
Jerk, long cycle, seated press, double clean, double swing, squat, good morning, pullup, row, getup, snatch
Do 3-4 sets of 5, except for ballistics (swing/clean/snatch/pushpress/jerk/long cycle)
Rest 2-3 minutes between sets
No more than half an hour total training
Train around 80%, don’t over-fatigue at end of program, this allows daily training without overworking

*long cycle for 10-20 minutes, hand switch every 10-20 reps for general conditioning

*Getups are taught in the general preparation GS classes

*heavy (as much as 200 pounds) girevoy sport style kettlebell swings (double knee bend, waist height)

“We must emphasize that even professional athletes in drams [kettlebells] are not limited to use when training for pure strength but also combine with bars [barbells]. Mainly exercises for the legs, like squats. The main reason is that at high loads exceed 150 to 170 pounds in these exercises is difficult to achieve such resistance only in drams”

Those are the notes I took from filikidi's website, which I don't think is online anymore. The GPP stuff looks very very similar to Pavel's original 'russian kettlebell challenge' I think.

I also have some short notes on both Fedorenko's training for GS as well as some of the other coaches (Rudnev, Merkulin, etc.) if anyone wants....

could you please post notes of fedorenkos and the other coaches notes  or email them to me which ever you like. I would appreciate it.

email is tigheguy8@gmail.com

thank you

"*heavy (as much as 200 pounds) girevoy sport style kettlebell swings (double knee bend, waist height)"

I screwed up this quote, it's supposed to note that the heavy swings, done with one arm, and gi-chinups, are the best grip exercises for grapping and jujitsu.

Scott, I'm sending you an email now.

Journeyman, please send me the GS training notes as well. jginsberg.touro@gmail.com  or post them here, whichever is easier!  Thank you, Jason

I'll just post them here if that's okay with the forum admins?

GS

Methods of Training

Specific:

1. Straight sets.

-Timed sets (5-6 minutes straight, build to 10, drop back and start again with higher RPM)

-Reps (several warmup sets then 1-2 sets of 50-80% max reps)

General:

1. Pyramids. [More for adding volume in an advanced routine.]

-Timed. 1-2-3-4-4-3-2-1 minutes, rest 60s between (jerk)

-Reps. 10/10, 11/11…20/20, rest 30s after first set, +5s rest each set (Snatch or OAJ).

-Reps percentages. 20, 40 (warmup) 60, 70 (workout), 40, 25 (cooldown/technique).

2. Straight sets.

-Reps. 6x50% max, 2.00 rests, or something like Eugene EDT.

-Time. Something like Rudnev EDT, 10x1.00, rest 1.00, set RPM.

Assistance:

--varied according to lifts. Circuits, straight sets, multiple sets are all possible.

Training Day Layouts

1. Daily, both lifts. Fedorenko method, focus on timed sets. Can divide jerk AM, snatch PM.

2. Different frequencies. Snatch/swing daily, Jerk 3x/week. Useful for high volume jerk programs.

3. Both lift 3x/week. Jerk and snatch together, or separate sessions.

4. Both lift 2-3x/week, on different days, especially using short intervals for both lifts.

5. 4x/week. Competition lifts twice, heavy assistance twice.

Progressions

-Generally, move from multiple sets to fewer sets, short sets to long sets. Intensity increases.

-Microcycles—like Ukranian snatch workout or Rachinskiy’s 2-weeks cycles.

-Rachinskiy alternates 2 weeks intense sprints with 2 weeks volume on timed sets.

Ex. Timed sets 8-10 RPM w/ 24, intervals 14-16rpm w/16-20. Latter is 1min work/rest (16rpm), 10min

Total work. Snatch same as jerk. 2nd intervals idea is 2min work/rest, 14rpm

-Ginko: preparatory cycle 3 months, first 6 weeks ½ force ½ endurance, next 6 weeks 2/3 endurance

Competitive cycle 2 months, 1/3 force 2/3 power endurance, then ¼ force, ¾ power endurance; then only endurance, focused on ‘special’ endurance with comp lifts.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom