all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Video editor for a tech challenged person

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Benjamin Renaud

Level 8 Valued Member
Hello, I'm pretty tech retarded and would like to know how or what people use to edit and upload training videos. I usually film with and old iPhone or old digital cam.

I always end up with formats like .mov and even after converting them to .mp4 they are too big to upload to the forums.

Help please!

Thanks

Last edited:
I usually upload my videos to Youtube. You can set the video to 'unlisted' so it doesn't show up in Youtube searches but so that anyone who has the direct link to the video can see it. You won't need to worry about converting the format either. If you have the app on your iPhone you can uload directly from the device, which saves a lot of time.

Also, please don't take this the wrong way, but I'd recommend steering clear of the word 'retarded' in this or any context as, regardless of intention, it's liable to cause offence. I'm sure you didn't mean anything by it, so please don't take this as a rebuke; it's intended purely as friendly advice.

@Chrisdavisjr thanks for the answer, and I understand where you are coming from with the use of the word retarded, but I thought that the definition of the word applied here, considering I have limited skills and understanding of technology. I didn't mean to offend anyone by it. I will be more careful and chose another adjective. I did go and change it in the title but left it in my post so people aren't confused by your message.

I have been using Shotcut for editing and Handbrake for conversion and they haven't steered me wrong. Both are also free (as in free free, not piracy free), so no harm in trying them at least.

My phone video editor is pretty easy to use and I use it for almost all my Instagram and YouTube uploads to trim the beginning and end. Occasionally I'll get a little fancier with a video editor, but I'm still an amateur with those.

You can't upload video to this forum. Can only upload to another site and post a link here.

Instagram actually makes a great reference repository for training videos. That's all I use Instagram for, actually. Uploads are super easy.

@Anna C thanks, I hadn't realised we can't upload to here directly. I'll look at IG for that too, I've used YouTube in the past but not IG. I'll check if I have an editor on my phone for the trimming, because it's actually the only thing I need to do to the videos usually.

Just FYI you can trim on your iPhone right in the photos app.
Thanks for the link, I'll look into that. Like I said I'm pretty lame with smart phones. I've never had one, the one I use is an old one given to my wife to use as an iPod basically. Last time I had a cell phone was some 12 years ago when flips were still very much the standard. I have to get with my time...

Thanks for the link, I'll look into that. Like I said I'm pretty lame with smart phones. I've never had one, the one I use is an old one given to my wife to use as an iPod basically. Last time I had a cell phone was some 12 years ago when flips were still very much the standard. I have to get with my time...
You are going to be surprised at how easy it is now. My first video editing involved multiple VHS tapes and a linear editing machine that was a PITA.

So, you have an iPhone or iPad...InShot would be a great app for you, it is very user-friendly and intuitive - trimming & cutting videos, adding text, correcting color, adding soundtracks, choosing size to save is very easy.

As for uploading to forum, it is easier really to upload it to Instagram or Youtube and then just link to it here.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom