all posts post new thread

Kettlebell [VIDEO] My Clean & Press Technique

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@Erik Hournou, nice work.

An observation - you are using what we call a hang clean. If your kettlebell's size and shape allow you to swing it, then you could do a swing-style clean, which is our "by the book" basic kettlebell clean. There is nothing wrong with the way you're doing it, just wanted to point out the difference.

-S-

An observation - you are using what we call a hang clean. If your kettlebell's size and shape allow you to swing it, then you could do a swing-style clean, which is our "by the book" basic kettlebell clean. There is nothing wrong with the way you're doing it, just wanted to point out the difference.

-S-

+1

Worth trying, as you had a pretty deep hinge with the swings. But it’s understandable that the shape of this bell is more challenging for taming the arc and a smooth rack catch.

Hey everyone, so I've made this short demonstration of one of my rungs in the Rite of Passage ladders, with the optional pullups.

any criticism or opinions welcome!

thanks

Nice work!

Did you make the bell? It seems to fit in the rack and against the forearm pretty well.

-S-
thank you! okay, I see what you mean.

EH, Impressive, made it look like a movie prop.

sigh, well I was wrong it doesn't weigh anywhere near that, it's only 20kg! I didn't have a scale at the time and I estimated the weight with a friend, we both thought it was way heavier for some reason.

+1

Worth trying, as you had a pretty deep hinge with the swings. But it’s understandable that the shape of this bell is more challenging for taming the arc and a smooth rack catch.

thanks, I'll give that a try.

Nice work!

Did you make the bell? It seems to fit in the rack and against the forearm pretty well.

yes I did! thanks, I'm trying to make a video on it but my editing software isn't cooperating at the moment. glad you liked it.

Dead clean version for me.

3x a week, following heavy / light / medium programming, but with different weights/rep/sets schemes, not a ladder.

In addition to pull ups, I combine it with BB front squats, a carry finisher, and 3x core triplet circuit.

But my bells aren't concrete, so not so exotic.

Dead clean version for me.

3x a week, following heavy / light / medium programming, but with different weights/rep/sets schemes, not a ladder.

In addition to pull ups, I combine it with BB front squats, a carry finisher, and 3x core triplet circuit.

But my bells aren't concrete, so not so exotic.

Dead clean is great for high tension.
so you're doing squats instead of swings?
and I take it you vary the carries like Dan John suggests.
sounds like a fun routine.

yes it is! I'm now figuring out how to make them heavier by including metal bits, gotta go scavenging!
Maybe I can help with that Eric, I make maces from different size basketballs using bamboo and concrete.. I want to make a 40lb mace for a friend and will use a full size ball. The mace will come up short on weight so I'm gonna get some 1/2" rebar and cut it into maybe 2-1/2" pieces. It's cheap and you can get rebar weight per linear foot online.

I've made four maces so far using different size balls. The calculated weight came up short for a few different reasons, but with rebar I can really dial it in.. and so can you :cool:?

Dead clean is great for high tension.
so you're doing squats instead of swings?
and I take it you vary the carries like Dan John suggests.
sounds like a fun routine.

Not instead, some days are squats, other days are hinges. I have an A&B routine, which waves through heavy / light / medium days. Each lift has separate heavy, light, medium programming.

Upper and Lower body moves have alternating schemes, so heavy leg day = light upper body day.

A Routine:
hinge: KBSW (light/medium) or CDL&S (heavy)
press: push up progression
pull: horizontal row progression
back bridges

B Routine:
squat: BB FSQ
press: KB C&P (dead clean)
pull: pull up progression
carries

Cooldown (both):
core triplet (3x circuit):
  • palloff progression
  • deadbug or bird dog
  • side plank with glute medius raise
butterfly stretch
90-90 stretch

Heavy =80% 1 RM
Light = 60% 1 RM
Medium = 70% 1 RM

Days of the week:

Sat (Medium Day)
Medium Upper Body
Medium Lower Body

Monday (Heavy Day)
Heavy Lower Body
Light Upper Body

Thursday (Light Day)
Light Lower Body
Heavy Upper Body

Mon, Fri = cardio and skills day (BB snatch practice, BB jerk practice, club work)
Sun, Wed = mobility day, yoga, stretch skills (pancake, front splits)

Last edited:
that's really cool! Sounds like a fun and varied training schedule, in my brief experience with the Rop, the waving is essential and really ties everything together, I don't think I would have been able to press the 25kg so soon if it wasn't for how well programmed it is.

that's really cool! Sounds like a fun and varied training schedule, in my brief experience with the Rop, the waving is essential and really ties everything together, I don't think I would have been able to press the 25kg so soon if it wasn't for how well programmed it is.

Thanks!

It's my summertime maintenance off-season program before I start competition preparation in late Sep / early October.

It's self-designed with input from my coach, so it's for my particular needs, but uses a lot of common programming principles.

The hardest day is actually the Medium day because the volume is highest across the board and it takes the most amount of time (~75 minutes total).

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom