all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Viking Push Press?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Inspired by this article S&C Training for MMA With Simple & Sinister | StrongFirst I have used it as a replacement for TGUs in S&S a couple of times.
The article talks about regular push presses, but I accidentally did VPPs just because they are very rhythmic and you get into a nice flow comparable to swings.
I think they are a nice option to superset with swings. Swings primarily work the posterior chain while VPPs work the anterior chain.
A couple of sets of 10 will make your quads burn.

Yes, an awesome and challenging movement! Make sure you have a tight rack to launch the bells.

We host a kettlebell practice group at lunchtime on Thursdays... maybe I'll get a video today.

Geez...haven't done them in years. If I'm not mistaken, wasn't the VPP an acceptable substitute for the VWC snatch years back??

Quick video demo from today:

3 push press dbl 16kg
3 push press with dip dbl 16kg
3 VPP dbl 16kg

Not very "springy" with it... I probably would have done better with dbl 12kgs today.

@WxHerk (my cameraman) and I were wondering if there's a "Viking Jerk". I tried it with lighter bells, and it seemed to work fine. Now that sounds cool... ;):cool:
Man, I'd have to really groove that rythym for a while before I got it.

Love them. My new go to conditioning movement. I suck at them though.

I agree with taikei....I personally found the rythmic piston like action irritating to maintain. I was always afraid to increase resistance on them for fear of injury.

Just my humble on this.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom