all posts post new thread

Nutrition Vitamin supplements

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Has anyone been taking greens as a supplement?
I've been thinking about trying eat. I eat vegetables and fruits daily, but I am not sure if I eat enough of it (I think not actually)

Always been interested in greens powder but never bought it before. I'd like to hear experiences. I eat a lot of veggies but sometimes it's kind of a pain.

While people are posting their other supplements, I also take:

Unflavored whey isolate powder and plant protein complex powder from NOW foods as well as a good amount of coconut oil and 4 servings of Braggs apple cider vinegar a day.

I do greens powder almost every night. I'm not sure it's doing much beyond making me feel better about myself. I'm not noticing any negatives though.

I eat a lot of spinach. A powerful food that's better than any greens supplement, and a lot cheaper.

Has anyone been on fish oil long term ?

When I say long term I mean more than 15 years or so. Most of the studies I've read show some short term benefits or some abstract beneficial effect to cytokines from cells taken from mice that have been cultured in vitro, but long term human studies are virtually non existent.

Years ago fish oil was regarded by the FDA as something to very wary of and only to be taken in small amounts. Now we have fish farms everywhere the advice has changed.

The fatty acids in processed fish oil are very unstable and prone to oxidisation both before and after ingestion, basically they become rancid because there are no protective anti-oxidants that they'd have if you were to just eat fish. Some say they are much worse than other polyunsaturated fatty acids when it comes to human physiology because they are much more immunosuppressive.

The Great Fish Oil Experiment
When it comes to fish oil, more is not better

Last edited:
Has anyone been on fish oil long term ?

When I say long term I mean more than 15 years or so. Most of the studies I've read show some short term benefits or some abstract beneficial effect to cytokines from cells taken from mice that have been cultured in vitro, but long term human studies are virtually non existent.

Years ago fish oil was regarded by the FDA as something to very wary of and only to be taken in small amounts. Now we have fish farms everywhere the advice has changed.

The fatty acids in processed fish oil are very unstable and prone to oxidisation both before and after ingestion, basically they become rancid because there are no protective anti-oxidants that they'd have if you were to just eat fish. Some say they are much worse than other polyunsaturated fatty acids when it comes to human physiology because they are much more immunosuppressive.

The Great Fish Oil Experiment
When it comes to fish oil, more is not better

As of late, I've stopped taking fish oil and just started eating Salmon most every morning. I've been using fish oil for years and can't say I've noticed any change since stopping. If anything the first day I tried Salmon I noticed my thoughts were very clear while driving to work. Since I have a half hour drive, I've been trying to put the time to good use by becoming bilingual. I noticed that morning that my head wasn't a big bowl of fog as usual. :)

As of late, I've stopped taking fish oil and just started eating Salmon most every morning. I've been using fish oil for years and can't say I've noticed any change since stopping. If anything the first day I tried Salmon I noticed my thoughts were very clear while driving to work. Since I have a half hour drive, I've been trying to put the time to good use by becoming bilingual. I noticed that morning that my head wasn't a big bowl of fog as usual.

I actually believe you! :) I noticed one time years ago that when I eat salmon for dinner, I have very vivid dreams. I've noticed it often enough that I do believe there's something extra going on in the brain from eating it!

I take fish oil caps daily, but they're a cheap brand. I should probably do some more research on getting a quality source. Or just eat more fish... I live on the gulf coast, and can get it fresh. Would love to have a good source of wild salmon, but they don't swim around here.

Interesting observations! I do take daily fish oil too (blue ice fermented code liver oil). I love salmon and i should start eating more. VitalChoice.com carries the best but I would like to know if there are any other good sources.

I've never noticed anything special from eating salmon. It has been a staple at my table for a long time, practically as long as I can remember. I don't really notice a difference from the fish oil capsules either. However, I do believe that the person reading my blood reports does notice the difference.

Vitamin D is something I do notice the difference in myself as well. I don't get the flu as easily and I'm somewhat more energetic and have a better feeling of my general well-being.

Nutrition and supplementation is a tricky subject and rife with misinformation and incomplete information.

For those who think they can get everything from food, I will refer you to these articles:
Modern Industrial Foods and Their Effects on the Human Body
Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition
Nutritional Solutions to Reduce Risks of Negative Health Impacts of Air Pollution

You don't know what you don't know. What I mean is, do you really know what your nutritional status is? Have you had blood work? For example, what are your vitamin D levels? Do you know? And how much do YOU need? Here is a great resource: GrassrootsHealth | Vitamin D Action - GrassrootsHealth | Vitamin D Action. Click on the Vitamin D calculator.

I am happy to help in any way I can. Eating all organic and taking the right supplements for me has helped me recover from this:
achalasia

And I never imagined I could have the result I did in the TSC!

Two funny related videos from one of my favorite light weight strongmen:

I do supplement, but I eat a lot of high quality food. Supplements a just that, not replacements.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom