all posts post new thread

Barbell Vodka and Pickles 2x/Week - Looking for Input

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

FlatbushAve

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi All,

Long time reader, first time poster. I recently came across Pavel's excellent Vodka and Pickles article (Kettlebells and Deadlifts Go Together Like Vodka and Pickles | StrongFirst) and have been enjoying the results - especially since my main goal is deadlifting. Because of work, family, BJJ, life, etc. I can only hit the gym twice per week, but have found the program to be pretty good at adapting to that schedule. My question for the group is: where would you think to add additional exercises? Specifically, overhead press, rows/pull-ups, maybe bench. Here's what I've come up with so far, but haven't tested it long enough to see if the volume is going to impact recovery:

Day 1:
Deadlift - workout 1, as prescribed in the article
BB Front Squats - 5x5, as prescribed in the article
Bench
Chins

Day 2:
Deadlift - workout 2, as prescribed
Swings - as prescribed
Overhead Press
Rows

Thanks in advance!

Hi Flatbush ave
If your not struggling with the recovery keep it up but always have a minimum workout to fall back on for when times get hectic and recovery becomes harder. I’d resort to power to the people the press and deadlift. If you want to add extra I’d gtg on e.g pullups. Always keep you body fresh especially doing bjj

Thanks a lot, Reece. I like the idea of a minimum workout to fall back on. Looking over what I proposed, it definitely reads like too much volume, especially in the later weeks of the program. I had to remind myself that the goal of the next 8-12 weeks is deadlift, not hitting new PRs on bench, press, etc. I'll post my progress after another few weeks in case anyone is interested.

Just finished reading the same article myself.

Do you have access to kettlebells at the gym? I would suggest to add some swings like the article had suggested after your DL.

@FlatbushAve - I ran through Vodka And Pickles the last three months of 2018 and loved it. I think you are on the right path and like how you are using both vertical and horizontal pressing and pushing. If you have access to a TRX they are great for your horizontal pulling and to assist with BJJ you can run towels through the handles for added grip strength and to simulate the Gi. I would keep things just the way you have it set up and if you drop the assistance work to 3 x 5r you could probably get away with the squat and swing both days just alternate between light and heavy for both movements.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom