all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Wall Pistols From Naked Warrior

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Rahul Raje

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi

Though I am eons away from being actually able to even consider doing it at this point, yet am inquisitive about a killer pistol move featured in NW.

Has anyone ever tried or seen someone perform the Wall Squat inspired Pistol Variation with the head and working knee blocked by a wall and the free leg held towards the corner?

Came across it on page 191 in Naked Warrior. Though examples abound on the two legged version, would be keen to see if this insane one legged version has been done elsewhere.

Thanks
Rahul

"Comrades who are very strong: challenge yourselves with wall pistols. Stand by a corner so the knee of your working leg and your head are blocked by the wall yet your airborne leg is free to go straight around the corner"

I just tried it; it felt like a regular pistol.

But I did it in hollow position since the description of the 2 legged version isn't the same as the wall squat in ETK:

"Stand a couple of inches away from a wall facing it, your arms hanging free as if you are about to deadlift. Keep your feet parallel and close to each other. Squat as low as you can, try to work into a full squat. You must stand as close to the wall as possible; your forehead should be almost brushing it. Something cool will happen in your lower back when your hips are almost parallel to the deck; you cannot miss it"

"Comrades who are very strong: challenge yourselves with wall pistols. Stand by a corner so the knee of your working leg and your head are blocked by the wall yet your airborne leg is free to go straight around the corner"

I just tried it; it felt like a regular pistol.

But I did it in hollow position since the description of the 2 legged version isn't the same as the wall squat in ETK:

"Stand a couple of inches away from a wall facing it, your arms hanging free as if you are about to deadlift. Keep your feet parallel and close to each other. Squat as low as you can, try to work into a full squat. You must stand as close to the wall as possible; your forehead should be almost brushing it. Something cool will happen in your lower back when your hips are almost parallel to the deck; you cannot miss it"

Thanks Kiacek.

I think what it enforces is the hollow position that can very easily get missed in the zeal to master the regular pistol squat. Also feel that, being a long legged individual myself, the positioning of the airborne leg around the corner would remind me more to push the hips back further.

Do you have a video of how this would be performed against the wall for a helpful visualization?

Thanks
Rahul

Hi @Rahul Raje

I didn't make a video, but I played with the move a little last night and it's self correcting.
(I used a doorway instead of a corner)

I realized that you could just have someone start farther away from the wall and just slowly move closer as their mobility improved.

One thing that I really liked was that you can line your foot up with the door frame and aim for it with your knee (to prevent valgus collapse).

Lining up the foot on the door frame gives you kinesthetic feedback during the exercise because you can feel where your knee touches on the doorframe (edges or center).

Thanks for pointing out this variant Rahul!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom