all posts post new thread

Barbell Want to do a competition but need grip help for DL

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

jkron93

First Post
Hey guys i've been wanting to do a powerlifting competition for a while and I have my eyes on one here in about 3 months. I've been sitting at around 166-167 pounds so i can stay under the 168 limit. All my lifts are good technically except for the problem i have with my grip for dead lift. I have always used grip straps and with them i can pull 515 consistently. I use a double overhand grip because when i started it just felt more natural than mixed. I can only hold about 345 pounds for 1 rep before my grip gives out. Does anyone know a way i can fast track my grip strength? or is it even possible to fix that problem in 3 months. Thanks !

Do you ever use hook grip? Or alternate/mixed grip? You said double overhand felt more natural than mixed when you started... that doesn't mean you couldn't revisit that and start using it now. Try with warm-up sets for a few sessions and see how it goes.

Learn how to hook grip. It hurts but properly done and practiced even people with weak grip can pull 500+.

@jkron93, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

The solution to your problem sounds pretty simple: stop using straps, work on your grip, and be patient as your grip strength catches up with the rest of you - don't rush it.

And if you haven't tried kettlebell swings for your grip, I highly recommend you do so.

-S-

I agree with everyone above.
- Learn to hook or just use a mix grip for the comp.
- Stop using straps in training.
- Try to include some thick grip work, ie Swing's, Farmer's Carry or Axle Deadlifts w/ a deficit.

+1 more to hook grip.

Once you learn it, and get conditioned to it through the painful early stages and develop calluses, you'll be good for life.

I use it exclusively*.

*except on EZ curls...

Hook grip, definitely. It totally sucks in the early stages but it's an empowering tool that develops the kind of toughness and pain tolerance that champions are made of.

If you could learn the hook grip, it would be perfect.
I can't, so i use mixed grip, and it works fine with me.

Also, you have to train your grip:

1. Weighted dead hangs, many sets of 10-20 seconds, as heavy as you can. Start with your bodyweight only, and add weight progressively.
2. Heavy farmer walks. They will strengthen your grip, and also your core.
3. Deadlift iso hold. Sets of 10-20 seconds, as heavy as you can.
4. Grippers. You should be able to do at least some reps with a 200lb gripper. Start with a 100lb gripper, and add weight progressively.

Speaking of hook grip... See attached and tell me 1) is my hand big enough i.e. is that enough "wrap around" to make it work? and 2) which one better? 2 fingers more comfortable is you can call it that but 3 fingers I guess is a bit deeper into my hand.

I have been hesitant to work on hook grip for fear of longer term thumb damage. I certainly agree, it is not pleasant in early stage!

Thank you

Attachments

• 2 fingers.jpg
    2 fingers.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 3 fingers.jpg
    3 fingers.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 7
Speaking of hook grip... See attached and tell me 1) is my hand big enough i.e. is that enough "wrap around" to make it work? and 2) which one better? 2 fingers more comfortable is you can call it that but 3 fingers I guess is a bit deeper into my hand.

I have been hesitant to work on hook grip for fear of longer term thumb damage. I certainly agree, it is not pleasant in early stage!

Thank you

I had written up a response but then I found an article that said a lot more than I could have:

The Hook Grip: Why & How to Do It Correctly

While this article is aimed at weightlifters, the same advice applies to powerlifting. I might have to practise my hook grip some more as I'm now fairly convinced I've been doing it incorrectly.

Chrisdavisjr, thank you! That is excellent. Seems I've gotten a lot of misinformation via youtube. I have seen many recommendations to just put thumb parallel to bar and mash it. Feels much, much more secure and makes more sense now from that article.

Just found this:

"Is the hook grip more secure than the mixed grip? That one depends. The hook is an extraordinarily secure grip, but using it successfully requires at least average-sized hands and probably above-average thumb and finger mobility. And it’s virtually impossible to strengthen the hook grip using conventional grip exercises. If you’re not able to put your thumbs and first two fingers in the proper position for a strong hook grip, you will likely always struggle using the hook.

"That’s the biggest drawback of using a hook grip. It’s also very painful for some people, and it carries a fairly high risk of skin tears."

using it successfully requires at least average-sized hands

I'm not sure that's the case. There are and have been plenty of successful weightlifters with smaller than average hands lifting on 28mm thick bars. Naim Süleymanoğlu springs to mind: He was 4'11" (151cm) tall and had hands in proportion with his diminutive stature. He was able to clean & jerk 190kg in competition at a bodyweight of under 60kg. That's a feat that sounds virtually impossible in itself but the idea of being able to do that without a solid hook grip borders on the realms of actual impossibility.

It's definitely easier to hook grip with larger hands, but it's not impossible for those of us with 'petite' hands.

The hook grip takes work to get right and I don't think it's easy for anyone to pick up straight away but it's worth sticking with if you want to lift heavy weights. It's not mandatory for powerlifters but for weightlifters it's virtually non-negotiable.

Powerlifters have the luxury of being able to practise the hook grip while still being able to be competitive without having mastered it.

Chrisdavisjr, thank you. Working on it. Small hands+proportionately shortish fingers. Time will tell. Fortunately I don't compete in anything and never will again. I have a ferociously, over competitive streak and have been working for years trying to calm that down. Not competing with myself I think has prevented a lot of injuries and overtraining.

Chrisdavisjr, thank you. Working on it. Small hands+proportionately shortish fingers. Time will tell. Fortunately I don't compete in anything and never will again. I have a ferociously, over competitive streak and have been working for years trying to calm that down. Not competing with myself I think has prevented a lot of injuries and overtraining.

I get you. I’m still working on finding that sweet spot of just the right amount of competitiveness. It’s part of the puzzle for sure.

Thank you

Maybe it's just the picture, but your wrist angle seems to be the opposite of what I would expect....

Are you using a clean grip or a snatch grip in those pics?

Maybe it's just the picture, but your wrist angle seems to be the opposite of what I would expect....

Are you using a clean grip or a snatch grip in those pics?
Neither really, Just trying to grip it more or less approximately to show size of my hand in relation to barbell while juggling phone/camera in other hand and trying to "push the button" to take the photo. What you say had not even occurred to me but looking back at the pics I see what you mean!

Really may arms are just attached to the opposite shoulder of most people

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom