all posts post new thread

Old Forum Warm up or lack of thereof

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

MakeMyDay

First Post
As requested by Pavel, I put this topic on forum

Power to comrades! Soon myself is going to join the happy SFG family :)

Pavel, can you please clarify one thing, since you moved this topic in your last article. I’ve read your books (Power to the People, Simple and Sinister and more) and I’m still not sure about your take on warming up. I understand that.in your opinion it is not a necessity. So one could start a practice without any preparation, right? I’m not concern aout muscles or tendons etc. but from your research or expierience isn’t that difficult for one’s heart?

Thank you!

PTTP explains this pretty clearly, if I remember.

We need whatever warm ups we're used to.

We should try to get used to the least amount of warm ups necessary in order to get the job done.

-S-

I am doing S&S and using the suggested warm-up from the book. But before that and even on days I am in a rush and don't train at all I do something else that could be considered a warm-up but I just think of it as a "lube job" for my connective tissue. It is a fluid motion, ROM drill, not stretching, not strengthening, more exploration with attention and moving all joints in all directions for full ROM. Takes about 10 minutes and really has been a life changer in terms of my 65 year old, multiple injury, minor aches and pains and stiffness. I fine it esp valuable since I much prefer to train first thing in the morning and when I get out of be, well, you know how that can feel. This movement set puts about where I would be several hours later in terms of all that...

We need whatever warm ups we’re used to.
I can Attribute to Steve's message. As an example from my experience:
currently I do some zercher squats 2-3 times a week. My last tested max in this lift was 180kg. When I do my first set the bar has 100k or 120k. That equals 55% or 66%. I do a set of five, and am primed to go heavier. As the percentages suggest, that would be almost 'light' weight. I don't want to start with 90+ %, but know if I had do I could do it, but at the risk of compromised form, which leads to issues I do not want.

Regarding the 'six weeks to strong' article where Pavel made his statement, he makes the point to use 8-12 rep max weights that would be according to Prilepin's Chart at 80%, moderatly heavy weights. That means you should be able to do a minimum of 6-7 rock solid reps. If one wants to start right away is everyone's own decision and you can rationalize about it whether you warm up or not. I think (for me) the more important aspect with the first (warm up) rep is to set the mind perfectly up when approaching the weight, that the outcome is an aesthetically pleasing lift.

So my warm up for the day I am used to do for years is two cups of coffee or a pot of tea to be part of my breakfast. Everyone is a master in the things he got used to.

Practice makes permanent...and all depends...

MMD, there may be some medical reasons for particular people to warm up (up to our doctor).

Otherwise, warm up is individual. One can train himself to go hard with little or no warm-up. Soviets measured various functions (blood glucose, etc.) in athletes from different sports before competition and they found that the body was already priming itself (in a manner appropriate to a given sport).

Starting whatever you are about to do easy is a good call.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom