all posts post new thread

Barbell Warming up PTTP

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Jamesjones

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello could someone explain why there is no need to warm up in power to the people if your going for a heavier set should you warm up ? Could someone explain ?

First off tell me a little about you. How old? How long have you been lifting? Do you feel like you need to warmup?
In training at 70 years old I warm up by usually walking a mile or two at a normal pace and then a very fast pace. That was the only warmup I did at my first meet. At my age I only have so much energy and cannot afford to do extra sets. A week and a half before my first meet I walked from the parking lot to inside the gym. With no other warmup I pulled 418 pounds and walked back to my van and went home. There is no warmups that fits everyone. I watched one young turk, 23, and he was doing about 5-6 sets of 6-8 reps for deadlift in warmup. He missed his first two attempts and finally made his 3rd attempt. If he had missed his 3rd attempt he would not have gotten credit for his squat, bench, and deadlift or disqualified. I think if he hadn't done so much warmup he would have done much better and maybe he would have been successful on all 3 deadlift attempts. Find out what works for you.

What’s different about PTTP is that you can go into a very demanding set first up. Most other programs have lighter sets first or use multiple sets at the same weight so your first lift(s) isn’t the challenging one. My personal preference before lifting above, say, 80% RM is to do a brief warm up but that’s more to check out that everything is okay, identify any niggles or strains, rather than getting warm. It’s an opportunity to check the joints and tendons. So if my first PTTP set was below ~80% RM I wouldn’t be fussed but above I would load something around 70-75% and just perform the exercise for two or three singles. I love PTTP and credit it with changing my outlook on lifting. I am starting a cycle today which is extra exciting for me because I rarely these days lift above 70% RM due to tendon and joint issues. I have programmed some very gentle waves to bring me up to 85% in a few weeks. Fingers crossed!

Here's something I just saw that touches on this a bit and I think is pretty good advice:

My problem with the advice given is that it doesn't allow for the possibility of change.

I believe that most people who are used to doing a lot of warmups can get used to doing fewer of them without adverse consequences but, like any long-standing practice or habit, one has to be motivated to try a change. The upsides are big - you have more time and more energy for other things, be those other lifts or just the rest of your life.

-S-

Hello could someone explain why there is no need to warm up in power to the people if your going for a heavier set should you warm up ? Could someone explain ?
Doing high frequency, low volume and low intensity training demands little warming up after the first few weeks. It becomes practice instead of training.

That being said… Warming up is a very individual thing: some people need it more than others.

I like to spend between five and ten minutes doing gentle Original Strength resets before I even touch a weight. And then, no matter how little I may need it, I still follow a quick warm-up session (which takes me no more than three to five minutes).

I don’t probably need it, but it feels quite good and barely takes time.

Here is Austin Baraki, doing a thorough warm-up in under five minutes: from 0 to 661 pounds.

I don't understand the need for pulling 70 kg (154 lb) for someone that strong as their first warmup. Seems to me completely pointless.

-S-

I tend to see the whole thing as… “ramping weighted mobility” instead of “warming-up”.

I know a couple of very strong lifters who always do empty barbell 5x5 before even start to warm-up for a lift. It seems to work for them.

It seems to work for them.
No doubt it works for them but the open issue remains: could they get used to doing less warming up? (and reap the benefits of putting that time and energy elsewhere.)

Lots of things work but sometimes there are ways that work better. (Same or better results at a lower cost.)

-S-

For me, personally, “warming up” varies based on what I am doing that day. For deadlifts, I really don’t need any preparation until 90%+. For squats, I need at least a couple warmup sets as even 100 pounds is heavy my first set and my quads just get tight. By sets 3-4 I’m moving much better. Presses fall somewhere in between, that I can usually get away with minimal ramp up but I feel better if I do a little. I never bother with cardio type warmups or anything for strength work, but doing ramp up sets seems to be a great way to pattern the movement and get ready for the lifts.

I agree with @Steve Freides that lifting 20% of your max is pretty pointless and I don’t see the point in wasting that time. However, you won’t learn what your body needs to prepare without some trial and error, and even then it changes on a daily basis. I don’t really think of it as a warmup as I don’t aim to get my temperature up for strength practice, but ramping up does help some of my lifts and not others.

Maybe lifting 1 plate doesn't have much to do with the musculature involved, and altering their state.

There could be a psychologically derived preference.
I prefer to do reps based on a timer.
while I can attempt to derive explanations of fuel replenishment and keeping things constant...

Ultimately, I enjoy the aesthetic of training with an interval timer.
I've had problems losing track of where I was with S&S timeless practice. I've had many sessions that were probably 8-12 sets. but I couldn't remember how many. I don't like that.

with a timer, that question is easier to answer, and I like that.
I set how many repeats and the little beeping reminder is something I interact with - finalizing my stance for the next reps.
is that better for my training, does it help?

e.g. for A+A snatches, I like to think that rounding off these intervals helps to overestimate my rest periods to some extent, allowing for a better replenishment of fuel, and that helps with more effective power training in the subsequent set.

But, again, ultimately, I like it better. I'm not sure how accurately I can assess why I like something. I think the perception moves much more quickly than analysis can catch.

so in the video, I see the sequence play out. 1 plate. 2 plates. 3 Plates. 4 plates. 5 plates. Ok, now we're digging in. add the 10. swap for 15.
I think it's a bit pleasing to the eye to see that largely linear sequence play out. and maybe It could be said that it's an interesting cluster set. he moved very promptly to change weights and didn't leave much time for rest between reps. Not that he needed it.

Last edited:
could someone explain why there is no need to warm up in power to the people if your going for a heavier set should you warm up ? Could someone explain ?

Your Warm-Up Is Killing Your Workout... and Gains​

This post provides information on Warm Ups.

The Underlying Message

The objective of a Warm Up is to perpare you for your Top Execise Set.

The minimal amout of Warm Ups needs to be performed.

This ensures that your strength and energy are preserved for you Top Exercise Set; the most productive set.

Last edited:
I don’t really think of it as a warmup as I don’t aim to get my temperature up for strength practice, but ramping up does help some of my lifts and not others.
Circadian Rythum

Your body has a 24 hour clock in which your body temperature flucutuates, a sine curve.

1663419077797.png

Your body temperture only fluctuates a little. However, when it is at the apex, your performance is optimized: physically and mentally.

Determining You Circaridan Rythum

Taking your Body Temperature upon waking and then taking it every two hours is effective way to measure and record it.

However, that isn't really necessary.

Most individual know what parts of the day they feel there best and what parts of the day the would like to take a nap.

The Importance of Body Temperature In Performance and Training

Those Wacky East Germans
Charlie Francis

The East Germans understood the role of additional heat when an extensive review of world record performances revealed how often the record setter was at the early stages of a cold and running a fever when the record was set. (Later into the cold, the adverse effects outweigh the benefits, of course.) This led the East Germans to experiment with de-natured viruses to generate a slight fever immediately prior to a world record attempt!

With that in mind, let's look at some...

Passive Warm Ups Methods

1) Warm Shower

2) Sweat Pants and Shirt

Kutting Weight provides one of the best. Their Sweat Shirts, Pants, Vest, Shorts, etc are neoprene; essentially a Wet Diving Wet Suit.'

3) Coffee/Caffeine

a) Responders

These individual respond to caffeine; an increase in heart rate due to catecholamines include dopamine, epinephrine (adrenaline), and norepinephrine (noradrenaline) which usually trigger an increase in body bempeature.

Resarch shows that caffeine "performance benefits seem to peak around 5-6 mg/kg..."
Source: The Lifter’s Guide to Caffeine • Stronger by Science

Side Note

Individual who train in the morning after waking up, need to wait an hour before having a cup of coffee or caffeine.

That due...

The Dawn Phenomenon

When levels of these hormones increase, your liver is stimulated to release glucose into your bloodstream. This gives your body a boost of energy to prepare you to wake up in the morning. This natural increase in blood sugar occurs in all people.

The hormones stimulate you to wake up but dampen and block the effects that coffee/caffeine provide. if ingested immediately after waking.

However, the hormones produced in the Dawn Phenomenon subside after an hour.

Thus, a greater effect of coffee/caffeine is achieved by waiting an hour after waking.

Half-life of Caffeine

All drugs have what is called a “half-life”.
This is simply the amount of time it takes for half of the drug to be metabolized. This concept is used by doctors and pharmacists to determine appropriate drug dosing for patients. (Here’s a great drug half life calculator that shows the half-life of many common drugs.)

Caffeine is no different and takes a certain amount of time to work through your system and be metabolized by your liver. One study showed that the half-life of caffeine in healthy adults is 5.7 hours (see source). This means if you consume 200 mg of caffeine at mid-day, you would still have 100 mg in you at around 5:45 pm.

Extending The Half Life

The half life of coffee (caffeine) can be extended if some type of fat is added; cream, butter, etc. to your coffee.

Fat slows absorption which extends the half life of caffeine.

Adding sugar, honey, or consuming some type of simple carbohydrate with coffee/caffeine is counterproductive.

Doing so increase Insulin which blocks the body's catecholamines; epinephrine (adrenaline), and norepinephrine (noradrenaline), which ramp you up.

b) Non-Responders

Some individuals don't respond to coffee/caffeine.

Wheather you respond or don't respond to caffeine has to do with your genotype.
Source: Research Spotlight: Another look at genes and caffeine – Who can benefit? • Stronger by Science

Summary

1) Circadian Rythum

Training peformed at the apex of your Circadian Rythum optimizes it.

2) Passively Increasing Your Body Temperature

The above methods allow you to increase your Body Temperature, even bump it minutely above the Apex of your Natural Circadian Rythum.

Last edited:
I just do the S+S warm up for everything now, regardless of the activity I'm about to do. For me, it just works.

I just do the S+S warm up for everything now, regardless of the activity I'm about to do. For me, it just works.
That's my default too, on the rare occasion that I'm clueless about what else to do to get moving.

I'm finding sustained practice of the 90/90 stretch and the QL straddle to be incredibly beneficial. Also demonstrated by @Pavel Macek is the "Bretzel" or a variation thereof. What a tremendous stretch/wring out that is pre or indeed post work out. I love it.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom