all posts post new thread

Nutrition Warrior Diet and big exam?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

coolrunnings

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi all

I have a long, taxing exam coming up in 5 months. Think MCAT level of difficulty with high emphasis on complex reasoning but also a decent amount of conceptual and factual recall. In short, its an 8 hour beast (roughly 9-5). It's the GAMSAT, if anyone is familiar.

I also need to lose some fat over the next few months. I have started S&S along with some light easy cardio, and want to start a diet but am worried about my cognitive performance (and endurance) on this exam if I'm running at a deficit.

Are my fears unfounded? Does anyone have this kind of exam experience on the warrior Diet?

Thanks !

Oh, and I've read studies that show low blood glucose affects mental performance, and a glucose tablet before a test can improve performance.

I think you will be fine. You have a lot of time to prepare. You don't have to starve during the day, just under eat. Try something like apples slices and oatmeal or Greek yogurt. The earlier you begin the more your body will be adjusted. I wish you well.

Thanks all. How about being in a caloric deficit on the WD? Would being in a deficit have an effect?

Anecdotally, have all of you WD adapted people experienced any change in cognitive performance?

@coolrunnings, I don't think any of us would do the WD if it made any important aspect of our lives worse - we do it not just for body composition but because it makes us feel better and function better.

Have you read the book? If not, please do before you start.

-S-

@coolrunnings, ease into the WD. If you feel a little hungry, it's OK, but if you feel very hungry and/or you feel like you're not thinking clearly, have something to eat. Over time, you'll need to eat less during the day.

-S-

The Warrior Diet has helped virtually every aspect of my life. Regarding my studies, it's spot on; cognitive clarity is great. Just be sure to have your overeating phase at the very end of the day when work is done... You likely won't want to pick up a book again after a big meal. That's my experience at least.

Hello,

If you have time to adapt yourself (at least 2 months), you can try. Then you will see if it is right for you or not. If it is, you keep going. If not, get back to your previous diet, with a little running or something.

What you have to be aware of is that it is not a good idea to test a diet before a test or an important period.

From my experience, I feel more alert, both mentally and physically) when WDieting.

Kind regards,

Pet'

More alert and sharp sensations here too with WD. Before when I used to eat heavily in the morning shifts, I totally collapsed. Then I started to under eat during work hours and it helped. Now I'm more energized.

Nothing new from over here. I feel sharper and quicker while I'm fasting/under eating (now that my body adapted to it), but once I eat enough that my body has to work to digest things I slow down. I took the MCAT a couple years ago, when I was about 4 months into experimenting with IF. I brought coffee and some lunch to have on breaks in case I needed it, but I probably could have forgone the lunch for a little bag of almonds or something.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom