all posts post new thread

Nutrition Warrior Diet Newbie

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Well, if the scale says you are 1.9 lbs lighter, then you are, in fact, 1.9 lbs lighter. What you probably really want to know is whether you can lose 1.9 lbs of fat in that amount of time? Probably not... but it matters little. I'd recommend not to focus on the small changes on the scale, just check in once a week or so (or if you do weigh in every day, just record it and average it to a weekly number). The trend is what matters, and you are more likely to have a good trend if you put your focus on other metrics and follow a good plan, both for diet and for training. Climb the mountain one step at a time... just keep moving forward in the right direction, and you'll end up where you want to be.

How about any supplements? Any advice. Also, what are some beginners way to use kettle bell. Thanks y'all!

CT

No supplements needed unless a docs says you're deficient in something (i.e. iron, Vit D...). Just practice and take good care of yourself; eat healthy, get good sleep, work into new exercise slowly to give your body a chance to adapt.

Get a copy of Simple & Sinister Paperback, this program is a great way to get started. You'll be starting with goblet squats and kettlebell deadlifts, learning the get-up unweighted and progressing to with the kettlebell, and moving soon to 2H swings and then 1H swings.

Look for a kettlebell course near you StrongFirst Kettlebell Course

Follow StrongFirst on Facebook, YouTube, and of course, here on the forum

Let us know if we can help.

Thanks again! How many calories is appropriate during under eating phase of WD? Thanks y'all.
CT

Thanks again! How many calories is appropriate during under eating phase of WD? Thanks y'all.
CT

Great to have you with us Chris.

I think you will find that few if any of the WD types count calories.

It's not about "numbers" it's about "what" you eat.

Ori Hofmeklers book is a good read.

Your on a good path !!!

@Chris T, I've rewritten my intended reply a couple of times as I struggle to find the right tone...I don't wish to cause offence nor undermine the advice given to you already or to be disrespectful to you or anyone else, so please take this as only well intentioned....

You have cardiac issues with beta-blockers and hypertension meds. You are on SSRIs, anti-anxiolytics, anti-epilepsy meds and one to treat high cholesterol and high triglyceride levels. Dabbling in fasting and playing with your hormonal signalling....which IF does....could be contra-indicated for you. Your physiology is radically altered from that of a healthy, strong and athletic population.
Are you able to be supervised and/or have a drug review? SSRIs can cause weight gain, for example. Respectfully, you may have done so but perhaps it is less obvious to you, perhaps side effects and contra-indicators have not been explained nor discussed. Does your cardiologist know you are on psychoactive meds? Are you seeing a psychiatrist? Not wishing to invade your privacy, answers are not expected....are your doctors fully aware of your current medications? You are in the US, I'm aware of confidentiality and legal/ethical issues are perhaps different....do doctors talk to each other, as part of a team? How long have you been prescribed SSRIs? Have you tried others? To re-iterate, these are questions for your doctors. Are you aware of weight issues caused by the meds you take? You should start here for seeking longer term solutions.

@Chris T, I only just read your question placed before my general reply above.......my point exactly. There are far too many variables here, you really should discuss all this with your doctors. Can't stress that enough. Just so you know, I was a psychiatric nurse. Fasting could be an issue for you, at this time whilst on the meds you are on....if those 2 symptoms are new since starting WD then really consider seeing your doctors. Meantime just focus on quality nutrient dense foods. Don't change the timings or fast until you know what's going on and potential problems that may occur.
You know, in general, women respond differently to fasting than men. And for women there are other approaches to consider which are more in line to gender hormonal differences, ie greater carb intake before a menstrual cycle. Most IF approaches do not consider hormone fluctuations between genders. When you consider your altered physiology...to be blunt, it is compared to healthy non medicated population....you have a double whammy. And then consider the meds and the possible interactions between each of those meds. You need greater input with all this than can be offered here or anywhere.

Ali,

Thank you for taking the time to ask and offer advice to me. It really warms my heart that you did that. In response, I'll be honest as I can be. My cardiologist DOES know all my psych drugs. Hence, he took me off Seroquel due it causing rhythm problems. He also said that because my ekg is better, now that I take heart meds, I could return taking adderall for ADHD. I would love it for both attention issues and it helped me to lose 40 pounds a few years ago, but my partner and I fear stronger possibilities if I return taking these meds. I have been sober from alcohol and cigarettes for one year in 36 days and that could trigger a relapse. So I am dealing with ADHD as well as I can. Supposedly the lexapro, lamictal and meds don't cause significant weight gain. In 2 months I gained 20 pounds without increasing calories. I document everything I eat. My Doctors do work together and I do see a psychiatrist monthly. I hope this gives more insight thanks again!!

Good, excellent Chris. You're well placed then with solid support. It's very difficult to read between the lines, as I'm sure you'll understand. Thank you too for replying and being so open about your medical situation. As you have regular sessions I'd check with them about your intentions regarding fasting though before continuing. It would do you no harm to read more about it, different approaches, different timings and hear from others who have had results, as you've already had. Good luck on your journey, I wish you well.

Thanks. Is the 1.9 lbs lost since weds really possible? Thanks y'all!!CT

Everyone else is telling you what I would tell you, so I won't bother with training or diet advice. I will point out that we all experience daily weight fluctuation due to water retention, which is totally normal. However, many medications (and I believe CHF by itself) can cause greater-than-normal levels of water based weight fluctuation. My point is, this is one more reason to focus on the process, and just track the numbers with as little self judgement as you can. And in line with what @ali said, take it slow and play the long game. You're off to a good start :)

Thanks y'all!

My cardiologist really just advised me to lose weight healthily. No specifications. My regular doctor, however, suggested low carb and low sugar because my A1C are high and if not lowered, I'll be on insulin....could this be a reason for weight gain? I've been reading. I ordered the book. It'll be here in a few days. I enjoy others success. I still don't know what's best. To do low carb along with WD? That sucks. Lol. Thanks again!
CT

Hello,

@Chris T
I'll be on insulin....could this be a reason for weight gain?
Sadly yes do to the fact that variation in insulin sensitivity make fat management unstable.

Low carbs and high fat diets tend to reduce insulin resistance, above all saturated fat.

How many calories is appropriate during under eating phase of WD?
There is no "perfect" answer here. The better is to avoid to eat. Otherwise, eat at the minimum.
The Undereating Phase of the Warrior Diet - dummies
Eating Guidelines for the Warrior Diet - dummies

First, count the number of calories you need daily. Then WD or not, you can cut off 200 to 250 calories (no more) as a first step. Keep this "rythm" for a while. Then, cut off again and so on. As soon as you feel tired, you add 250. It will mean you reach your right sweet spot in terms of daily calories.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I would also recommend Fat Loss Happens On Monday, by Dan John and Josh Hillis. Lots of good info in there.

One big one to keep in mind is that scale weight can fluctuate several pounds from day to day due to food and water intake/loss. What you should look for is a downward trend over 3 weeks at a minimum. A good way is to only weigh yourself once a week, same day same time. Say Saturday morning before breakfast. Track those numbers. If you are truly eating at a slight caloric deficit then that number should go down over the weeks. Just keep in mind, one week it might go up a bit or stay the same, but in the long run it should be going down. 1-3 pounds per week is a good manageable goal.

Hello,

@Chris T
I will echo James Whitmore assumption. Weigh yourself, as he said, only once a week and make a trend.

IMO, weight can decrease relatively fast. However, what you have to consider is your health. Then, 3 months trend is a good judge:
=> you will see if you lost weight or not
=> you will see if you are tired or something
=> you will let your body the time to fully adapt to a new diet.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Welcome to the forum @Chris T . I am a fellow diabetic. I checked with my PCM before starting IF. I was given the go ahead, but also told to monitor my blood sugar levels. As a diabetic, you have to reduce carb intake, and sugar intake. They are every-freaking-where. As a rice & bread junkie, it sucks big time.

My recommendation to is to not begin intermittent fasting or the warrior diet until you can confer with your doctor, first. This is by far the most important step. Make sure that you are cleared to exercise with a moderate level of effort. These two are paramount to your long term health. Once you are cleared, I would say that you should get, read & re-read Simple & Sinister. Then, get a 12 kilogram kettlebell and begin the journey towards the Simple goal.

Daily exercise with the kettlebell, along with sensible eating, should be enough to start. Then, once your A1C starts to drop due to the level of exercise you have achieved, then look to one of those eating plans.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. Take one at a time, focus on healthier food choices, start Simple & Sinister, and stick with it. Once you have a groove exercising, then look to change your eating habits.

Thanks y'all!

My cardiologist really just advised me to lose weight healthily. No specifications. My regular doctor, however, suggested low carb and low sugar because my A1C are high and if not lowered, I'll be on insulin....could this be a reason for weight gain? I've been reading. I ordered the book. It'll be here in a few days. I enjoy others success. I still don't know what's best. To do low carb along with WD? That sucks. Lol. Thanks again!
CT

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom