all posts post new thread

Nutrition Warrior Diet Questions

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I find it interesting that there are those advocating a "water fast". Me, I drink around a gallon of water daily. That doesn't include the water in my coffee. I have a 32 oz water bottle that gets filled first thing in the morning when I get to work, maybe again at lunch, and one more time in the afternoon, again when I get home, and at least one more time after my kettlebell session.

I guess I am wondering what the benefit is of a "water fast"?
I use the term to mean we drink only water. It does not mean fasting *from* water - I don't think anyone would advocate for that.

All, I am still experimenting on what works best for me, and what if anything to eat during under eating phase. I did buy some Dale bars and I like them. I had also been using fruit do to ease of keeping it around. But not sure of I like the idea of all that fructose on Blood sugar levels during the day and when trying to lose fat. When and if snack I try to keep less then 200 cal. I don't really count, I just have options that fit that. This week I am using Collagen (Great Lakes in Coffee) with coconut oil or MCT. This usually gets me to lunch with no issues. The afternoon, will be Dale Bar or I may switch to Decaf (I Like coffee) and keep up the Collagen and coconut oil. Could always use string cheese. I think the concept of fat vs fructose or even carbs probably is better, just need to keep simple and sustainable. Eventually I want to completely do away with anything in AM.

I don't like string cheese, but I do snack on almonds and walnuts. Fruit only if I'm going to train within an hour or so of eating it. Fruit isn't all fructose, depends on the fruit.

Good point about fruit, nuts are a trigger for me, hard to eat a few.:)
If you are in "fat fuel" mode, the fat content of nuts is not a problem. But if you are trying not to eat too much during the undereating phase, then yeah more than a handful is probably too much.

I have a handful late in the day to break my fast. In WD it only calls for nuts after noon IIRC.

Hello,

Good point about fruit, nuts are a trigger for me, hard to eat a few.:)
Peanut butter can be an interesting option, plus it gives energy for long time. It also creates a great satiety ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Peanut butter can be an interesting option, plus it gives energy for long time. It also creates a great satiety ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'
Good point. Great for protein and satiety. Technically peanuts are legumes like beans and not nuts like almonds. And most peanut butter from the grocery store has added sugar, so watch for that.

The creamy Jif brand in my cupboard has (in 2 tbsp/32g serving) 190 kcal, 16g fat, 8g carb (less 2g fiber, but 3g sugar), 7g protein. Ingredients say "Made from roasted peanuts and sugar" and less than 2% molasses (more sugar) and hydrogenated vegetable oils, which isn't great but isn't a big part of it. But about 3/32g (9%) by weight is sugar...

Hello,

Chickpea, if you make them soak at least 12H in water before cooking them. This cuts off lectines. They are a good source of proteines and have also some carbs. It can be good right after a training tough.

Same logic with quinoa and lentils.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Good point. Great for protein and satiety. Technically peanuts are legumes like beans and not nuts like almonds. And most peanut butter from the grocery store has added sugar, so watch for that.

The creamy Jif brand in my cupboard has (in 2 tbsp/32g serving) 190 kcal, 16g fat, 8g carb (less 2g fiber, but 3g sugar), 7g protein. Ingredients say "Made from roasted peanuts and sugar" and less than 2% molasses (more sugar) and hydrogenated vegetable oils, which isn't great but isn't a big part of it. But about 3/32g (9%) by weight is sugar...
There are plenty of good peanut butters out there that are just peanuts and salt. The Costco brand is pretty good and at a reasonable price.

But, yes many of the mainstream peanut butters are nothing more than peanut flavoured oily sugar.

Peanut butter here is nothing contains nothing roasted peanuts - I think it tastes great just like that.

-S-

Hello,

One only has to pay attention with what we eat it. Indeed, because peanut butter is mainly fat, eating it with carbs (such as white bread) can be tough for glycemia management and can increase fat storage. Once again, I think it depends on when you eat it (after a training or not) and if you fast or not.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I eat two small clementines with my morning protein shake, with a yogurt mid-morning. Then, after my 30 minute lunch walk, I have an apple, and a second protein shake, with yogurt for dessert. The yogurt servings are the Dannon Light & Fit 50cal cups: 10g carbs, 7g sugars, 4g protein per cup.

I was recently notified that the Oikos Triple Zero yogurt might be even better for me as a diabetic. I will look into that & report back. I will have 2 more clementines late in the afternoon, before I head home to hit my kettlebells. I also have pistachios on hand if my hunger roars & water doesn't calm it down.

Yeah, it sounds like a lot of food/eating, but I am only taking in around 400 - 500 calories in all that food, including my coffee & sugar free creamer. adding a half cup of pistachios only adds 160 calories. So, for a 2500 calorie diet, I am undereating, & this is not counting the calories burned in 10,000+ steps a day plus my kettlebell workout.

I eat two small clementines with my morning protein shake, with a yogurt mid-morning. Then, after my 30 minute lunch walk, I have an apple, and a second protein shake, with yogurt for dessert. The yogurt servings are the Dannon Light & Fit 50cal cups: 10g carbs, 7g sugars, 4g protein per cup.

I was recently notified that the Oikos Triple Zero yogurt might be even better for me as a diabetic. I will look into that & report back. I will have 2 more clementines late in the afternoon, before I head home to hit my kettlebells. I also have pistachios on hand if my hunger roars & water doesn't calm it down.

Yeah, it sounds like a lot of food/eating, but I am only taking in around 400 - 500 calories in all that food, including my coffee & sugar free creamer. adding a half cup of pistachios only adds 160 calories. So, for a 2500 calorie diet, I am undereating, & this is not counting the calories burned in 10,000+ steps a day plus my kettlebell workout.
Thanks for sharing. Word to the wise (especially as you are a diabetic) - "Light" or "Low-fat" processed foods almost always swap fat for carbs, especially sugar. You heard correctly that plain yogurt (no sugar added) is the way to go. Add your own berries. "Light & Fit" yogurt you may as well have a handful of Skittles ;)

20-25% of daily calories during the undereating phase sounds right.

@Sean M, I was actually recommended to eat the Dannon Light & Fit by my nutritionist.....then my work offered free health coaching, and this person said that the Oikos Triple Zero would be better for me.....um, no. Oikos has, on average, 23g carbs & 11g sugars in each 225g serving. Not exactly diabetic friendly.. While Dannon is not much better, I enjoy it more than the Oikos. I waffle on eating it, because of the sugars, but the lower calories in the Dannon, and a taste I like, levels the argument to me. I know plain yogurt & fresh fruit would be better, but when you get lazy in the morning........Good information, thanks for reminding me. :(;)

What does infuriate me is all the sodium in low fat items.....

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom