all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed WATER INTAKE

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

dcp

Level 3 Valued Member
Morning to all -
Hope everyone is well. Just as an aside, I am doing Geoff's WOD program and I cannot praise it enough. Wow, who thought so much work could be accomplished in 15 minutes. And, my results are really good! So I digress....

Question: How much water should one truly take in daily? I am drinking too much I think and have been for a long time. I have googled for the answer but feel answers from this forum will be the best in the business.

Thanks and have a good Monday

I try to get about 3-4 liters a day. I pee all the time. Very annoying. A lot less fatigue and headaches than before when I was maybe drinking 2 max.

I've asked my brother about this since he is a nephrologist and I am a living kidney donor. LKDs are often advised to pay particular attention to hydration, so as not to make things difficult for the solo kidney to filter the blood. My brother says not to worry too much -- the body regulates hydration very, very well so it's OK to let thirst be your guide, generally speaking. The article below agrees with this perspective and provides more info.

Thanks to you both! I will read the article.
I am up on the best nights twice and often 3 to 4 times a night to go to the bathroom. It is really disruptive to sleep. I have tried stopping water intake earlier in the day but it still persists (the many times up a night). But, I really feel like I may be getting too much water...I am tracking starting today. Thanks to you both

People obsess over water intake, in part as a product of heavily marketed bottled water and sports drinks. As has been said just drink when you're thirsty. Is this was not enough humans would have died out thousands of years ago.

I am up on the best nights twice and often 3 to 4 times a night to go to the bathroom. It is really disruptive to sleep. I have tried stopping water intake earlier in the day but it still persists (the many times up a night). But, I really feel like I may be getting too much water...I am tracking starting today. Thanks to you both

I'd see a doctor, that is not normal.

It depends upon what your activity level is like and ambient conditions.
In daily living and easy training, drinking only when thirsty works just fine.

Doing seriously hard training and activities in harsh conditions (including altitude): drinking only when you are thirsty can be a quick trip to being dehydrated, heat exhaustion, heat stroke, and the hospital.
One needs to hydrate well before they are thirsty.

But… to @Red_and_Black ’s point getting up that often at night seems excessive and could be a sign of something else. See a doctor.

Monitoring the color of one's urine seems to give good insight on hydration level although that is a lagging indicator as is thirst. Water upon waking is a given for me plus when anticipating and following up heavy sweating activities.

An online search for urine color charts should return plenty of resources.

It depends upon what your activity level is like and ambient conditions.
In daily living and easy training, drinking only when thirsty works just fine.

Doing seriously hard training and activities in harsh conditions (including altitude): drinking only when you are thirsty can be a quick trip to being dehydrated, heat exhaustion, heat stroke, and the hospital.
One needs to hydrate well before they are thirsty.

I was assuming training as he suggested, and totally agree with your other point; alpinism, ultra races, work at altitude, hard loaded carries, etc. might need different approaches.

Indeed, you may want to follow up with a physician.

I drink a gallon of water a day and make sure to get plenty of salt/electrolytes as well. I feel better than what I did when I was drinking 1-2 liters per day.

Thanks all for the great insight. I will get in for a physical...overdue. Not to mention, now I am concerned :oops:

I definitely think I was overdosing on water. I never tracked it but it was excessive for sure. Tracking today...will see how tonight goes.
Thanks again.

As mentioned above, depends on activity/conditions/duration. Most of what I've read puts water intake btwn. 1/2 to 1 oz per lb. of bodyweight per day. Good idea to get a check up with a look at fasting insulin, blood glucose, and HbA1C.

As @Don Fairbanks says it is a concern if you feel thirsty and are peeing a lot during day & night it could be Diabetes (hopefully not, but being diabetic myself a spike in blood glucose make me pee a lot)

As for the minimums just yesterday I saw this table..which I never saw which pair amount of water with daily kcals intake, it certainly draw my attention, anyway it sorts of match my daily intake at around 3k calories.
Captura de Pantalla 2021-08-03 a la(s) 16.06.53.png
source:
Grandjean, A., K. Reimers, and M. Buyckx. "Hydration: Issues for the 21st Century." Nutrition Reviews 6, no. 8 (2003): 261–71.

Morning to all -
Hope everyone is well. Just as an aside, I am doing Geoff's WOD program and I cannot praise it enough. Wow, who thought so much work could be accomplished in 15 minutes. And, my results are really good! So I digress....

Question: How much water should one truly take in daily? I am drinking too much I think and have been for a long time. I have googled for the answer but feel answers from this forum will be the best in the business.

Thanks and have a good Monday
Many experts recommend the basic requirement of 1 liter for both women and men.

Get your prostate checked.
After a certain age, this is standard practice.

Most men at my age and older have an enlarged prostate: Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia. It generally means you’ll get up to pee during the night. There’s plenty to read in the subject out there for anyone interested.

-S-

-S-

Thanks to all....what an awesome forum. I am set for the doctor exam on 8/20. Hope everyone has a great Monday

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom