all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Wave Loading and Turkish Get-Ups

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Cryptogram

Level 1 Valued Member
I've been doing Pavel's Simple program since last April. Currently, I do 18 kg for GU's, but I'm not happy with my progress. I feel like I'm on the verge of overtraining. Aside from cutting back to four days a week, can you suggest a Wave Load Get-Up routine? The WL routines I see out there involve a lot of reps. (Five reps on each side seems like the right amount.)

I'd also like to do a couple of accessory exercises to address specific weakness, like Shoulder Presses for shoulder strength.
Should such exercises be done twice a week?

To train for a heavier bell, I'm also thinking of breaking the get-up into individual components, and training backwards. Should that be done at the end of my regular workout? What's the training frequency?

By the way, I'm 59 years old.

Thanks,

Jim

I've been doing Pavel's Simple program since last April. Currently, I do 18 kg for GU's, but I'm not happy with my progress. I feel like I'm on the verge of overtraining. Aside from cutting back to four days a week, can you suggest a Wave Load Get-Up routine? The WL routines I see out there involve a lot of reps. (Five reps on each side seems like the right amount.)

I'd also like to do a couple of accessory exercises to address specific weakness, like Shoulder Presses for shoulder strength.

To train for a heavier bell, I'm also thinking of breaking the get-up into individual components, and training backwards. Should that be done at the end of my regular workout? What's the training frequency?

Thanks,

Jim
Hi Jim, welcome!

I have had good success with wavy programming for the TGU (and Swings). I only did about 15-18 sets per week (per arm).

a) You can pre-plan your volume.
For example, here are the weekly sets for 4 weeks (64 sets per month):
10, 14, 18, 22
You can shuffle them in any order that you like, but his one works well:
18-14-22-10
Then wave them within the weeks as well (again, switch up the order within the week for maximal contrast)
For example:
10 = 2, 3, 5
14 = 2, 3, 4, 5
18 = 3, 4, 5, 6
22 = 2, 4, 5, 5, 6

You could weave in heavier weights and wave that volume as well. If you are interested, I could write about that, too.

b) or you can wave the load with a die, for example like this:
When the die shows... do X sets per arm:
1: 3 sets
2-3: 4 sets
4-5: 5 sets
6: 6 sets
Roll again when getting the same value.

As for specialized variety, you could go by feel or use a die:
some day, to "Get Downs" (starting at the top),
some days to slow TGUs to the Windmill position,.
sometimes only go the elbow or to the hand and double your sets (or do 2 reps per set).

For example, when the die shows... do X
1-3: Classic TGU
4: Get downs
5: Slow reps to windmill
6: To elbow/hand (double volume)
Roll again when rolling the same variation. Adjust the range to your likings.

Option b) is probably easier, when you are new to this.

Hi Jim,

Welcome to the forum!

Assuming your swings are progressing in a manner you are happy with, what's your current 1 rep max on your get-up?

Also, please post a video of your get-up. There might be some technical flaws that, if fixed, would help your progress.

Thanks,

Jim
Multiple reps same side , and could do some presses during the GU, with a lighter bell. FS 's for more stand up strength

Kettlebell Strong first, Pavel’s program has a wave TGU program. It would be unfair for me to give the program here, but you can purchase it. There are some discounts during special days in the website that sells the program. The videos really are very good.

Best;

What @Bauer said, wave the load progressively

Or take a more organic approach if you’re used to training and know how much you can do, so do more or less reps or more or less weight based on feel for that day… the TGU is a lift that does very well with “this feels about right for today” type of training. Don’t be afraid of lowering the weight or changing the frequency or number of reps, experiment!
Hi heavy sometimes for lower reps, go light for more reps, just do what feels right!
Think ” strong “ with the TGU, after a while you’ll know exactly what the right thing to do each day is

Not much of a “do this” advice, but the TGU is one of those exercises that lends itself extremely well to intuitive programming

Also, mentally, don’t discount the progress you’ve been making! Whilst 18kg seems light in the strength world, in general it is not! Remember you’re standing up from the floor with a weight overhead that is roughly the weight of a sack of animal feed that most people struggle to even lift up from the floor, don’t be discouraged! Stick with it until it feels right, and you’ll reep the benefits forever after!
There’s no rush at all, work that 18kg for all it has to offer (which is a lot!)

Hi Jim,

Welcome to the forum!

Assuming your swings are progressing in a manner you are happy with, what's your current 1 rep max on your get-up?

Also, please post a video of your get-up. There might be some technical flaws that, if fixed, would help your progress.
Hi John,

The day after posting the question, I jumped from 18 kg to 20 kg. (The former, I can do for 5 x 5. The latter, 1 x 4). I'll post a video within a week.

Also, mentally, don’t discount the progress you’ve been making! Whilst 18kg seems light in the strength world, in general it is not! Remember you’re standing up from the floor with a weight overhead that is roughly the weight of a sack of animal feed that most people struggle to even lift up from the floor, don’t be discouraged! Stick with it until it feels right, and you’ll reep the benefits forever after!
There’s no rush at all, work that 18kg for all it has to offer (which is a lot!)
Thank you, Claude. The day after posting the question, I jumped from 18 kg to 20 kg. (The latter, 1 x 4.)

Kettlebell Strong first, Pavel’s program has a wave TGU program. It would be unfair for me to give the program here, but you can purchase it. There are some discounts during special days in the website that sells the program. The videos really are very good.

Best;
Thanks, I'll check it out!

Hi Jim, welcome!

I have had good success with wavy programming for the TGU (and Swings). I only did about 15-18 sets per week (per arm).

a) You can pre-plan your volume.
For example, here are the weekly sets for 4 weeks (64 sets per month):
10, 14, 18, 22
You can shuffle them in any order that you like, but his one works well:
18-14-22-10
Then wave them within the weeks as well (again, switch up the order within the week for maximal contrast)
For example:
10 = 2, 3, 5
14 = 2, 3, 4, 5
18 = 3, 4, 5, 6
22 = 2, 4, 5, 5, 6

You could weave in heavier weights and wave that volume as well. If you are interested, I could write about that, too.

b) or you can wave the load with a die, for example like this:
When the die shows... do X sets per arm:
1: 3 sets
2-3: 4 sets
4-5: 5 sets
6: 6 sets
Roll again when getting the same value.

As for specialized variety, you could go by feel or use a die:
some day, to "Get Downs" (starting at the top),
some days to slow TGUs to the Windmill position,.
sometimes only go the elbow or to the hand and double your sets (or do 2 reps per set).

For example, when the die shows... do X
1-3: Classic TGU
4: Get downs
5: Slow reps to windmill
6: To elbow/hand (double volume)
Roll again when rolling the same variation. Adjust the range to your likings.

Option b) is probably easier, when you are new to this.
Wow, this is excellent! How would I weave in heavier weights? By the way, after posting the question, I jumped from 18 kg to 20 kg (the latter, 1 x 4).

Wow, this is excellent! How would I weave in heavier weights? By the way, after posting the question, I jumped from 18 kg to 20 kg (the latter, 1 x 4).
This depends a bit on your weight jumps.

I did it with 8 kg jumps and added replaced about 9 reps per month with a heavier weight. (Thus moving up to the next weight within 7 months). I would also wave those, indepently from the general volume.

Here is an example (I also used a lighter weight for a couple of reps):
TGUsTotal SplitG+ SplitTotal RepsG- RepsG RepsG+ RepsSplit
Week 1DB
22​
4​
14​
4​
Week 2AD
10​
1​
3​
6​
Week 3BA
14​
2​
9​
3​
Week 4CC
18​
3​
10​
5​

However, with 2 kg jumps you could replace something like 30-50% of your monthly volume with the heavier weight.

A three month progression could look like this for you:

Month 1total reps18 kg20 kg
Week 1
18​
13​
5​
Week 2
14​
7​
7​
Week 3
22​
18​
4​
Week 4
10​
4​
6​
Month 2total reps18 kg20 kg
Week 1
14​
2​
12​
Week 2
18​
11​
7​
Week 3
10​
0​
10​
Week 4
22​
7​
15​
Month 3total reps18 kg20 kg
Week 1
18​
0​
18​
Week 2
22​
0​
22​
Week 3
10​
0​
10​
Week 4
14​
0​
14​

You could also change the order of the weeks. And wave within a week as well. This approach worked really well for me. Whenever a week felt easy, I knew that it would help me to be fresh for an upcoming heavier week and vice versa.

Last edited:

I did it with 8 kg jumps and added replaced about 9 reps per month with a heavier weight. (Thus moving up to the next weight within 7 months). I would also wave those, indepently from the general volume.

Week 1DB
22​
4​
14​
4​
Week 2AD
10​
1​
3​
6​
Week 3BA
14​
2​
9​
3​
Week 4CC
18​
3​
10​
5​

However, with 2 kg jumps you could replace something like 30-50% of your monthly volume with the heavier weight.

Week 1
18​
13​
5​
Week 2
14​
7​
7​
Week 3
22​
18​
4​
Week 4
10​
4​
6​
Week 1
14​
2​
12​
Week 2
18​
11​
7​
Week 3
10​
0​
10​
Week 4
22​
7​
15​
Week 1
18​
0​
18​
Week 2
22​
0​
22​
Week 3
10​
0​
10​
Week 4
14​
0​
14​

You could also change the order of the weeks. And wave within a week as well. This approach worked really well for me. Whenever a week felt easy, I knew that it would help me to be fresh for an upcoming heavier week and vice versa.
There was a typo in my previous email. I can do 20 kg for 4 x 4.

Week 1DB
22​
4​
14​
4​
Week 2AD
10​
1​
3​
6​
Week 3BA
14​
2​
9​
3​
Week 4CC
18​
3​
10​
5​

Week 1
18​
13​
5​
Week 2
14​
7​
7​
Week 3
22​
18​
4​
Week 4
10​
4​
6​
Week 1
14​
2​
12​
Week 2
18​
11​
7​
Week 3
10​
0​
10​
Week 4
22​
7​
15​
Week 1
18​
0​
18​
Week 2
22​
0​
22​
Week 3
10​
0​
10​
Week 4
14​
0​
14​

Attached are two videos, left and right, with 20 kg. What's the best way to drive up to the elbow? Thanks.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom