all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Wave Loading and Turkish Get-Ups

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hi Mark, attached are two videos, left and right, with 20 kg.
On our forum, pictures can be uploaded but not videos. For the latter, upload them to a public place - YouTube is popular but there are others - and then post a link to the videos in your post here.

-S-

You may want to try organically waving the load. For example.
Day 1, 20kg get down ( or if you have a spotter 24kg) for a 2x4 each side
Day 2, 5x5 16kg get ups
Day 3, 5x5 12kg get ups

If you are training 4 days, on the 4th day, King TUT or pressing get ups with a light bell, maybe 12 kg.

If you don't have access to a 16kg, try a bottoms up get up.

This depends a bit on your weight jumps.

I did it with 8 kg jumps and added replaced about 9 reps per month with a heavier weight. (Thus moving up to the next weight within 7 months). I would also wave those, indepently from the general volume.

Here is an example (I also used a lighter weight for a couple of reps):
TGUsTotal SplitG+ SplitTotal RepsG- RepsG RepsG+ RepsSplit
Week 1DB
22​
4​
14​
4​
Week 2AD
10​
1​
3​
6​
Week 3BA
14​
2​
9​
3​
Week 4CC
18​
3​
10​
5​

However, with 2 kg jumps you could replace something like 30-50% of your monthly volume with the heavier weight.

A three month progression could look like this for you:

Month 1total reps18 kg20 kg
Week 1
18​
13​
5​
Week 2
14​
7​
7​
Week 3
22​
18​
4​
Week 4
10​
4​
6​
Month 2total reps18 kg20 kg
Week 1
14​
2​
12​
Week 2
18​
11​
7​
Week 3
10​
0​
10​
Week 4
22​
7​
15​
Month 3total reps18 kg20 kg
Week 1
18​
0​
18​
Week 2
22​
0​
22​
Week 3
10​
0​
10​
Week 4
14​
0​
14​

You could also change the order of the weeks. And wave within a week as well. This approach worked really well for me. Whenever a week felt easy, I knew that it would help me to be fresh for an upcoming heavier week and vice versa.
Here are the links to my 20 kg Get-Ups. Left side: Left Get Up
Right side: Right Get Up

What's the best way to get to my elbow? Thanks.

You may want to try organically waving the load. For example.
Day 1, 20kg get down ( or if you have a spotter 24kg) for a 2x4 each side
Day 2, 5x5 16kg get ups
Day 3, 5x5 12kg get ups

If you are training 4 days, on the 4th day, King TUT or pressing get ups with a light bell, maybe 12 kg.

If you don't have access to a 16kg, try a bottoms up get up.
Good suggestion! Thanks.

Ok so while it's fairly safe there are a few things you can definitely improve

1. Aim to make each step smoother and really focus on the roll to elbow, you still kind of sit up
2. If you can go slower on the descent then that would be even better.

I would recommend working up to doing 2-3 consecutive reps per side with the 16kg one day and then go slower on the 20kg another day..

Those will be enough to build strength for you to eventually move up to the 24kg..

Have you considered getting some coaching with an SFG either in person or virtual?

Thanks for posting these. Overall, not bad. Here are some things I suggest you address:
1 - Do not let your wrist extend. Keep a straight line from your pinky knuckle, through your wrist to your elbow. We like to say, just like there are "no wrists in punching" there are also no wrists in KBs. Allowing the KB to force your wrist into extension will offset the weight more behind you making an already unstable load (due to the off center grip of the KB) even more unstable.
2 - Lock your loaded elbow completely straight. Do not let it bend until you bring the KB back down at the end of the sequence.
3 - Get more external rotation in your base arm when you get up onto the hand and come back down to the hand. The easiest way to do this is to point the fingers back behind you rather than to the side. This will give you more external rotation of the elbow resulting in more lat contraction which will keep your shoulder more stable.

These points alone should make the 20k feel much lighter.

As @Mark Limbaga mentioned, there's no substitute for a competent SFG coach with eyes on you in real time.

2 - Lock your loaded elbow completely straight. Do not let it bend until you bring the KB back down at the end of the sequence.
That's the thing that I saw as well.

A locked elbow won't feel natural at first. You will have to focus on it throughout the whole movement, probably with a lighter weight (or a shoe) really tensing the triceps to keep the elbow fully extended until you can keep it locked throughout. Once that habit is "locked in" so to speak, you can put your attention elsewhere.

The locked-out arm will be stronger and safer when you get to heavier weight.

What's the best way to get to my elbow? Thanks.
I would like to build on the ideas from John Spezzano, Anna C and Mark Limbaga.

For the roll to elbow:
  • Try to keep your base shoulder down. Actively pull your elbow towards your body while rolling onto it. Two cues to experiment with:
    • Imagine hitting someone behind you with your elbow.
    • Imagine stretching a bow.
  • Experiment with the free hand. Maybe it helps you to point your palm upwards or sidewards and/or to make a fist.
  • Experiment with the angle of your torso during the roll. You could imagine being pulled upwards in a 45° degree angle, leading with your sternum.
Generally, try to feel gravity and the impact of the bell in your body. At times it looks as if the center of gravity might not be centered on your joints, but a little behind. Try to feel the force going through your shoulders and stacking your body below it.

Overall I think it looks pretty solid. Keep it up!

Impressively smooth to my untrained eye.
Lots of good sdvice already. I liked the cues on the roll to elbow. Thats my problem.
To add, your Bell- holding wrist gets extended. It makes it harder to lock out the elbow.
One learn to firm up the body better as we progress. It just takes a lot of practice. :)

My only advice is in between sets get a weed tool and dig the crab grass out of the asphalt. The get-ups look strong other than the technical aspects given above.

1. Aim to make each step smoother and really focus on the roll to elbow, you still kind of sit up

I would recommend working up to doing 2-3 consecutive reps per side with the 16kg one day and then go slower on the 20kg another day..

Those will be enough to build strength for you to eventually move up to the 24kg..

Have you considered getting some coaching with an SFG either in person or virtual?
My only advice is in between sets get a weed tool and dig the crab grass out of the asphalt. The get-ups look strong other than the technical aspects given above.
Hilarious! I'll pass on the weeding tip to my daughter and son-in-law.

This is my second week of alternating 3 reps with 16 kg one day (total of 9 reps per side) and one rep with 20 kg the other day (5 total per side). So far, it feels great! I'm up to 5 reps with 20 kg.

Regarding personal instruction, I had 5 lessons with a local SFG I instructor. (He taught me the swing and get-up.) Tonight, I'll reach out to a local SFG II for my next lesson on the get-up.

One thing, I think I see, is that you might not be firing your lats hard when rolling to the first elbow position. That was my biggest hangup when I moved up from the 24KG. I sort of just figured it out on my own, and then promptly forgot it again, then cleaned up my form and was coasting well to simple and then hit a hangup after I'd hate a two week break due to work and life.

You need a real solid core in the roll to the elbow. I do see some funky shifting of your hand getting down too. I have that too, some. But awareness helps in trying to clean up the form.

There was a video that @tomstranger posted I think some years ago that really helped me sort myself out. I'll see if I can find it. Some Russian lady that lives in Australia or something like that.

EDIT: I found what I was looking for. But it wasn't Tom. I'm misremembering...getting old. It was @John K ; Kettlebell - Lighter getups x more reps to get past plateau?

But it wasn't even this video, but another one put out by her is the one I'm thinking of;

The first part of this video is specifically what I'm thinking of when I watched your two videos above.

P.S. @tomstranger Has some really good insight too sometimes...

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom