all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Weak Wrists! Pain from doing regular push-ups...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

VonLuck

Level 1 Valued Member
Hello team,

I've become very capable with pull-ups, chin-ups, and push-ups over the last couple years.

However:

I have to do all my push-ups with the "perfect push-up" handles, because my wrists... they must be weak or something. If I do them with palms flat, eventually sharp pain begins inside the carpals. I stretch and warm them up, and I'm sure it's healthy, but it only aggravates the pain.

I'm learning from the 1-arm pull-up practice I'm doing that ligaments must be strengthened, and I'm making quick progress in the epicondyles (where the ligaments attach to the bone near the elbows, if I'm not mistakes) near my elbows, which ached after my first two days of practicing the 1-arms. Just a few weeks later, and they don't ache at all.

Do any of you guys have any advice for me with the wrists? I'm 32 and even though I'm a full-time firearms instructor, 90% of my work still ends up being at a desk behind a screen. I would really appreciate any wisdom you could offer on how to strengthen up my wrists (if it's even possible?), or if any of you have experienced this...

Thank you, friends.

VL

Fortunately there are many things one can do to strengthen the wrists...
(No particular order)
  • OS Rocking variations
  • TGU's
  • Bottoms up KB work
  • Wrist Pronators
  • Reverse wrist curls
  • Wrist Roller
  • Wrist Wrench (I've never used)
  • Rice Bucket
  • Wrist drills from SJ
However... sharp pain is never a good sign.
You might need to stop push-ups or do them elevated for a while whilst you explore some of the wrist strengthening options.
Lastly, you might want to consult a medical professional if the condition persists; before you do any damage...

I would check with a Dr to make sure there are no underlying connective tissue issues. It doesn't really sound like a strength problem.

Use the PU handles or parallettes, nothing wrong with that. Hindu pushup boards also work well.

I'd consider doing maybe your first set with your hands and then switch to the assistance gear. Over time you might find flexibility/load bearing improves on its own.

Great tips @offwidth!
Maybe you have been doing too many pushups lastly and just need a week off from pushups. That might be a good time to focus on the things that @offwidth recommended.
Another thing to consider is your tecnique on the pushups: most people I see place their hands too close towards their hips which will overextend the wrist and lead to pain in the ling term especially with high reps or a lot of weight (like in wheighted pushups or OAPU) . Ideally you want your wrist to be right under your shoulder or slightly in front of them.
Another thing which contributes to that are your feet. Dig the balls if your feet powerfully into the ground while pushing through your heels as if you wanted to touch them to the floor. At the same time keep your glutes and abs contracted. This will keep you from getting saggy and will do a lot to position the body correctly.

Hey VL,

First, seek professional/medical attention. You just never know.

Offwidth provided a great list of things to try.

Here's a playlist of handstand-prep moves. The first two videos may be particularly helpful:
Handstand Prep - YouTube

All that said, there's no shame in performing strict push-ups on stands or the fists.

I've had my share of wrist issues, the cost of music school and hours of guitar practice/typing. pushups were my bread and butter but they hurt. what really helped me was kettlebell work, just developing the rack position and having it overhead with a straight wrist. contrast baths can help, cold water to hot.
Good luck

Hey, thank you guys very much. I've made a list of your suggestions and will work them into my routine.

Thanks again, guys.

VL

I use the perfect pu handles too....otherwise I would just have to quit doing pu’s. I’ve actually grown to like them because I can squeeze the handles hard and feel like I get more tension going than with flat palms. I also use them for wall handstands. I know a lot of people look down on them but at 60 years old and with arthritis they keep me in the game.

Hello,

@VonLuck
Do you also have this issue when doing push ups on the fists (so they are in line with the forearm) ?
Otherwise, @offwidth advises are very wise !

Kind regards,

Pet'

If I may ask - what part of your wrist hurt when doing Pushups?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom