all posts post new thread

Barbell Weekend training

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

DanielGreen

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi,

Due to various time constraints - uni and work etc - I only have the weekends to train.

I also only have limited equipment - I train in my garage as it's cheaper and I only have access to a barbell with 'big plate' jumps and a space to do pull ups.

Could anyone recommend a routine that I could use ? Main aim is to get stronger - in particular the deadlift.

Cheers, Dan

Not strictly advice on weekend only training, but did you think about short daily sessions during the week? If you have 10 minutes, you could do the deadlift part of Power to the People, or any of the numerous frequent training programs out there. Same for pull ups,maybe alternating days. I don't have to, but I like training twice a day. Currently, I am doing the daily dose deadlift plan just before lunch (see thread of the same name in this sub-forum for details). I am done in 10 minutes. I then do other stuff at night, but if you only have 10 minutes, you can do something that will get you closer to your goal. You can then train longer during the weekends if you want.

+1 for Easy Strength

I have no experience with Daily Dose Deadlifts, but I agree that with programs that are based around 70%-75% of 1RM you can finish a very productive session in 10 minutes.

I hear you. I go through periods when I just don't have the time to train for even 10 minutes, kids, work, study, chores, etc. I've tried getting up a little earlier and getting in some swings and TGUs which worked ok.

Something to consider is just using this period to rest your body and rather than make progress, just prevent regress so you can put the hammer down when time frees up.

There are some good barbell complexes that can be done very quickly as a circuit; think "progressive pulls" Marty Gallagher describes. Another would be MTN tactical "barbell complex". Complexes could be done in a variety of frequency/volume scenarios.

Shortest Daily Sessions:
Daily dose deadlifts (1 set daily) all week + high volume presses on the weekend. Because you don't have micro-plates, you'll have to start over each week adding 1 rep each week. Not sure when exactly to switch to the next plate though, maybe when your week starts at 8 reps.

For an anti-thesis to short daily sessions:
With only training 1-2 consecutive days a week, keep your volume high those days and expect to be sore the next few days. I'm thinking something pretty brutal like german volume training (10x10 @ ~60% 1RM)

If you could get one session in during the week, and another on the weekend, you could do a little less volume at a little higher weight. I'm thinking something more like 5x5 @ ~80% 1RM.

Each session, I would pick one movement from each of the major planes: press, pull, hinge, squat. If you have time, maybe add some accessory movements after. Again, without micro plates, you'll have to go through the programs adding volume until you can start over at a low volume with a higher weight.

@DanielGreen, I don't recommend a focus on the deadlift if you only have weekends. Try a strength day and a strength-endurance day. Maybe bench press for strength and kettlebell snatches for the other.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom