all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Weekly Routine

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

P3mit

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi looking for a routine that I can complete 6 days per week. I am 62 and want to sustain general fitness and strength. I play competitive 6 a side walking football and doubles tennis so feel my week needs some easy running. I also like the minimum programs. My plan was alternating days of deadlifts 2x5 and TGU 2x5 with days of 30 minute easy running(65%hrm). This would be done on days where there was no football or tennis. Any ideas, thoughts would be welcomed.

Hi @P3mit

A bit more information about your activity levels and training over the last few years could help people here give you a more informed opinion of what could be suitable for you. Do you have any recent experience lifting weights or are you starting from scratch?

Thanks, I have done some form of training most of my life, mainly geared towards soccer. I have some experience with stronglifts 5x5 and simple and sinister. I have always felt my pushing strength lagged well behind my pulling. Have always been able to complete 5 pull ups without any training and can relatively easily deadlift 120 kg but struggle to military press 30kg and get my bench above 60kg.With SandS could swing 32kg but found TGU with 16 kg very testing. Possibly even thinking 2 strength sessions per week(deadlift, kb press, pull ups, push-ups) and one long run(8 km). This would then leave time for the football and tennis. Regards

OK, so you're in much better shape than the average 62 YO I see these days.

2 strength sessions each week should be fine, maybe focus on the deadlift as your main lift and cycle the intensity on the other lifts. If you do a fairly regular routine with the deadlifts at around 75% of your max (calculated from a 1rm calculator) and then have a heavier day and lighter day on the other lifts, you'll make some really good gains and not push yourself into over training.

Just a rough template for an example
Day 1 - deadlifts, heavy press (not too heavy) and around 60% of the reps you can do for the pullups, pushups
Day 2 - deadlifts, light press and pullups somewhere around 80% max reps and pushups

There's no need to use that exact template, just keep in mind that you don't have to lift near your max every session to make gains. If you are adding TGU's, there's no need to go heavy there, just think of that as loaded mobility work. They'll give you a great deal of benefit even at a low weight. I've seen 20 year olds struggle with 16kg on the TGU, so even a 12kg can be helpful there until you get a bit a practice under your belt.

Some of the others could have some better suggestions, so wait to see what they say.

Good luck with it @P3mit

thanks @Tarzan, I am thinking as a start for 3 weeks, as my routines over the last 6 months have been a bit erratic

Day 1 deadlift (4 sets of 5 at 60 80 80 80) single kb press (3 sets of 5 at 12 12 12) pull ups (2 sets of 4) pushups (2 sets of 8) TGU( 3 pairs at 12)

Day 2 deadlift (4 sets of 5 at 60 80 80 80) single kb press (3 sets of 5 at 10 10 10) pull ups (2 sets of 4) pushups (2 sets of 8) TGU( 3 pairs at 8)

then look at some cycling with the deadlift heavier weight but remaining quite conservative with the kb press and the TGU, as the tennis is quite demanding on the shoulders but feel both the press and the TGU will prove beneficial to them in the long term.Might put the pullups and pushups at the end after TGU, will just see how that feels. However hope to keep to the routine long term as in the past have changed too often.

Thanks for your input.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom