all posts post new thread

Nutrition Weight gain advice needed!!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Lewwie89

First Post
So I was 170 even in april. Ended up losing at least 20 pounds in 2 months. I wasnt able to work out keep my diet going ect. About 30 days ago I was able to start my eating and exercise routine back. I've been logging every micro and macro ect. For last 19 days. My calorie intake is 3800-5000 a day. With 50 carb 30 fat and 20 protien. I dont care what I eat as long as I'm eating. My main diet is rice beans tuna eggs milk juice bread ect. I'm also 2 weeks in on a creapure cycle and did a loading phase. I also drink anywhere from 100oz of water a day to 180oz of water a day.
BUT... I've only seen a 2 pound gain in 20 days and I'm very faith full to hittin 4k plus in calories a day. I do work out heavy every other day mainly body weight stuff push,pulls,dips with not set limit on sets just reps I count. I go till I tap completely maybe normally take about 2 hours with no break between exercises. I am seeing my size in arms and chest definition coming back but not on scale. My goal is to get back to 170 in 5-8weeks. I'm at 156. Ima also taking plant aminos full line and b12 both synthetic and natural.
My normal carb intake is500g to700
Fat bout 115-160
Protien 150-170
With 5g creapure
And 100-180oz water everyday

Any advice is well appreciated

How are you measuring your food?
What do your daily activities look like? (Are you walking 20 miles a day for work, stuff like that)

there seems to be a disconnect somewhere in there. Unless you meant to put your weight in as kilograms

but I suppose the end answer is going to be the same. Eat more. If you aren’t gaining, you aren’t eating enough to gain.

I would also add… how tall is the OP?
And what is the reasoning behind 170lbs? 156lbs seems a fine number (well that’s where I’m at more or less)

Folks want to (or in some cases need to) gain or lose weight for a whole variety of reasons.

But I suppose the end answer is going to be the same. Eat more. If you aren’t gaining, you aren’t eating enough to gain.
I agree with this but it's a bit weird that a consistent 3800-5000 calories daily results in such modest gain. When in doubt I always revert to the gallon of milk a day (GOMAD), on top of whatever I was eating before, but not long term, just to get the scales moving on a daily basis. For me, it's never failed.

BUT... I've only seen a 2 pound gain in 20 days
A pound in 10 days of solid mass is a good number. That would be 3lbs in a month, again, if that's mostly muscle you'd be doing very well.

My advice is to do a shorter more intense workout - 2 hours is a long session. Shorter and find a way to load it up instead of getting there with a ton of reps if at all possible. The heavier you can load it, the easier this all becomes.

Also, your fat macros are somewhat low. This will help with keeping your mass gains mostly muscle and less bodyfat, but I can tell you from personal experience that running real lean inhibits mass gain all the way around, even muscle. Make sure that 30% is really 30%.

Honestly, your gain is about spot on.

I agree with this but it's a bit weird that a consistent 3800-5000 calories daily results in such modest gain. When in doubt I always revert to the gallon of milk a day (GOMAD), on top of whatever I was eating before, but not long term, just to get the scales moving on a daily basis. For me, it's never failed.
That is why I asked about how they were measuring. People tend to vastly over and under estimate how much they eat. I suspect that is what is happening here.

First of all, did you check with your doctor on why the sudden 20 lbs. weight loss? I probably wouldn't have asked that six months ago. A young neighbor guy went on a clean diet with his young wife, and dropped 20 lbs. in a short time. She probably dropped 2 lbs. and suggested he visit a doc. I don't want to sound warning bells, but It was something serious in his case.

I have to agree with @LukeV on the milk, plus 20 rep barbell squats. Your routine sounds like it's mostly an upper body weight routine. Google John McCallum's Keys to Progress, on gaining weight. IIRC, his routine was three exercises, one set of barbell squats x 20 reps, 2 or 3 sets of bench press, and 2-3 sets of light bbell pullovers(after the bench press). Three sessions a week. No cardio, maybe some walking on days off, not more than a mile or two. Again, I'm going from memory, but the squat goal is to get up to 150% of bodyweight. I did this at 19 or 20, and it was no joke. I worked out in a basement gym and had to rest to walk up the stairs afterward. At that age, putting on weight was not a problem, with Mom's home cooking.

Thanks everyone for responding, this is an uphill battle. For a little more info I am 6foot and 31years old. So 156 isn't a good look. Back on april 28th I weighed my self and finally got to see myself in a mirror and was shocked by what 170 looked like on me. And no my weight loss was nothing crazy or anything but not going go to details. So yes I log every single thing I intake through a app. My fitness or something I literally scan every barcode and ect. Measure everything before planting ect. I will try raising my milk intake and I think even upping my carbs. And yes my routine has been mainly upper body. I do calf raises but I always skip on squats but I will integrate those into my routine post workout. And I dont do the protein shakes or ect. But was thinking about adding a mass gainer like a 400g carb 1000 calorie one. Just for a little extra boost. But thank you all once agian for responding if anything else pops in mind let me know.

Years ago I lifted at the same gym as this dude who looked like the Incredible Hulk, only not green. He was massive, one of the biggest guys I've ever seen. He told me his secret to mass gain was a shake he made himself, to the same macronutrient profile as mother's milk. Now I've never tried that personally, cow's milk always worked for me, but there's a certain logic to his approach. If you think about it, babies pack on the weight like nobody else

this is an uphill battle. ... my routine has been mainly upper body. I do calf raises but I always skip on squats

The biggest muscles are in the legs and back. Any program that doesn't prioritize those is going to suck for muscular weight gain. You are eating enough, your body just doesn't have much reason to add much muscle. Increasing food intake at this point is just wasting money, and you won't be any happier with your look if you manage to add fat.

The biggest muscles are in the legs and back. Any program that doesn't prioritize those is going to suck for muscular weight gain. You are eating enough, your body just doesn't have much reason to add much muscle. Increasing food intake at this point is just wasting money, and you won't be any happier with your look if you manage to add fat.
This!!! is the problem right here.

Any ambitious approach to putting on mass has to start with heavy leg work loaded through the spine. It is daunting at first, but it generates a huge metabolic and hormonal whack that drags everything else along in its wake.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom