all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Weight Increments

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Rastnik

First Post
Hi,

I've been doing Kettlebell work for 8months or so. I started with 20k, then moved to 28k and I'm now wondering if anyone has gone from 28k to 36k? When I switched from 20k to 28k the first 5 sessions or so felt challenging, but now the weight feels very manageable. Should I go conservative and get the 32k? Or just do the weight increment of 8k?

Thanks

Which movements are you doing??

It's fairly manageable to make the 8kg jump for goblet squats, swings in my experience

Presses, snatches and getups require more volume and a lot of patience.. and sometimes, a 4kg jump

Hi,

I've been doing Kettlebell work for 8months or so. I started with 20k, then moved to 28k and I'm now wondering if anyone has gone from 28k to 36k? When I switched from 20k to 28k the first 5 sessions or so felt challenging, but now the weight feels very manageable. Should I go conservative and get the 32k? Or just do the weight increment of 8k?

Thanks
I went from 24 to 32, and while it was hard at first for swings, the good thing is it forces you to be very competent with the previous weight. I have a 36, and 32-36 for swings was very easy.

As mark said, getups etc are different. I’m comfortable with the 24 now, but the idea of a 32kg getup is daunting and I’ll give it a good month or two before I even think about trying.

I was tempted to go from 32-40 for swings, but I think the 36 was a good idea for be. I have a 2nd 24 on the way which I hope to eventually use for the Giant. I say eventually because after I finish S&S I plan on doing the Giant with one 24, going to be a long while before I can use 2x24.

I don’t believe I will need anymore kb’s, at least for a year or two.

Get whatever one you want, either will work out great

I tried the 28->36 jump for pairs(double clean, double press, double front squat). It’s a very big jump. I was at 8RM on the 28s for press reps (press-press-press… with no Clean to break up the pattern) and wanted to get a pair of 32s to keep going. My guy was out of stock and offered to let me grab a pair of 36s for the same price.

I still can’t double strict Press the pair. I can get a few reps of cleans and whatever on squat and Swings (those lower body movements don’t really have an RM when you have good barbell squat and deadlift). I can sometimes single press one of them but not always. My goal for this year with kettlebells is to be able to run Strong Phase 1 with the pair of 36s by the end of the year.

I recommend doing a 4kg jump if possible.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom