all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Weight progression during training

Anth

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello!

Are there any programs that focus on increasing the weight during the session?

Most programs stick with a steady weight/reps protocol and increasing overtime, like simple and sinister. But I feel good when I increase the weight during a workout. something like this for 10 rep swings for example: 16, 16, 20, 20, 24, 24, 32, 32, 40, 40.
Then TGUs: 16/16, 20/20, 24/24, 32/32, 40/40.

I don’t see many programs that follow this type of protocol. Is there a reason for that? Does anybody train this way? Are there any benefits to it?

Like I said, I feel pretty good when I do those types of workouts. I usually auto regulate and only go up in weight if I feel strong. That way, the warm up is the work out, I’m moving some heavy weight, and I’m not really over training. Any thoughts about this type of training, or does anyone know of any programs I follow this protocol? Thanks.

Check out the iron cardio thread / product by Brett Jones, he calls them weight ladders from memory

Dan John revisited his 10k swing challenge with an option to wave the weights as you go through the rep scheme

If you would be training with the barbell, the equivalent of that would be ascending sets. With the barbell it's a legit way to train. I am not sure, but I think this is what Bill Starr originally did (I don't think he did sets across with his football players).

For the kettlebells - I am not sure. Kettlebell training (the S&S training, swings) is very RPE based: we have stop signs, and we strife to maintain power. I think this is hard enough, and there is no need to complicate it further.

I, myself, do implement lighter swings before my normal swings. But - I regard is as a specific warmup. Just like with the deadlift: 40% for 5, 60% for 3, 75% for 1, 90% for 1, and a working set for whatever reps you do it today.

I would do 16kg deadlift, 16x5 swings, 20x5 swings, 24x5 stop and go swings, and start my swing training.

I am believe in movement-specific warmup.

the warm up is the work out,
The Warm Up

The objective of a Warm Up it to prepare and individual for Heavier Loads in Training for a Top Set, which elicits a Greater Training Effect.

The issue is that many individual turn a Warm Up into a workout. Doing so ensure, less weight and fewer are Repetition are performed in a Top Set.

something like this for 10 rep swings for example: 16, 16, 20, 20, 24, 24, 32, 32, 40, 40.

Ten Set Workout

Does this example mean you perform each set one of these sets in one workout with this progression?

If so, that ensure your Top Set will less than it could be or should be.

Are there any benefits to it?
Endurance Training

It may improve Endurance.

I usually auto regulate and only go up in weight if I feel strong. That way, the warm up is the work out, I’m moving some heavy weight, and I’m not really over training.

Autoregulating

This is an effective method.

Perform a Movement with a Heavier Load or more Retition when you feel strong.

Perform a Movement with a Lighter Load or fewer Repetition when you don't feel as strong.

With that in mind, let's look at...

OverReaching

This means pushing yourself into a slightly OverTrained state. Recover occurs faster than if an individual is OverTrained.

OverTraining can take week or months to recovery from, depending on how long and hard you have pushed the training.

Periodization Training OverReaching

In a Periodization Trainng Cycle of let's say around 4 weeks Progressive Overloading needs to occur.

Think of each week as a Warm Up for the following.

That means the first week needs to be something easy.

The last week needs to be something that you push to the limit or near to it.

Once the final week is pushed to or near the limit, a New Periodization Training Cycle is begun with a Light Easy Load.

The Light Easy Load in the New Periodization Training Cycle promotes...

Active Recovery

The Light Load increase blood flow to the muscle that assist with Recover.

The Progressive OverLoad is follows as with the previous Training Cycle, ending with an OverReaching Workout.

I should clarify that I do this once a week as a way to maintain the movement patterns and strength, park bench style. I’m not trying to progress. If I feel strong I go up a weight, if I feel less strong, I go down a weight.
I like to always have swings in get ups in my week.

Back
Top Bottom